Eight years. No more loss.

Axon

Reaction score
Hello all,

I began on these forums in 2002, I believe, right after I graduated college. At the time I was a Norwood 2.5. I had some recession on the temples with a fairly large thinning spot on the crown. Embarrassing for a 22 year old.

Once I had gained some basic knowledge, I immediately began taking a regimen of Finasteride, minoxidil 5% 2x daily, and Nizoral - the usual big three. I received some gains for about three months, mostly in the crown, before everything just leveled out.

I remain on that regimen today, in 2010, save that I now use Minoxidil only once per day. I am now 30 years old. My level of loss has not changed since 2002 - I remain a thick Norwood 2.5 with a thinning spot in the back (that's the one thing I'd fix on me if I could). I have experienced no sides from Finasteride, and in fact, find that my sex life is better than ever since hitting the gym hard about 5 years ago - if you're having issues in that area fellas, it could be your lazy, Chicken McNugget eating lifestyle and not the blue pill. :p

What can I say? I've had a long journey with male pattern baldness and I feel like I've won. I was even a moderator here at one time before I just lost interest because I just stopped having trouble. And hey, if it does go? I can always shave that sh*t.

Thanks for reading. Hello to all the old guard. I see Cassin is still here and I'm sure HairLossTalk.com is as well.

Finally, the proof is in the pudding. I've attached a pic. I took it today in the shitter at work. I don't wanna show the crown cause I don't wanna deal with having to look at it myself. :p

Attachments

• hair2.JPG
    hair2.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 976

sergiotahini

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Eight years? No more loss.

Do you just take finasteride without minoxidil? Also, did you strengthen up your hairline at all after taking the finasteride or did you just mainly maintain what you had?

Glad to hear that things are going good - gives those of us who have just started treatment hope.

Axon

Reaction score

Well, my hairline got a little better, but not astoundingly so. I had some hairs on the hairline that had thinned but had not yet shrunk so much as to be invisible; those came back and became cosmetically normal. Where there was a slick bald spot...not much to speak of, sadly.

I'm still on 1mg of Fina and one 1 oz. dose of minoxidil per day in the AM. I comb my hair forward to better expose the crown then apply.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score

why don't u make an hair implant?looks like you will have a good success with that...If I was you...I'll do it...You are in 30...so an hair implant will be superb to you...or are u afraid that finasteride will not work anymore? but u can still avodart then...or...to increase the doze of medicine...Looks like you'll keep ur hair for a long time...

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score

Hi Axon;

you have a good hair look, you seems educated and honest guy. I dont see a really 2,5 Norwood
Have you a photo in the beggining, 8 years ago?

Armando

Axon

Reaction score

1. Transplant: Not at this stage of the game. I've consulted with some docs in the NYC area and they have recommended that I not do it until 35-40 years old or so when my loss has stabilized. The bottom line is that, eventually, I will get to where I'm supposed to be in terms of hair loss. Which is fine - at 22, my recession and thinning was embarrassing. At 30, it's not so uncommon. it's a wait and see process right now. But yes, if I went in for it, I'd probably look baller...but then what would I do if I continued to recede while the transplanted hair on the front of my hairline did not? It would look ridiculous.

2. I style my hair so that most people can't see the loss on the hairline. When I comb it back you can see a 2 or 2.5. But I've got the thickness, so why not take advantage, you know? The worst is the crown - so hard to cover, and my combination of fair skin and black hair doesn't make it less prominent. Once I start looking like Gene Simmons I'll shave it :D

I might have some photos from the beginning, I'll see if I can dig some up.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Man your hair looks a lot like mine when it is cut short but mine is a little thinner....Right now I have grown it out long to cover my temple recession.Stories like yours are really inspiring!!!

Axon

Reaction score

mpbsux20 said:
Man your hair looks a lot like mine when it is cut short but mine is a little thinner....Right now I have grown it out long to cover my temple recession.Stories like yours are really inspiring!!!

Then you gotta do everything in your power to keep it, and that means maintaining a positive attitude. If we carry ourselves with a shitty, negative outlook, it will shine through and hurt our other prospects in life, including with women. I hate girls who are super negative, whiny, and judgmental, and I'm sure they feel the same way about us.

The thing about hair loss is this: I see a lot of guys in their 40s who actually look good despite their thinning hair. Why? Because they own it; they wear it well. Some guys look f*****g terrible with hair loss. Why? Because they're not wearing it well; you can tell just by how they comb it, how they walk, the look on their face. Girls still like me, and that's because I rock my hair like I don't give a f***, because in truth, I don't. I'm past that.

I had a boss who used to wear a baseball cap all the time and grew his hair out real long to cover his loss. You could tell he was miserable about it, and it affected the way people viewed him.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I agree....I am willing to do anything to keep my hair and if I respond well to treatments then that will boost my confidence levels through the roof.