Easiest tape backing to remove - suggestions

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Geez I’m still learning and have so many ups and downs. Tonight is an issue that we have not had before.

I got a new lace unit and this is the second reattachment we have done. Last week the issue wasn’t as bad, but this week we could not get the backing off the tape to save our lives. Either the tape would not stay stuck down or we just simply couldn’t grasp a corner of the tape to peel off the backing. The unit has been cleaned very good (or I thought so) to remove any silicone. I had washed and conditioned it prior to putting tape on.

My question is what tape do you guys use that is a breeze to take off the backing? As long as I can get a good week out of it then I’ll be happy.

Just so you know, we used No Shine and Ultra Hold tonight and both were tough. No Shine was near about impossible but after a solid hour we got all the backing off.

It was a complete nightmare tonight with my girlfriend near about having a breakdown. She went through so much tape that would not stick down or get bunched up after finally getting the backing off.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was thinking more... am I even putting tape on correctly. Do I need to go back to applying tape 101.

When we tape the base we try to get every bare spot possible even if this means cutting a very small sliver of tape to fit in. I started looking up videos and I see 2 different methods. Some people are doing mostly what I am doing which is very time consuming. There’s a ton of cutting involved. A few people I have noticed is just putting a few pieces of tape around it with a lot of gap in between. I have attached a video of someone that is doing it that way. Now this would be sooooo much simpler for us and less of a headache in having to remove so much tape backing as well.

Which way is correct?!?!?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Easy.

You need A small cutting board, roll of tape, box-cutter, and wig-head pin.

1. Place the roll of tape on the cutting board, with the paper side down.
2. Hold down the front edge of the tape with your left thumb (if you are a rightie) and unroll a small amount of tape, away from you.
3. Score the tape with the box cutter lightly across, don't cut the paper!
4. With your thumbnail tear off the small piece of tape from the paper.
5. Now, holding the tape with the paper tab you have created, unroll the amount you need, and cut with the box-cutter.
6. I marked my cutting board in 1/4 increments and drilled a tiny hole at the end to hold a wig-head pin. I push the ping through the paper, and that holds the tape as I measure what I need.

As for the video... I don't leave such gaps between the tapes... I also use narrower tape.

A couple of more hints.

1. Buy contours for the back edge, instead of roll tape, which makes it easier.
2. The ton of time you are referring to takes me all of 15 minutes. You can make your life easier by buying minis instead of rolls. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's less frustrating than roll tape.
3. I don't attach that way... I do the @Noah method. Tape in the middle of my head, spray alcohol... place unit with the paper still on tapes. I place the unit (you have 60 seconds) and then roll the back forward, and remove the tapes from the back. If you follow my instructions for the roll tape, you have a nice tab to pull. For extra wiggle room, spray the back of your head with alcohol, and then roll the unit back, and place. Use a hand mirror to check... you can move a bit until the alcohol dries. Do the same with the front.

Last edited:

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok that was going to be my next question... roll tape or minis. I’ve always used the minis, but have seen you mention the roll tape before and was thinking maybe somehow it was easier with perhaps doing more of a longer consecutive piece or if you just cut them smaller and you are simply buying rolled tape because of the cost because of the amount of tape you go through being that this is your profession.

To summarize, I should continue using minis and just slightly cut through the paper to create an edge for me to lift?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok that was going to be my next question... roll tape or minis. I’ve always used the minis, but have seen you mention the roll tape before and was thinking maybe somehow it was easier with perhaps doing more of a longer consecutive piece or if you just cut them smaller and you are simply buying rolled tape because of the cost because of the amount of tape you go through being that this is your profession.

To summarize, I should continue using minis and just slightly cut through the paper to create an edge for me to lift?

Gee, from the description it sounded like you use roll tape. Minis are super easy, maybe you are not using them right?

You remove the tape from the blue backing, and then when you are ready to attach, you peel off the paper from the middle of the mini, since it's already slit for you.

Look at the pic, below.

I use roll tape because when the unit is already on my head, I want fewer things to peel... The side pieces I cut from the roll are longer... and. they meet up with the contours in the back and front. If I am not lazy, I pull the paper up and then stick it back down (what I do on the right one), so they are easier to peel off.

I hope this helps...

IMG_2677.JPG

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am thinking about trying roll tape for the long sides, which if I’m reading right sounds like what you do. My goal is to cut as little as possible, therefore having to peel backing off as little as possible.

If this is what you are doing then how are you able to cut such a long piece to meet up with the edge of the unit?

thanks btw for the detailed descriptions

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, I think what was such a pain is we ran out of the minis and used contour tapes which do not have that slit and for some reason we could not for the life of us get the backing off for the longest time. Seems pretty obvious I need to purchase more of the minis but I would like to know how you do the longer pieces on the sides with the rolls.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am thinking about trying roll tape for the long sides, which if I’m reading right sounds like what you do. My goal is to cut as little as possible, therefore having to peel backing off as little as possible.

If this is what you are doing then how are you able to cut such a long piece to meet up with the edge of the unit?

thanks btw for the detailed descriptions

It depends on which unit.... I have a small unit, for summer (I keep my head shaved, totally) it is curvier, so I use mini's to connect to the contour tapes. My larger systems are less so. It depends on how tired I am... I will sometimes use a mini on each side of the back contour... to handle the sharp curve and cut two short roll tapes that the tabs meet in the middle for the sides.

The contours I use from Walker Tape have a slit...
IMG_2678.JPG

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
not sure what you are doing, but I use contour, and no issues at all.. they have extra lenght at each end ( see above pic) that have no glue, which serve as tabs to lift off the paper tape...super easy, I don'T mess with rolls... too time consuming...hairpiece surrounds are not straight, so rolls require curving or cutting...

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The contours I have do not have any slits. I’ve got a Supertape contour and a No Shine contour and neither have those slits.

Axc: isn’t that extra paper only helpful to take the tape off the paper to put it on the actual unit. My problem is once the tape is on the unit we can’t get the backing off (no slits in the ones we have).

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
The contours I have do not have any slits. I’ve got a Supertape contour and a No Shine contour and neither have those slits.

Axc: isn’t that extra paper only helpful to take the tape off the paper to put it on the actual unit. My problem is once the tape is on the unit we can’t get the backing off (no slits in the ones we have).

Then buy from another company!

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Google " hair piece tape contour" and you will see many videos on how to attach with tape. Most have spits as you will see in videos.

The slits help to remove first paper , to attach to the base. Then, using the end tabs, remove second paper prior to installation of piece on scalp...