Embarassment buying propecia...

Reaction score
It was perhaps the situation alot of us dread...I'd been on propecia afew months, and went to the pharmacy to get my monthly fix, and as I approached the counter the woman standing behind it seemed kind of familiar...As I was handing her my prescription it finally clicked - it was a girl from my old school! Damn! The shame! This is the kind of thing you don't want getting out! To be honest, I wasn't surprised - in my case, these little secrets always get discovered. She didn't even let on if she recognised me, but I have a feeling she did. Oh well I don't go back to my hometown much, so I guess it doesn't really matter. Still...What are the chances??

first

Established Member
Reaction score
Imagine how you'd have felt had you gotten v**** instead :)

However, if one does not want to deal with it you can always buy it over the internet.

s.a.f

Reaction score
:doh: :doh: :doh: ouch.
I get mine posted to me 16mths supply at a time. Buy generic propecia is a rip off.

Reaction score
Yeah, I've considered buying it generic over the internet, but I don't want to get a credit card and also there's always that doubt about whether it's genuine. I just use the pill every second day, and nizoral on the day inbetween. That may sound like a bad idea, but it seems to work for me.

ali777

Reaction score
1) A pharmacist doesn't necessarily know what propecia is for. If the prescription is for finastride, she might think you are having some sort of prostate problems.

2) Why do you care what she thinks of you??? She serves 100s of sick people a day, she's seen it all and she wouldn't care.

3) Also, I would suspect that patient confidentiality rights extend to the pharmacies as well. I don't think she would be broadcasting your medical history to the whole town, that wouldn't be ethical/legal.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
ali777 said:
1) A pharmacist doesn't necessarily know what propecia is for. If the prescription is for finastride, she might think you are having some sort of prostate problems.

Agreed. Most chicks (especially young ones working in a pharmacy) have no clue what Propecia is. Half of them don't even know how to pronounce it. Also, agreed about Finasteride - it's for prostate problems, and 99% of pharmacists (even most doctors) don't even know Finasteride can be used for hairloss instead of Propecia.

What's MUCH WORSE is buying Rogaine! Now THAT is shameful! I HATE buying Rogaine becuase it is well known for treating hairloss from all the commercials on TV.

In fact, one time, this guy standing in line behind me at the checkstand (while tons of other people were standing in line, including some cute girls, btw), anyways, the guy started asking me questions about how I felt about the "effectiveness" of Rogaine, and if it was "working well" on me. The guy would not shut up, he just kept playing "20 questions about Rogaine" with me while standing in line. I just about died! I was SOOOO embarassed, that I had to put the Rogaine down and leave the store without buying it.

Since then, I travel to a store that is 20 miles away from where I live, so that the possibility of running into someone I know or see regularly is slim while I'm buying my Rogaine.

I would buy online, but the store I get it from (Costco) has a way better price than anything I have been able to find online.

No wonder you can't find a woman. Bro, you are 40. Please calmn down. Don't be embarassed. You did NOTHING wrong. Do short people apologize for being short?

Just joke it off man. Who cares?

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
2) Why do you care what she thinks of you??? She serves 100s of sick people a day, she's seen it all and she wouldn't care.

3) Also, I would suspect that patient confidentiality rights extend to the pharmacies as well. I don't think she would be broadcasting your medical history to the whole town, that wouldn't be ethical/legal.

You're over analysing it way to much, but if we didn't care what people thought why would we even bother dealing with our hair loss? Of course he cared what she thought, it is a natural instinct. I get the same feeling even with girls that I don't know if I get a prescription for propecia filled.

It wouldn't be about her telling people or even that he'll probably never see her again, it is just at that moment that he went to get his prescription filled for a drug that deals with a pretty embarrassing problem he got served by a girl who only knew him before he had the problem. In the same way that if I ever catch up for drinks with people from school that I haven't seen for ages I am extremely self conscious of my hair and how they will react...
This is no different.

If we all didn't care what woman thought, we'd all we rocking shaved heads and this forum wouldn't exist.

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy as Larry said:
Yeah, I've considered buying it generic over the internet, but I don't want to get a credit card and also there's always that doubt about whether it's genuine. I just use the pill every second day, and nizoral on the day inbetween. That may sound like a bad idea, but it seems to work for me.

You could always get a Visa debit card. It can be used like a credit card but takes funds directly from your actual account, I find it very useful.

@Dudemon, how much does costco charge for Rogaine? The generic stuff on Ebay is cheap as chips.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Tyler, I actually already have a VISA debit card, but wasn't even aware it can be used in the same way as a credit card. That's great. Would you guys say that Inhouse Pharmacy is a trustworthy online retailer? I'm tempted to get some proscar from there and split the pills...

Also, the girl did prepare the medication for me, and I thought the name gave away its function - propecia, alopecia lol

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry I must be thick. I am missing the whole point. Embarassment for what? So somebody you know knows you are losing hair? So what?

first

Established Member
Reaction score
vauxall said:
Sorry I must be thick. I am missing the whole point. Embarassment for what? So somebody you know knows you are losing hair? So what?
Likely cause vanity is not something most men wants to be known for.

ali777

Reaction score
Tyler_Durden said:
ali777 said:

You're over analysing it way to much, but if we didn't care what people thought why would we even bother dealing with our hair loss? Of course he cared what she thought, it is a natural instinct. I get the same feeling even with girls that I don't know if I get a prescription for propecia filled.

It wouldn't be about her telling people or even that he'll probably never see her again, it is just at that moment that he went to get his prescription filled for a drug that deals with a pretty embarrassing problem he got served by a girl who only knew him before he had the problem. In the same way that if I ever catch up for drinks with people from school that I haven't seen for ages I am extremely self conscious of my hair and how they will react...
This is no different.

