Enough trained HM doctors.....

Kube8

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this has been touched on in other threads, but.....

Lets just say that everything goes EXCEPTIONALLY well with Intercytex and it will grow hair that fulfills all of our wildest dreams...... how long after the procedure is available (at Bosley I hear who will get the rights) do we think that there will be enough qualified docs who can perform the treatment? And furthermore.... to the point that it will be reasonably priced.... say comparable to current hair transplant's or something like that.

It's one thing to have the procedure come out in 4 years or so, but we all know that we'll need legit, qualified and skillful people who can live up to the task of performing a new procedure like this. People who won't end up causing more damage than it's worth. Also, the clinics will have to pay for and acquire of the automated cell multiplication devices which they'll also have to learn to use properly.

Any thoughts?

jared_24

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies for changing the subject...... but how the hell can Bosley gain the (exclusive?!) 'rights' to a cosmetic procedure?!?

Even when it comes to Intercytex - just because they are developing and researching in to HM, surely doesn't give them the right to patent a surgical procedure? (As for as I know, no company has ever patented procedures such as breast enlargement, liposuction, rinoplasty, or even hair transplant etc. So why is HM considered any different?!?)

If this IS the case, then it is an issue we should all be concerned about as I'm sure Intercytex will sell the 'rights' to highest bidder, not the most skillful and competant individual/company.

(PS. I do fully acknowledge that I am jumping the gun with the above assumptions. All of the concerns are totally premature. :) )

Kube8

Established Member
Reaction score
jared_24 said:
Apologies for changing the subject...... but how the hell can Bosley gain the (exclusive?!) 'rights' to a cosmetic procedure?!?

Even when it comes to Intercytex - just because they are developing and researching in to HM, surely doesn't give them the right to patent a surgical procedure? (As for as I know, no company has ever patented procedures such as breast enlargement, liposuction, rinoplasty, or even hair transplant etc. So why is HM considered any different?!?)

If this IS the case, then it is an issue we should all be concerned about as I'm sure Intercytex will sell the 'rights' to highest bidder, not the most skillful and competant individual/company.

(PS. I do fully acknowledge that I am jumping the gun with the above assumptions. All of the concerns are totally premature. :) )

I could be wrong about that, but I have read (on here and other sites) that that was in fact the case. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good point about rights to a procedure, and how can somebody own them. I never thought about it before, but what comes to my mind immediately is that perhaps Intercytex will only deliver the multiplied hairs exclusively to Bosley for distribution, which is how Bosley will own the "rights" to deliver the technology (i.e., implant the multiplied hair follicles into our bald heads).

My other thought is that maybe the "patent" is for a delivery technique or more specifically delivery tool, which will be owned exclusively by Bosley.

Neither is a definite answer to the question, just my thoughts. Good question, though.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Intercytex owns the "know-how" of the procedure and i dont think they are going to sell it really soon. From the release of HM, i believe there will be many years before other clinics(not directly related to Intercytex) will be able to perfrom the procedure.

As for Bosley is just hope that their final involvement in the procedure will be minimum if not none at all.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that HM procedures will be idiot-proof: that all they have to do is inject the multiplied dermal papilla cells into the bald area of the scalp, and those transplanted cells will take it from there... and that the only reason one place might be rated higher than the other is that the person performing the injections does so with a little less grace a more pain than the other, higher-rated place. Sort of like donating blood - one nurse might stick the needle in at the wrong angle, while a more experienced nurse knows how to reach the vein quickly and painlessly.

"I hope"
-- Red, Shawshank Redemption. (LAME!=D)

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
the scalp is a net of blood vessels so I wouldn't worry about that. But someone please explain to me how this is considered HM. I thought HM involved taking a single follicle or small sample and making genetic clones of them and then implanting them the same way as an hair transplant. Are these dermal papilla that they are injecting going to result in DHT resistant follicles? I'm a little confused here so if any one can clear this up, that would be great. Thanks.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I understand now. Training and equipment will be worth the cost because if successful, then this procedure will be so popular that they will make a killing (considering they price it right). It will be like botox for men only more popular.

Re75

Reaction score
Well I would hope in the transitional phase one could still go to the source in the UK to get it right when it comes out. I would want to do it as soon as possible as I still have my hairline but the front is diffusing. Heh. I'm being optimistic of course it will still be like that by the time it comes out.

I agree about it prolly being idiot-proof too though. It's just light injections.

sammo

Established Member
Reaction score
maybe thats why it doesnt seem like theres much urgency to develop a hairloss cure. whoever finds it wont be able to manage to hord all the wealth for themselves, they'll only be doing a massive favour to mankind... but big companies dont care about favours.

sammo

debris

Reaction score
I think you worry too much about things that wont even happen. Its quite obvious that there wont be any cure in the next 5 years (Folica is in preclinicals, dont have drug candidate atm, ICX is not giving results good enought for the company to pay for trials 3 themselves, and I doubt that anyone else will without further readjustments to the procedure to get better results first). So why to worry about some skills?

debris

Reaction score
I'd say we should more worry about our combover skills mate.

if everything goes perfect and some 5 or 10 years from now on new approved procedure is available, then you dont have to worry about skill of the doctors anyway, because you will be somewhere way back in the queue, behind rich & famous. If it worked really great (nw7 to nw1), you wont be able even able to afford it in the first year or two. The demand will be so huge that there is no way it would be less then 100k.

all this skill worries are a bit unimporatnt really.

bababooey

Established Member
Reaction score
I can imagine in the future, you may not even need donor hair follicles for HM.

They will have a variety of DP with different colors, textures to choose from.
Maybe even turn brunettes to permanent blondes.
Even people in their 60s with full head of teenage hair.

Too bad my youth will be long gone by then :sobbing: