Effectiveness of Rogaine Foam compared to normal minoxidil?

suicidedude

Established Member
Reaction score
Is Rogaine Foam really more effective as the rest of the 5% minoxidil liquid solutions (including generic)?

Here's a study from Rogaine proving it's effectiveness over liquid minoxidil. http://www.rogaine.com/Results/?ID=1684

But I want to hear what you guys have to say.

1. Why is Rogaine liquid still more expensive than the foam even though the foam works better according to the results?

2. Those who are at Norwood 1 - 2+, or still have quite a decent amount of hair, is it convenient for them to use? I read that the foam may just stick to the hair? preventing the foam from getting to the scalp. So is it better off using the liquid solution?

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe the foam is more effective because it absorbs better than the solution.

Prices tend to go lower in price over time, and maybe it´s cheaper to produce the foam than the solution.
Or maybe it’s a business strategy to try to sell more products.

I’m a nw3 and it´s very easy to apply the foam because I buzzed my hair to a #2 on top.
Some foam still sticks to my hair but I like how it leaves my hair looking overall, it feels a little bit thicker.
I think it might be harder to apply for someone with thicker and longer hair.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
yes... the result seem to be much better than the liquid version which regrow hair in 55% of the patient IIRC... compare to 85% with the foam version...

not to mention the result take only 16weeks while the liquid version is much longer...

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
No.

In most cases, the Original Rogaine is more effective than the Foam.

In addition to this, those with 1 inch + hair long, won't have good results with the foam.

But anyway, if you want to go with the foam, go ahead. It's your hair.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i hate dht,
why do you say liquid rogaine is better.

If I were to bet, I would bet on the foam.

The clinical studies showed 50% responding with liquid rogaine in 6 months.

The clinical studies showed 85% people responding to foam in 16 weeks.

Foam is ppg free and ethanol free. So no irritation, itching or flaking. In addition, no wrinkles in the face.

I expect foam to replace all minoxidil solutions in a year or two. Dr. Lee will lose most of his customers.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah the foam is way easier to apply, thats likely why the response rate is better. People forget or give up on the liquid.

If you are a buzz cut type like me, it makes life a lot easier.

bubka

Reaction score
I_Hate_DHT said:
No.

In addition to this, those with 1 inch + hair long, won't have good results with the foam.

where did you get this from?

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, that’s a valid point, and it could be one of the reasons for a higher percentage.

It should also mean a higher percentage in the real world.

I mean, it’s so easy and fast to apply, and cosmetically acceptable, that anyone that is balding and not using the foam, just doesn’t care.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
I_Hate_DHT:
pls state any evident on why this is so... or do you really pull it from your *** like what others said?

Thinning:
maybe you are right on the part that it is showing better result due to the ease of application... but the result is taken at 16week mark compare to 48week mark on rogaine solution... this might be a clue that the foam is better as minoxidil result suppose to peak at around 2years mark... also i guess for many, the first 4months is easy to follow...

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
another user from HLH mention that Dr. Washenik think that the foam work better... the exact reason he is only willing to reveal in a few days time...

anyway, a side note... just lost my brand new Sony Erisson K800I handphone... awwww..... that suck big time!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

G

I_Hate_DHT said:
No.

basically everyone said you are wrong. where did you get your info from?

powersam

Reaction score
check out the rest of his posts. has he ever sounded knowledgeable to you?

G

Yes he did. Now it makes sense why he said propecia and proscar are different and that cutting your hair short isn't good.

suicidedude

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Effectiveness of Rogaine Foam compared to normal minoxid

2. Those who are at Norwood 1 - 2+, or still have quite a decent amount of hair, is it convenient for them to use? I read that the foam may just stick to the hair? preventing the foam from getting to the scalp. So is it better off using the liquid solution?

can anyone help me out with this? my hair is at least 2 inches long

NYVic20

Established Member
Reaction score
ye, your making all of us non-foam users jealous; can it be effectively applied if you still have hair on your head (diffuse thinning) and it's around 2-3 inches long? :roll: Jayman, whats your experience with this new foam version?

CCS

Reaction score
techprof,
What is this about liquid minoxidil causing wrinkles on the face?

As for the foam, I just find it very hard to believe I could get it past my 1 inch hair without getting at least half on the hair.

I guess it is at least as effective as the liquid, though. does anyone know the ingredients? Still a bit expensive.