EMU OIL - questions - anyone had experinces? - and some info

ikaponthus

Reaction score
Hi,

Aparantly this stuff is really good for hair loss. I've read it penetrates the skin really well and can be used as an excellent transdermal carrier for minoxodil. It also promotes healthy hair and skin growth.
I've even read it acts as a natural DHT inhibitor due to some kind of special fatty acids it contains. Dunno how true this is though.

I've just got some and have been using it after I apply minoxodil. It feels nice but it leaves my skin feeling oily...unsurprisingly. But does this mean it is not penetrating the skin that well (because it's still oily on the surface?)

If anyone here has had any experiences/testimonials or whatever regarding emu oil I'd be very interested to hear about them.

For those that have no idea what I'm talking about, google it. There's plenty of information out there. Here's a little bit...

"The second conclusion of this study was that oleic acid, a monounsaturated fatty acid is the largest component of emu oil, that and this fatty acid may well be the main reason for this oil's amazing ability to penetrate the skin and carry with it health-bringing medications"

"The processed emu oil produced a 20% increase in DNA synthesis which meant that the growth activity of the skin of these animals had a 20% increase. Also the hair follicles were much more robust and the skin thickness had increased as well. Dr. Michael Holick, MD, Ph.D. who conducted these tests said they also discovered that "over 80% of hair follicles that had been asleep were woken up and began growing hair." He explained that hair follicles go through stages from resting to growth and back to sleep again, and that they awoke these hair follicles by stimulating them which indicates that it stimulates skin growth as well."

both quotes from http://www.explorepub.com/articles/emu.html

eliazush

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using Emu Oil for 2 months now. I first order it from folligen.com which is a formulation of emu oil and lycopene and other nice stuff in it. I loved it. A real drawback was the high price. So after I run out of it I order 1 litre bottle from emuoilcanda.com which for some reason absorbs slower than the folligen.com product.
I am happy with it in general. I feel it makes my scalp healthier and probably makes minoxidil and fluridil absorb more deeply. I even use it for my dry hand, legs elbows. Everything. I don't count on it as a hair restore product but I do think that if you are looking some good "add ons" to the "big three" (minoxidil, finasteride, nizoral) Emu oil would be a great option (and folligen would be the second great add on)

ShedMaster

Reaction score
been using emu oil from folligen.com for about 8 months so far. I started using it with folligen for blondes. the only drawback, like mentioned, is that its a little messy and leaves the scalp/hair oily. Definetely something that needs to be shampooed out the next morning or before you go out. I have to say nothing but good things about it and folligen for blondes.. I've posted on this before. I believe that its helped my hair quite a bit but not sure if its because of the folligen, emu oil or both. also you only have to use it every other day or so, according to the instructions so its not that big a deal. Ive been slacking off using it that much as of the past month or so but I say that I like it.

It is a little expensive but a single bottle goes a long freakin way because of how soluble (sp?) and oily it is. In other words, a little bit spreads quite a bit.

ikaponthus

Reaction score
Expensive? I guess it's cheap for me because I'm in Australia...

Also I noticed if I put it on before bed it has completely absorbed by the morning. And my skin looks really good ... I have been using it on my face too as a moisturiser (my skin gets hammered from the beach, sun and salt a lot).

ikaponthus

Reaction score
No idea sorry mate. My guess is that it doesn't really matter, especially if it really is effective as a transdermal carrier (and it seems to be, although I am yet to find a conclusive study).

I usually apply the minoxidil, rub it in (easy with a shaved head like me!) and wait for it to dry (a few minutes) then rub in the emu oil really well. Nice self head massage as a bonus. Hehe.

Withnail

Established Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that your skin still feels oily on the surface hours after you apply it, even just a drop, but this stuff is supposed be really good at penetrating the skin!

But when you use other creams etc. they just seem to disapear straight away.

Is this stuff bull???

Withnail

Established Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that your skin still feels oily on the surface hours after you apply it, even just a drop, but this stuff is supposed be really good at penetrating the skin!

But when you use other creams etc. they just seem to disappear straight away.

Is this stuff bull???