EFFECTIVENESS of Foam

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
Do most people who have tried both minoxidil liquid and foam find the foam to actually work better in growing hair? Everyone says the foam is so great, but then all they talk about are application and styling issues. These issues don't bother me. I just want the best results I can get. I do find a flakey residue however with the liquid. Could this be hurting my regrowth or blocking my applications? I just want to know which one gives better regrowth.

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Sir Guy of Frizzbourne said:
Everyone says the foam is so great, but then all they talk about are application and styling issues. These issues don't bother me.

On the face of it, you might think that, but when you remember you must apply minoxidil for year after year after after year....... then ease of application is very important. Compliance is a huge factor in the results you achieve.

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using minoxidil for about 7 months though and I've been pretty good about applying twice a day. I've heard the foam can also cause more shedding. Does this mean it's capeable of get better end results?

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
foam hasn't been around very long, the people getting good results would be the people who started it the day it was first on the shelves

kaner529

Reaction score
Im starting my 4th month on the foam today. I have seen great results because I am applying it over a really wide area. I put it on the crown as well as my hairline, and the hair thinning right behind my hairline. So far I see a noticible difference in the thickness. I cant tell about the crown, but it seems like I am having better regrowth on the hairline ironically. Anyone who doesn;t want to use it in conjuction with dutasteride or finasteride is just plain stupid because these results ive seen are borderline amazing

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Dangerman said:
[quote="Sir Guy of Frizzbourne":5197a]Everyone says the foam is so great, but then all they talk about are application and styling issues. These issues don't bother me.

On the face of it, you might think that, but when you remember you must apply minoxidil for year after year after after year....... then ease of application is very important. Compliance is a huge factor in the results you achieve.[/quote:5197a]

What do you mean ease of application?

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Kaner, were you on the liquid form of minoxidil before you started the foam? If so, for how long? Would you say the foam has gotten you better results (especially on the hairline)?

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
haunted-ballroom said:
What do you mean ease of application?

Excactly that. The easier any treatment is to apply/use/take the greater the chance that you will keep up with the treatment, because all hairloss treatments seems to require continued use. At first, everyone will be really determined to do it, and compliance will be high. Then when you think you need to make over 700 applications of minoxidil each and every year, then it really becomes an issue.

For me the foam is excellent, takes about 2 mins and I can get on with the rest of the day.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Dangerman said:
[quote="haunted-ballroom":c9666]What do you mean ease of application?

Excactly that. The easier any treatment is to apply/use/take the greater the chance that you will keep up with the treatment, because all hairloss treatments seems to require continued use. At first, everyone will be really determined to do it, and compliance will be high. Then when you think you need to make over 700 applications of minoxidil each and every year, then it really becomes an issue.

For me the foam is excellent, takes about 2 mins and I can get on with the rest of the day.[/quote:c9666]
Ah, I thought you meant something else.
Yes I agree, it only takes me about 2 mins also. Just like brushing my teeth or washing my face It has become a routine.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Despite never having used the liquid I have read several times now that the foam is considerably more effective, I'm finding it easier to apply everyday and also find that it works great for styling, my hair is very thin therefore limp, the foam has given it texture and definately makes it look thicker once it has dried. So far I am very pleased. :)

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
From what I have read there is no immediate prospect of a generic foam becoming available, if ever. But the genuine article is pretty affordable, in my opinion.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Dangerman said:
But the genuine article is pretty affordable, in my opinion.

Totally, you get a 3 month supply for around £20, that works out at around £1.50 a week.

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking I'm gonna try the foam for at least a month, mostly to see if my flakes go away. I think they may be blocking my absorbtion and messing up my results. I've been using minoxidil for 7 months now and the only difference I've noticed is a little peach fuzz. I know results take time, but I was hoping for better at this point. When I first started minoxidil, before the flakes, I could have sworn it was working better than this. I'll let you guys know how the flakes go.

kaner529

Reaction score
I used the liquid for about three months prior to using the foam. So all together I have been using rogaine for 6 months. I never used the liquid on my temples because i was scared it would make the front flaky as well as the crown. But with the foam i have had no flakes and does make the hair look thicker after it dries.

jcinzano

Reaction score
after using the liquid for years i've been using the foam -- but only in the mornings, liquid still at night -- for about three months. so far, i've been disappointed. hair is still thinning.

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
So Kaner, is the liquid known for causing flakes on the hairline? What gave you the impression that would happen? If that's the case then maybe the foam is just what I need.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sir Guy of Frizzbourne said:
So Kaner, is the liquid known for causing flakes on the hairline? What gave you the impression that would happen? If that's the case then maybe the foam is just what I need.

From what I gather.. the liquid is known to cause flakes everywhere.. it looks bad from the photographs I've seen..

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone here had success with foam affter not having any with the liquid?

I was on the liquid for 2 years (before finasteride) and my hair just got worse and worse, started the foam 4 months ago but no results yet...