End of month 7 with my regimen. A crucial time?

bombscience

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm ending month 7 of the big three. For the first 2 months I was on the big 3 and only the big 3. After irritation continued for me I added folligen in the 3rd month which really helped relieved a lot of itching. At month 5 i added spironolactone after research and continued shedding.

In month 5&6 I saw my hairloss slow a little. However December, month 7 has been absolute hell. This was both before and after Saw P was a part of my regimen. I'm losing hair like crazy, and because they all thin completely towards the root I assume they aren't going to grow back. This could be a shed, but more likely this is the acceleration of my balding.

I'm asking to the people who have been on Fina/minoxidil/nizoral for over 7 months, is there anyone who saw massive hairloss for a good 4-5 weeks around the 7 month mark? Is there any hope beyond here for me? I'm trying to stay positive about this one, but the fact that my hairloss is accelerating right now is really bringing me down. I didn't notice my hair getting any thinner in the fall, but like magic after november my hair has definetly thinner out a lot faster than it ever has.

Thanks for your feedback.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
I have read that shedding occurs during the 1st 3-4 months, followed by the 8th month, then at the 12-13 months. Since you have shed the entire time, simply having the shedding more prevalent during this time frame, it is a tough call.

morpheus

Reaction score
you on topical spironolactone? its just that i used topical spironolactone for a few months, seemingly good results, then i had a fall out which im stillrecovering from, my scalp became very scaly, and ihad touse hydrocortisone a few times to get over it, ive cut spironolactone now, and im on alphosyl, minoxidil, msm, good combing, arginine and occasional topical finasteride, things are now recovering a bit, ive been on nizoral and finast oral for a year, but had tocut theoral finast due to side effects and switch to minoxidil, since the lastmonth.
hopethings improve for you, stay in there, things will get better

Scaramanga

Reaction score
Bombscience - Huge sheds are perfectly normal in the first year with the Big 3. Totally disheartening they may be, but they are a precursor to prolonged periods of steady maintenance / regrowth. Some products such as aloe vera / folligen / green tea, all well documented in this forum, may reduce the severity of the sheds. But all in all, its a case of one step back for two forward. Tough it out mate, the promised lands are in reach!

Ams99

Established Member
Reaction score
i thought it was normal for the hairs to thin at the root. doesn't this happen when the follicle stops being active and goes into telogen phase? i know my chest hair and leg hairs thin at the root too.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
Ams99 said:
i thought it was normal for the hairs to thin at the root. doesn't this happen when the follicle stops being active and goes into telogen phase? i know my chest hair and leg hairs thin at the root too.

during my transplant i got to see the donor area hair, skin, and follicles, the bulb seemed to be thickest part and gradually got thinner towards the end of the hair

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
zak and ams, I think you are both right. You two are just observing and referring to the different phases of growth. Sorry, don't mean to sound like a doctor, but seriously, both observations sound correct.

I think, from what I've read, that it's perfectly normal to see hairs thinner at the root when they fall out from telogen phase. I think a hair that is thick at the root when it falls out just means that it has been "pushed out" by another upcoming hair before it had the time to stop reproducing the hair (i.e. thinning at the root) itself. Does this make sense? =[

Bomb, what the hell, why isn't your hair loss ceasing? You aren't on generic proscar/propecia, are you? Anyway, I think the other posts about periodic shedding are correct. Your hairs are still going through their growth cycles. I'll bet you'll see good results in a few more months. Hope so. Good luck.

bombscience

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies guys. To answer some of the questions.

- I'm on real merck propecia
- I already use folligen daily
- Yes I'm using topical spironolactone, but i'm thinking about stopping usage until month 12 as it may be provoking this loss right now.
- The hair is supposed to thin at the root if moving into the telogen phase. However my hairs thin gradually over the entire length of the shaft losing all pigment and thickness. This is more of a sign of a follicle shutting down.

Here are some more questions I have.

I use Dr. Lee's minoxidil. Do any dr. lee minoxidil users here report success? Also how about anyone who uses his PG-Free Minoxidil having success? Dr. Lee's minoxidil has not helped me at all.

Any spironolactone users experience a shedding period about 2 months into treatment?