Ears Ringing While On Loniten (oral Minoxidil)

Gaz121

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone experience their ears ringing while taking Loniten?

I'm currently taking the pills twice per day (5mg in morning & 5mg in evening) and have been doing so for the last 5 days.

Not sure if my ears ringing is a sign that I should come off of it or is something that I should ride out. It's tolerable at the moment but very annoying.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
It does not seem like that is a listed side effect for Loniten but I guess it is still possible. I would maybe decrease the dose to 5 mg a day or even 2.5mg/day. 10mg really is not required unless lower doses were not successful

Gaz121

My Regimen
Reaction score
It does not seem like that is a listed side effect for Loniten but I guess it is still possible. I would maybe decrease the dose to 5 mg a day or even 2.5mg/day. 10mg really is not required unless lower doses were not successful
Yes, I have now decreased to 5mg per day so will see how I get on with that dose.
Do you think if I continue having this problem whilst on the meds, it'll cause permanent damage?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I have now decreased to 5mg per day so will see how I get on with that dose.
Do you think if I continue having this problem whilst on the meds, it'll cause permanent damage?

Probably not. I am surprised as it is not a listed side effect but perhaps is a rare one.

K505

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have never taken Loniten but.

Ear ringing? I've had a long ring like piiiiiiiiiip~
But it was caused by stress and in combination of depression maybe, maybe even the headstands i was doing..

Not sure this helps but maybe youre under stress and depression, i know stress caused me the sound in my ear.

Its easy to blame finasteride or some other drugs, sometimes its just the stress.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure if my ears ringing is a sign that I should come off of it or is something that I should ride out.
I'm not a doctor or anything but that does sound like a bad sign. O.O thankfully it didn't do this to me.

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've seen an ENT about this and they said that minoxidil is one of the few drugs that doesn't have tinnitus as a side effect, not even as a rare side effect. Then even had to call me back to check their database. It isn't ototoxic either.

If you're taking any other drugs it's more likely them. Either way tinnitus actually becomes quite common after roughly 23 since hair cells die from presbycusis.

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lad, minoxidil causes ringing on half the people who take it. And sometimes it’s permanent. You’re really gonna go the Merck way here? I see nothing I know nothing?

And what do you base that on? Because I'm not about to take the word of a post on a forum over medical advice from a professional.

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And what do you base that on? Because I'm not about to take the word of a post on a forum over medical advice from a professional.

At least in this case anyway lol.

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I base that on putting minoxidil on my scalp and beard and getting all kinds of ringtones 24/7. Not to mention he takes it in oral form not topical. Great.

So how does that prove that half of all people who take minoxidil get tinnitus? How do you know that your tinnitus wasn't a coincidence?

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you know that your tinnitus wasn't a coincidence
we don't know that it was either.

was oral version tested for hairloss? is it possible that for it being a blood pressure medicine, that people with normal blood pressure taking it for hairloss get this side somehow from lowered blood pressure but the side effect wasn't reported in clinical trials because it was tested on people with high blood pressure therefore didn't experience this?

with that said, 10mg a day didn't give me any ringing at all. but i can only speak for myself

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hold on. I didn’t say everyone gets it. I said the guy here who mentions he’s already got it must have got it from minoxidil.

Lad, minoxidil causes ringing on half the people who take it. And sometimes it’s permanent. You’re really gonna go the Merck way here? I see nothing I know nothing?

There are more likely explanations than minoxidil, exposure to loud noise (oh which there are a lot in the cities), age, otc medications such as aspirin, most sleeping pills, SSRI's. Minoxidil is one of the few drugs that doesn't have tinnitus listed as side effect, even a rare side effect.

we don't know that it was either.

was oral version tested for hairloss? is it possible that for it being a blood pressure medicine, that people with normal blood pressure taking it for hairloss get this side somehow from lowered blood pressure but the side effect wasn't reported in clinical trials because it was tested on people with high blood pressure therefore didn't experience this?

with that said, 10mg a day didn't give me any ringing at all. but i can only speak for myself

Yeah that's actually a pretty good point, but it's also unlikely. I mean one thing is most doses of oral minoxidil are too low to effect blood pressure.

iSlapBitches

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Islapbitches is exodus2011 having a mental breakdown in forums probably. He’s never had the touch of a woman so all women need to be imprisoned and comply by his demands. And yes minoxidil causes ringing.

Please stop embarrassing yourself. The mods can check my IP address if they think I’m that guy.

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Beowulf - how you doing on the oral minoxidil bud?

Well my hairline's fine, but I've been getting some thinning on the left side back a bit near the parting so my dermo said I could go to 2 mg's if I want. I think it's due to stress, but since bumping up to 2 mg's it seems to have improved a lot.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well my hairline's fine, but I've been getting some thinning on the left side back a bit near the parting so my dermo said I could go to 2 mg's if I want. I think it's due to stress, but since bumping up to 2 mg's it seems to have improved a lot.

Sounds good. I’m due to start next week as topical has had 0 effect so it’s nice to know it’s helping.

furrydome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've seen an ENT about this and they said that minoxidil is one of the few drugs that doesn't have tinnitus as a side effect, not even as a rare side effect. Then even had to call me back to check their database. It isn't ototoxic either.

Know what is ototoxic? Propylene Glycol (PG). It's surprising we don't hear more about this from people on liquid minoxidil, or especially from the vaping crowd.

Evelyne

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also got ringing in the ears ... and I lost my hearing on both sides. It started when I was on Rogaine and became even worse when I stopped using it. I think that it was caused by Rogaine, but I cannot proof it.