Early Signs Of Male Pattern Baldness Help

Dyodikow

My Regimen
Reaction score
20191030_135120.jpg
Hello i have noticed that my hairline around the temple has receded quite a bit especially in the right side during the last few months and now it matches my left side that has receded about 5 years ago but my hairline has not changed until now i cannot style it the way i used to be because of the receding right temple, i posted another thread but the answers were not helpful, i want to know your opinions on my hairline and if i should start taking finasteride or minoxidil, i am 18 yo and i feel i am too young to start balding especially when the only balding members in my family noticed their hairloss in their late 20s or 30s, i must add that i do not notice any significant shedding only 1 or 2 hairs on the pillow and few while showering and brushing, also i my life style has been very unhealthy in the last months but i doubt that is the case here. any insight would be greatly helpful

Dyodikow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry Kambrira159 if i offended you your reply was the only helpful one the others were just balding, not balding.

Abi28

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you are too young to be starting finasteride, you should consult with a dermatologist so you can address your concerns.

Dyodikow

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you are too young to be starting finasteride, you should consult with a dermatologist so you can address your concerns.
Thank you for your reply, what do you think of my hairline is it bad now?

Abi28

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, what do you think of my hairline is it bad now?

There might be some slight receding but it also looks like a mature hairline, only time will tell if you hairline will recede more, but it could stay like that for a decade there is no way to predict future hair loss but the fact that there is no history of hair loss in your family that's a good thing, either way you should consult with a dermatologist, he can check if you have any miniaturization in your hair, if he sees something he will probably prescribe minoxidil as a treatment, either way don't stress too much about your hair seems thick overall, everything can be fixed..

OnThePill

My Regimen
Reaction score
Far as I can remember, when I was a teen I had temple triangles already. I don't think I had them the same way when I was a little 10-12 year old. They were there at 14-15 but I had a much smaller head, which means more perceived density and less obnoxious hairline. I know that because I was always jealous of other people's hairline even my brothers'.

I haven't seen my brothers in a long time. One I haven't seen for many years, I have no clue how his hair is doing. My older brother was growing his hair very long then he recently shaved it all off. I was doing the same thing when I noticed hair loss. So maybe my older brother is going bald too. I notice a lot of Asian people do the same around their late twenties or early thirties. I always wondered why Asians in their late twenties and early thirties change their hairstyle to a dry combed style. Everything starts making sense when you also are going through that situation.

I do think you will bald eventually. Who can guess how long that will take? It all depends on your lifestyle and your genetics. Bad diet speeds things up. Everyone loses hair at some point. However, it appears the most healthy people take a longer time before they experience the hit. Your hair, skin and nails need a good diet to be at it's healthiest and last much longer before things go down hill.

I would go to the dermatologist that specializes in hair for them to check for miniaturization and prescribe you finasteride 1mg if they determine you are losing your hair because of genetics.

I noticed my hair loss when my temples were continuing to recede over 10 years. Once I started working out they just "fell off." Now I know I was losing my hair slowly. I wish my family was helpful and warned me before it got bad. So, again, I suggest you go check it out rather than be in denial like I was.

By the way, my dad still had a lot of hair until he hit his late 70s. I haven't asked him, but I think he was on finasteride for at least 20 years. I remember when I was a kid he was saying something about having to be on prostate medication.

Last edited:

Dyodikow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Far as I can remember, when I was a teen I had temple triangles already. I don't think I had them the same way when I was a little 10-12 year old. They were there at 14-15 but I had a much smaller head, which means more perceived density and less obnoxious hairline. I know that because I was always jealous of other people's hairline even my brothers'.

I haven't seen my brothers in a long time. One I haven't seen for many years, I have no clue how his hair is doing. My older brother was growing his hair very long then he recently shaved it all off. I was doing the same thing when I noticed hair loss. So maybe my older brother is going bald too. I notice a lot of Asian people do the same around their late twenties or early thirties. I always wondered why Asians in their late twenties and early thirties change their hairstyle to a dry combed style. Everything starts making sense when you also are going through that situation.

I do think you will bald eventually. Who can guess how long that will take? It all depends on your lifestyle and your genetics. Bad diet speeds things up. Everyone loses hair at some point. However, it appears the most healthy people take a longer time before they experience the hit. Your hair, skin and nails need a good diet to be at it's healthiest and last much longer before things go down hill.

