EDAR upregulates DKK4

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont think this means that much - prob just a negative feedback loop type situation. But there hasnt been a lot of new stuff lately it has seemed so thought i would share it. I am pretty sure I read an older study that said EDAR inhibits wnt signalling. The role of EDAR in hair growth especially relative to wnt is unclear to me. They both seem to perform something very close to the same role.
hh

Dev Biol. 2008 Apr 26. [Epub ahead of print]Click here to read Links
Identification of dkk4 as a target of Eda-A1/Edar pathway reveals an unexpected role of ectodysplasin as inhibitor of Wnt signalling in ectodermal placodes.
Fliniaux I, Mikkola ML, Lefebvre S, Thesleff I.

Institute of Biotechnology, Developmental Biology Program, University of Helsinki, 00014, Helsinki, Finland.

The development of epithelial appendages, including hairs, glands and teeth starts from ectodermal placodes, and is regulated by interplay of stimulatory and inhibitory signals. Ectodysplasin-A1 (Eda-A1) and Wnts are high in hierarchy of placode activators. To identify direct targets of ectodysplasin pathway, we performed microarray profiling of genes differentially regulated by short exposure to recombinant Eda-A1 in embryonic eda(-/-) skin explants. Surprisingly, there were only two genes with obvious involvement in Wnt pathway: dkk4 (most highly induced gene in the screen), and lrp4. Both genes colocalized with Eda-A1 receptor Edar in placodes of ectodermal organs. They were upregulated upon Edar activation while several other Wnt associated genes previously suggested as Edar targets were unaffected. However, low dkk4 and lrp4 expression was retained in the absence of NF-kappaB signalling in eda(-/-) hair placodes. We provide evidence that this expression was dependent on Wnt activity present prior to Eda-A1/Edar signalling. Dkk4 was recently suggested as a key Wnt antagonist regulating lateral inhibition essential for correct patterning of hair follicles. Several pieces of evidence suggest Lrp4 as a Wnt inhibitor, as well. The finding that Eda-A1 induces placode inhibitors was unexpected, and underlines the importance of delicate fine-tuning of signalling during placode formation.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
EDAR is a protein/signalling pathway that plays a similar role as wnt in hair development. EDIHN stands for Epidermal Disruption-Induced HF (hair follicle) Neogenesis and is basically the Follica method.