EGF acts as an ON/OFF switch - Another twist!

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.jbc.org/cgi/reprint/278/28/26120.pdf

The hair growth cycle consists of three stages known as the anagen (growing), catagen (involution), and telogen
(resting) phases. This cyclical growth of hair is regulated by a diversity of growth factors. Although normal
expression of both epidermal growth factor and its receptor (EGFR) in the outer root sheath is down-regulated
with the completion of follicular growth, here we show that continuous expression of epidermal growth
factor in hair follicles of transgenic mice arrested follicular development at the final stage of morphogenesis.

Data from immunoprecipitation and immunoblotting showed that epidermal growth factor signals through
EGFR/ErbB2 heterodimers in skin. Furthermore, topical application of tyrphostin AG1478 or AG825, specific
inhibitors of EGFR and ErbB2, respectively, completely inhibited new hair growth in wild type mice but not in
transgenic mice. When the transgenic mice were crossed with waved-2 mice, which possess a lower kinase activity
of EGFR, the hair phenotype was rescued in the offspring. Taken together, these data suggest that EGFR
signaling is indispensable for the initiation of hair growth.
On the other hand, continuous expression of
epidermal growth factor prevents entry into the catagen phase. We propose that epidermal growth factor functions
as a biologic switch that is turned on and off in hair follicles at the beginning and end of the anagen
phase of the hair cycle, guarding the entry to and exit from the anagen phase.

People attempting Follica's method at home...well there you go, its not just about inhibiting EGF(R) - the inhibition needs to be timed!

michael barry

Reaction score
Taken together, these data suggest that EGFR
signaling is indispensable for the initiation of hair growth.

Goata,

this is a much sadder development than what we first thought................................you see ECGC and genistein (in soy and red clover) BOTH INHIBIT EGF. If you inhibit epidermal growth factor all the time, its not good for hair. So these two anti-androgens----------------probably are actually bad over time for head hair growth as topicals.

Oh well, that eliminates a lot of potential anti-androgens. IF you include all the anti-androgens that inhibit wnt (which might be helpful in hair growth), the list of possible natural anti-androgens gets thinner. Its making topical lavender or perhaps beta sitosterol look more inviting isn't it?

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
exactly, I think this is a very important study for anyone who is attempting follica at home, because it shows it's not just about inhibiting EGF blindly. I would thoroughly read the study before I do the experiment myself. For now, I am using a concoction of lavender, cedarwood, tea tree oil in sweet almond + the herbal doctor's recommended oil with garlic & cloves in it. I'm also going to start gentle scalp peels & folligen to restore my scalp as much as possible.

At this point, I am on the same boat as the user Baccy (from another forum). I'm NW6, and if I can just create enough density on top to have a dark grain at least in NW2 area & get rid of the shiny top, I'd be content with a shaved head until follica or Intercytex come out with their solutions.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Its interesting - there was a study from the 2007 EHRS Conference that showed that EGF could prevent hair follicle formation at a certain time but that after that it had no effect IIRC. I'm not sure if it was looking at hair follicle development however or anagen induction/hair cycling however as this study is. This study would seem to explain why patients on EGFR inhibitors complained of slower scalp hair growth while at the same time it might explain why there was sometimes unwanted hair growth in new areas - (prolonged) EGF inhibition may stop existing hair follicles from cycling properly while promoting the development of new hair follicles where they might not occur before. This would be more noticeable in areas devoid of hair such as the nose etc.
hh
I really should dig up that other study - its around here somewhere.