If we all didn't care what woman thought, we'd all we rocking shaved heads and this forum wouldn't exist.

You are funny bro :woot: ... Me over analysing the problem??? I think it's you that over analyse the problem.

I'm trying to make a rational explanation as to why it is not a big deal. Obviously, for some people it is a big deal.

I have to admit that I feel a bit shy if I have to buy condoms in a big supermarket. I never know who I'm going to bump into, but apart from that I don't have any worries buying any product.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Doctor put down I needed my finasteride for prostate so I could get it for free, but the pharmacist was hella suspicoius. She suspiciously asked what I needed this med for, I said prostate, lol.

Girls aren't able to hold their emtions in well, and her expression said I am a lair lol. Which was true, I was lying. When she went on to describe the medication she focused on how I might see shedding and some hair regrowth on my head etc. Basically, she knew what was up.

LOL

Reaction score
To be honest, I was probably more annoyed at how unlikely it was she'd be there of all people - I didn't buy propecia in my hometown, I bought it in a different city. I mean come on! And yes, as a man I feel that people will use a demonstration of insecurity against you. The first time I bought propecia was worse, when honest to God, the girl I gave the prescription to came out of the backroom holding the box, with a huge grin on her face and said "That'll be 15 minutes" or something...As you can tell, I'm quite a sensitive person and do hold on to these negative memories.

s.a.f

Reaction score
dudemon said:
I know, but even though I'm 40 I don't feel any different than 20. And most women in my age range are not that much different than ones in the late 20's to 30 something.

If you think that women won't care as much about your hair when you are my age, you are mistaken. I would say that some of them won't, but the majority of them are not much different than women in your age group - as far as how they view bald men.

If you really want women of an age group that won't care, you'll have to go for the 60+ senior-citizen group, or something in that range.

Dude I think that you and me are not like most guys our age being single makes you totally different, I still think of myself as being like early 20's because I dont see myself as being 'grown up'.
I still like chart music, I still know whats going on in world as far young people are concerned. Whereas other guys my age with wife and kids have totally different lifestyles.

What type of women women do you go after if its women in your own age group then I cant believe that they'd all be worried about hairloss at that age priorities have changed for them.

It all depends what you want, if you're going to some pick up bar for one nighters than yes women know that they can get drunk young guys with NW1's for a a night of sex. But for a relationship they're going to be looking at more than a guys hair.

A funny thing happend to me yesterday I had to collect my 5 yr old neice from school and firstly I was suprised by the amount of men who pick up their children from school but the real shocker for me was that it was literally Horseshoe city! :woot:
Every guy there was like NW5+ :shock: and some of the young mums were pretty hot.
If these 20 something women are willing to have kids with total baldies then it cant be that big a deal for them. (unless of course CCS is right and the kids real dads are NW1's)

s.a.f

Reaction score
dudemon said:
RE: The married guys who are bald and have kids. I'd bet on it that most of their wives regret being married to a bald guy, and if they had their choice they'd probably choose otherwise. It's their children that keep them in their relationship, almost as if they are "trapped" and are just staying with their bald hubbies for their children's sake - in order to raise them in a stable house with a mom and dad. The real question is: "What are those hot moms going to do when their children are grown?" :whistle:

Here in the states (I'd guess about 7 or 8 times out of 10), a divorce would have came down the pipe (the wife isn't "happy" anymore and needs to see other people), and the lady would be shacking up with a good looking dude with hair, and the kids would have a new "step-dad." Custody almost always goes with the mother, usually their bald "real dad" would be paying child support, and be given "visitation rights" only. Here, the few bald guys that you would see picking up their kids from school, are usually alone with no wife.

Again with the pessimistic theory? :dunno: These guys were mainly 30 (ish) and being NW5/6's I'm sure that they must've been displaying some hairloss around the time when they fathered these 5yr old children. Some of the couples there also had preschool age kids with them.
If women are that afraid of being trapped with a bald man they would'nt marry any guy who was'nt still a NW1 at 30 or if they saw that the father in law was bald they'd break it off before getting too committed.

Jack

Reaction score
Agreed. Most chicks (especially young ones working in a pharmacy) have no clue what Propecia is. Half of them don't even know how to pronounce it. Also, agreed about Finasteride - it's for prostate problems, and 99% of pharmacists (even most doctors) don't even know Finasteride can be used for hairloss instead of Propecia.

I'd disagree here. When I did an internship at a pharmacy I pretty much knew what every drug available there was used for after a couple weeks ....you would be incredibly clueless not to , because
There aren't actually that many different kind of meds that people buy , and finasteride is one of the better selling meds .
Well not quite THE most sold drug , but people do buy it and eventually you get curious on what it's used for .
The place I worked in had mainly female pharmacists and in the lunch break they sometimes jokingly talked about these sort of things , like drug abusing or gross , emberassing stuff that people buy meds for .... :whistle: even the cleaning lady there was rather well educated on meds from overhearing stuff :woot:

BTW I'd find it more embarassing for a girl to think I have prostate problems in my 20s or 30s than to have hairloss . That's far more of an old-geezer-desease than hairloss is and serious prostate problems actually can make you fail in bed , unlike hairloss .

Reaction score
The place I worked in had mainly female pharmacists and in the lunch break they sometimes jokingly talked about these sort of things , like drug abusing or gross , emberassing stuff that people buy meds for

Yep, I knew it...

Reaction score
Jack said:
The place I worked in had mainly female pharmacists and in the lunch break they sometimes jokingly talked about these sort of things , like drug abusing or gross , emberassing stuff that people buy meds for

Yep, I knew it...