I would go to the dermatologist that specializes in hair for them to check for miniaturization and prescribe you finasteride 1mg if they determine you are losing your hair because of genetics.

I noticed my hair loss when my temples were continuing to recede over 10 years. Once I started working out they just "fell off." Now I know I was losing my hair slowly. I wish my family was helpful and warned me before it got bad. So, again, I suggest you go check it out rather than be in denial like I was.

By the way, my dad still had a lot of hair until he hit his late 70s. I haven't asked him, but I think he was on finasteride for at least 20 years. I remember when I was a kid he was saying something about having to be on prostate medication.
Thanks for the reply, i am planning a visit to a derm but that will be in the next few months i hope my hairline won't recede until then, i noticed that i have a similar hairline like my uncle but he is not bald his hairline is something like NW2.5 i hope that would be the case for me.

OnThePill

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, i am planning a visit to a derm but that will be in the next few months i hope my hairline won't recede until then, i noticed that i have a similar hairline like my uncle but he is not bald his hairline is something like NW2.5 i hope that would be the case for me.

You could be losing hair very slowly. Your uncle could be a very healthy guy that isn't so sensitive to DHT. Or maybe he has the same hair line and doesn't have the gene for hair loss.

My hair loss became very obvious at 30 (if I was educated enough to know my situation). In my early twenties I remember losing a dozen hairs when styling, that did concern me but there was no signs of balding outside of that. Now I realize I was losing hair extremely slowly when I had a better lifestyle and wasn't spiking my testosterone. I probably could have made it to 40 before I started noticing hair loss if I kept a good lifestyle.

Just make sure to pay attention to your hair. Don't ignore it like I did. As long as you pay attention you will notice the warning signs getting more obvious and you will know what to do.

For those people out there that know they are losing hair, you must go to the dermatologist immediately to figure out what is going on and what to do about it. Even 6 months can do major damage if you are already in a bad state because the hair you see isn't necessarily hair you have. That's why dermatologists might do a "pull test" to see if those hairs are still in the growing stage or are simply an illusion of density. Don't be fooled by what you see...

Dyodikow

My Regimen
Reaction score
You could be losing hair very slowly. Your uncle could be a very healthy guy that isn't so sensitive to DHT. Or maybe he has the same hair line and doesn't have the gene for hair loss.

My hair loss became very obvious at 30 (if I was educated enough to know my situation). In my early twenties I remember losing a dozen hairs when styling, that did concern me but there was no signs of balding outside of that. Now I realize I was losing hair extremely slowly when I had a better lifestyle and wasn't spiking my testosterone. I probably could have made it to 40 before I started noticing hair loss if I kept a good lifestyle.

Just make sure to pay attention to your hair. Don't ignore it like I did. As long as you pay attention you will notice the warning signs getting more obvious and you will know what to do.

For those people out there that know they are losing hair, you must go to the dermatologist immediately to figure out what is going on and what to do about it. Even 6 months can do major damage if you are already in a bad state because the hair you see isn't necessarily hair you have. That's why dermatologists might do a "pull test" to see if those hairs are still in the growing stage or are simply an illusion of density. Don't be fooled by what you see...

I am always aware that i might go bald someday because of my paternal grandfather and my uncle but not this early it hit me really hard when i noticed recession i felt like the world is about to end, but now at least i know what to do.
Thank you so much for your help and one more question, can finasteride stop my hairloss completely for the rest of my life? or is it just to slow down the process? i am considering minoxidil too.

OnThePill

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am always aware that i might go bald someday because of my paternal grandfather and my uncle but not this early it hit me really hard when i noticed recession i felt like the world is about to end, but now at least i know what to do.
Thank you so much for your help and one more question, can finasteride stop my hairloss completely for the rest of my life? or is it just to slow down the process? i am considering minoxidil too.

The doctors tell me that it will slow down your hair loss a lot if you respond well to it. It can slow down your hair loss enough that cancer is likely to happen before you go bald. In other words, you will likely be fine as long as you make sure to get on it at the right time. It will keep your hair until the day you get old enough to die of cancer or a heart attack.

If finasteride doesn't work well you can get dutasteride.

I can't say to use minoxidil when you have nice density. I think minoxidil is for people that can't grow back hair with only finasteride or dutasteride. Like if you had a bald spot that just won't grow hair no matter how many years of finasteride/dutasteride use.

I might have to get on minoxidil in a few years. That will make me very sad. I will be one step closer to a major hair transplant if I need minoxidil.