email to Dr Lee about finasteride and shed.....

KipWinger

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i have send a email to DR LEE to see if he can help me. i am on finasteride for 9 months. and the 6 firsts months was great. stopped hair loss, only 4 hair when i take bath, and my hair seems to improve well. in mounth 6 i started to shed more... like 30 or 40 hairs when i take a shower. no hair in pillow. when i touch my hair always one or two hairs coming out. i know the Telogen Effluvium is if you fall more than 100 hairs in a day... i dont know if this is my case.. maybe not...but i know that in 3 months i shed like i was shedding before the finasteride. is like this is not doing the work again. ppl please tell me what you think? anyone passed this? i need answeers... do i drop this? do i continue this? i dont like the ideia of minoxidil...that sucks...i dont want to apply that every other day of my life....

here is the email.

~Rafael Vieiraage:25 yearscountry:portugal hi, i need a advice of dr. Lee, i am taking propecia since 9 months ago. when i stated it to month 6 it completely stopped my hair loss and i can see some more new hair too. but in month 6 i started to shed very much, like 30 hair on bath evey day, and now my hair is worst that it was when i begin the treatment. every day it get worst. the situation is so bad that i can see my scalp , and before i cant.what i can do? drop finasteride?

Drop finasteride.

wait more time?

NO

is this a good sign shed and the things will be better again?

It is not a good sign.

i see some new hair coming, but thay are not many, just a few. please help.

There have been reported cases of telogen effluvium with the use of Propecia. It would be a good idea to discontinue the finasteride and use Xandrox only. The good news is that the hair lost in a telogen effluvium is all replaced. But it may require up to a year for a full recovery.

STATEMENT:
The important thing to understand is that male pattern baldness is not a matter of losing hair, i.e., shedding. Shedding 50-100 hairs/day is normal. male pattern baldness is a matter of atrophy of the hair follicle, which you are reversing when treating your hair with these medications.

Normal scalp hair grows for 3 to 6 years (anagen phase) before shedding and going into a resting phase (telogen phase), which is always in the range of 100 days. The smaller the hair shaft is, the shorter the growth phase (for severely miniaturized follicles, the growth phase can be less than three months). At any one time, about 10% of the hairs on your scalp will be in the telogen phase.

We have been receiving a number of reports of excessive shedding of both miniaturized hair as well as normal hair. This may be related to taking the medication finasteride (Propecia). Usually, the patients are initially happy with the results, but then begin a period of severe shedding (telogen effluvium) typically 3-4 months after initiating therapy.

The hair shed in the telogen effluvium may again become noticeable as it grows back about 3-4 months later, but it may require up to a year to replace the hair that was shed in the effluvium.

A telogen effluvium can be triggered by stress, trauma, fever, other physiological changes, and many drugs. A sudden hormonal shift, e.g. a sudden decrease of systemic dihydrotestosterone (DHT), can also be a cause of effluvium. This is what is apparently happening to some patients complaining of massive shedding. If the shedding is a telogen effluvium due to a hormonal shift due to Propecia, the latest consensus among dermatologist is to stop using the drug causing the rapid shedding. However, it is recommended that you continue to use the minoxidil and use another anti-androgen that does not cause a hormonal shift of DHT. Our prescription minoxidil formulation Xandrox contains anti-androgens that block DHT from affecting the follicle receptor site rather than lowering the DHT level in the blood. It is best to use the prescription minoxidil with these anti-androgens and forego treatment with Propecia when you experience telogen effluvium.

For your interest, I have an article dealing with telogen effluvium. Fortunately, telogen effluvium does not cause a scarring alopecia, so the hair will grow back in again.

Hair loss can be very frustrating, if you have any additional questions, feel free to ask them.

Grow Well,

Richard Lee, M.D.

PLEASEEEE NEED SOME ADVICE... OF GUYS WITH MORE EXPERIENCE

KipWinger

Established Member
Reaction score
i dont knoww...... everyone here talk about doctor LEEE...bla bla bla....that i had send a email to him....

he also sad to me to quit finasteride and go to xandrox... but i know that is he that sell that....... estrange...

but i need a advice... i think is better not drop fina....but i dont know

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
i really dont understand.. if propecia causing a Telogen Effluvium shed, then why drop it after the shed? I mean the hair will grow back, and enventually hornomes will be balanced to avoid future TEs... so WHY DROP PROPECIA????

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah the key to understanding this logic is that he says to drop propecia and use his product. Sorry but I am not buying it. As jfrank points out once Telogen Effluvium starts and levels off one only needs to play the waiting game. Dropping finasteride would also trigger a sudden changfe in hormone levels and possibly lead to another Telogen Effluvium shed.

VOVVIE

Established Member
Reaction score
Dinzy said:
Yeah the key to understanding this logic is that he says to drop propecia and use his product. Sorry but I am not buying it.

agreed. His monixidil seems worth it, but if he is going to say something to this extent to sell his product he doesnt seem like a concerned doctor at all. Is he even loosing his hair? or ever was?

Brandon Mthson

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe reducing your Finasteride dosage to 0.5mg might help your body normalize. I remember seeing something about people see good results with finasteride even at dosage levels less than 1 mg.

KipWinger

Established Member
Reaction score
hey! thats a good advice! i will consider that. i will continue taking finasteride...but i am a little bit affraid...becouse in this site is more ppl telling that is not happy with finasteride that who reach good results. i always see ppl saying that i am on fina since 5 months and my hairline is worst or my hair is a mess. and ppl say wait it will be good again! and if that dont happen?» if the situation get worst and worst? i really want to know someone who have passed this and now have good results..! my hair was fine till 6 months then ... is a disaster.

Melbs

Established Member
Reaction score
KipWinger... its interesting your worried because of what people write on this post. I think alot of people think that the only people in the world taking these medications are those that write on HairlossTalk.com. I was taking Proscar for 3 years before i saw this website... with good results... but naturally you didn't see me post that because

A: I was happy with how it was going
B: I didn't need an outlet on the internet to search for more hope
C: I had never even seen this site (like probably 90-95% of people using minoxidil and Propecia... literally maybe even 98%)

So in conclusuion, this site isnt the gospel of hairloss... alot of people here are unhappy. I think im even more unhappy about my hairloss to a degree after coming on this forum... to a point where i will consider not coming back, basically it is very negative with unhappy people searching for answers... not happy people with results. It takes up hours of my day too. On the other hand its a great way to see how many facets of hairloss exist... so its educating. But always remember there are a hell of alot of happy people out there treating their hailoss that NEVER come here. finasteride (proscar for me) is good by the way. And yes i read that email from Dr Lee and instantly thought he was selling his product, not offering the best advice.

KipWinger

Established Member
Reaction score
one question.... when you pull your hair and which time comes 3 or 4 hairs in hands... is this a telogen efluvium?