Effects Of Dietary Polyphenols On Minoxidil Metabolism.

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So we know that in the body minoxidil is metabolised by sulfotransferase, thermostable phenol sulfotransferase in particular (Anderson, Kudlacek, & Clemens 1998). Thermostable Phenol sulfotransferase is better known under the name SULT1A1, and also aryle sulfotransferase. Unfortunately, some evidence suggests that SULT1A1 is easily inhibited by common polyphenols found in the vast (if not total) majority of plant-based foods (Mesía-Vela & Cauffman 2003; De Santi, Pietrabissa, Mosca, Rane, & Pacifici 2002). Furthermore, it has been suggested that if any sulfotransferases is inhibited, then it will impact on others as well (Margaret, & Ambadapadi, 2013).

So look, it’s just food for thought, there are some posts from 2007 about people thinking that quercetin could make finasteride less effective. You can reduce your dietary intake, but I’m not sure you can construct a healthy diet while completely avoiding it, since you’d basically be surviving on boiled carrots, mung beans and mushrooms. That being said basic googling suggests that quercetin should be absorbed within 8 hours of its consumption, but there has been suggestion that with continued use it builds in the system. I did read somewhere in the literature that there are multiple forms of quercetin, and that most of the research is conducted using levels far beyond human consumption. I have noticed that there are often discrepancies in reported quercetin levels between studies, but polyphenols are responses to the environment. I don’t really see how you can get away from it in the end unless you boiled most of your veges, ate them long before you took your drugs and did two day cycling. In the end people still get great results with minoxidil even if there is some inhibition at work.

Still bothering me a bit, so what do you guys think?

References:
Anderson, Robert & Kudlacek, Patrick & Clemens, Dahn. (1998). Sulfation of minoxidil by multiple human cytosolic sulfotransferases.

De Santi C, Pietrabissa A, Mosca F, Rane A, Pacifici GM (2002) Inhibition of phenol sulfotransferase (SULT1A1) by quercetin in human adult and foetal livers.

Margaret O. James & Sriram Ambadapadi (2013) Interactions of cytosolic sulfotransferases with xenobiotics

Mesía-Vela S, Kauffman FC (2003). Inhibition of rat liver sulfotransferases SULT1A1 and SULT2A1 and glucuronosyltransferase by dietary flavonoids.

Editing is for people far smarter than I.