Effects of blocking DHT in a 16 year old

TheEscapist

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those guys lucky enough to start losing their hair as early as age 15 thereabout. I'm 16 now, and I'm a thin Norwood 2.5 or so. I've been on rogaine a couple months, but only recently started applying it "correctly". Regardless, Rogaine will very likely not be enough to stop the loss, or even regrow much.

I'm 5"10, 153 lbs. I swim regularly (on swim team), and work out, so I'm healthy to a degree.

But, I doubt I am "fully" developed. Many people say I look at least 18 if not older. My dermatologist said that physically, I should consider myself at least 18, development-wise. But, I would't go off of just her opinion alone.

So basically, its clear and obvious that Propecia, or Finasteride, is the one-shot kill that can stop hairloss, and possibly even regrow.

Its also clear that there's a sh*t-ton of controversy over the potential side affects of it.

I'm considering using it to stop my hairloss. A vanity-charged idea that could potentially f*** with my internal and external maturation.

DHT is an androgen that is especially important during one's developmental years. Its one of the drivers behind the development of secondary sex characteristics.

Is it a bad idea, in your opinion, for me to take a pill that would lower the production of DHT to bare minimal levels?
I ask your opinion because I know that the 2 kinds of people most highly knowledgeable about hairloss are dermatologists, and sufferers of pattern hairloss.

So, what do you guys think?

Take the pill, or don't risk it?

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
Potential risks:

- your penis may not develop to its full potential
- if you have any growth left, your growth plates will fuse faster because of the increase of estrogen

baldydude

Reaction score
No offense man but it would be very foolish for you to take finasteride at your current age. Although you dont necessarily need a prescription to obtain the medication I highly doubt that there would be any doctor willing to prescribe it to you given your age. I know it must really suck to be so young and losing your hair but if you were to take the medication now you run an increased risk of losing what girls really DO care about in a guy (hint, its not hair). Dont do it.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I would not take finasteride at 16. If that means going bald early then I would say so be it. It sucks, but I know a guy who was deep NW3 by the time he was 18 and he has just been shaving his head completely bald ever since. Once people get used to it they don't think anything of it.

waldo

Reaction score
dont even think about it. when it gets so bad that it bothers you, get concealers, a wig, or even a small hair transplant if you have the money.

but dont risk finasteride at your age, it would be ridiculously stupid, and i bet you both my testicles you will regret that decision BIG TIME.

when you are 25 there will be a cure 100%, and you wont enjoy being short and having a small dick or possibly permanent erectyle dysfunction only bc of hairloss.

srsly man dont do it.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You sound like a really smart guy. They have the minimum age set for a reason; even though you might feel like you are physically matured, there could stil be some hormonal changes happening in your body, most importantly, to your brain.

In any other situation, I would strongly recommend you start on finasteride. However, being only 16, you shouldn't even think about it until you are 18. Personally I don't think anyone under 22, or someone who is at least good 5-6 years past puberty, should consider taking it. You want to make 100% sure your body is fully developed into an adult before you consider taking it.

In the mean time, you can try Minoxidil, topicals, or simply accept the fact that you are balding and move on with your life until you are 18 or when a better treatment is available. Sorry about your luck, dude.

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
16 seems pretty god damn young to be a Norwood 2.5...are you sure its male pattern baldness? Are your family members completely bald? I would think it would be very very very rare to be that far into hair loss at 16, when your hormones havent even had THAT much time to do anything

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Please by any means go see a doctor!! That's more important than anything

Do not take that decision on the basis of advice from people who are complete strangers and don't have any idea of your situation. While I think that this forum is great you surely would't trust random people on the street about taking a hormone-altering drug esp at your age. I can't believe no one mentions that!!

Its ok to talk about what success they have etc what works or what not, but do not let anyone take your decision but a doctor. Also I think the stuff about the penis is garbage, but it is surely important to consider the fact your body is not fully matured.

Good luck!

DHTcel

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
if your penis is Very large then by all means risk it......
mine is 6.8inch. I have a repulsive face so its not like it matters. Also Im on dutasteride 2.5mg ED at 16years old and its not working. I plan on hopping on 200mg spironolactone soon.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
mine is 6.8inch. I have a repulsive face so its not like it matters. Also Im on dutasteride 2.5mg ED at 16years old and its not working. I plan on hopping on 200mg spironolactone soon.

You're 16 and taking 2.5mg of dutasteride daily ? Whats your hair situation like ?

DHTcel

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're 16 and taking 2.5mg of dutasteride daily ? Whats your hair situation like ?
pm me its really bad, I had a 5.0 gap last semester (I'm in 11th grade) I've missed school and ran away from home a couple of times now.

Last edited:

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yes. See a doctor. minoxidil and nizoral maybe but leave the hormone drugs alone. Time is on your side. CB in another 3 or so years and you will never need to think about hormone altering drugs.
Yes hair loss sucks and even worse at younger ages, but you can live with it. One day you might live to see male pattern baldness be cured! dont lose hope.