DYING HAIR AFTER A hair transplant.

Doug Jarvis

Reaction score
I'm a diffuse thinner who has had multiple hair transplant's. My hair is a combination of dark brown and grey/white. I am considering dying my hair blonde because I think that looks best on guys with thin hair in the crown and mid scalp. Just wondering if others think that blonde tends to appear to cover the scalp a bit better because it matchs the scalp color more closely than darker colored hair ( if you have pale skin like me anyway) to look like it covers the scalp better. I suppose white hair would be the best color following that logic, but I hate my grey/white hair.

Finally, does dying hair make it fall out? The last time I dyed my hair I lost a ton of hair in the dying process, at least temporarily. ( And I had been on propecia for a long time prior to that ).

Lastly, how soon after a hair transplant can you safely dye your hair?

Thanks for yor help!

Doug Jarvis

Reaction score
Update: I just dyed my hair to my base color ( dark brown ) and am surprised to see that when contrasted with my pale scalp it actually looks like I have lost a fair amount of hair. During the dying process I did not lose may hairs and I have been monitoring any recent hair loss ( minimal as I'm on finasteride ). So the conclusion I came to is what I suspected: darker hair along with a pale scalp would make it look like I have less hair ). The hair stylist was surprised by the result as well.

With my white/grey hairs the contrast with my pale scalp was less pronounced and made it appear that I would have a smaller area of thinning on my head. I thought that by giving the white/grey hairs some pigmentation I might make it look like those hairs would no longer be ghosts, but that is not the visual effect.

I am now considering dyeing my hair blonde in the belief that it will make my thinning areas ( mainly crown area ) look less pronounced given my pale scalp. Any folks have any experience with dyeing hair to acheive the appearance of more hair? Let me know. Thanks