Dutasteride

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've been on Dutasteride for about two-and-a-half months... and:

Positive:
1. More Youthful Appearance/Fuller Face
2. Smaller Pores/Better Skin
3. Lighter Body Hair, but this actually started happening on finasteride.
3. Possibly more hair but I didn't stay on it long enough

Neutral:
1. Slightly more feminine appearance, longer eyelashes, lighter eyebrows.
2. Shedding, possibly would have ended in regrowth had I kept taking it.
3. Altered weight distribution (actually this also started on finasteride).

Negative:
1. NO SEX DRIVE AT ALL! I really do not think this will get any better with time. It started out waxing-and-waining but now my sex drive is completely gone.
2. Very very weird scrotum pain for the first month and in the process it got smaller and less sensitive. I was hoping this would go away but it hasn't. This is really what got me to drop it. This really freaked me out. Screw that-- I don't want to wait and see what else happens next...

I believe someone else put it best... what's the point of having your hair if you can't have sex? Does anyone know that all the people in the Dutasteride Phase III Trial were over 47? "The population was aged 47-94, and the mean age was 66." That age range doesn't much of a sex drive to begin with.

I for one will never touch this stuff again until they get trials on younger people (unless I'm really desperate anyway). These side effects are wayyy too weird for me...

I was relatively happy with Propecia-- now I just have to wait three or four months for dutasteride to get out of my system (damn). However, I understand the dilemma (hair vs. sex), and I loved the positives, but this is just too much, especially since not that many people seemed to have the effects that I had on Propecia (less body hair, longer eyelashes, etc) I'm afraid my body might go nuts with dutasteride. I also can't wait 36 months worrying about getting gyno, even if it is a small chance, with these kind of [atypical?] side-effects I would just be a nervous wreck. Just know what you might be getting yourself into.

I guess the overall point I'm getting at is if you're moderately happy with finasteride then stick with it and only switch if you really need to. This is basically what everyone else told me but I didn't listen, lol.

T

Timi

Take you dutasteride Dayli 0,5mg?

Take finasteride -dutasteride
finasteride 3x than dutasteride and so on

Sexdrive better

Timi

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
You are taking 3 days of finasteride and 1 day of dutasteride? Do you feel like the dutasteride helps? Yeah I was taking 0.5mg/day every day...

T

Timi

i have take 2006-2007 finasteride Dayli and all 5Days 0,5mg dutasteride my Hair was very good
than
minoxidil in the corners and great thinning , my Front Destroyed! stop minoxidil

is dutasteride good for You?
Hair better?

Timi

T

Timi

Davidoff said:
Timi.do you have any sides?

Yes big side effects

Fat Body-as Rubber skin
Face swollen as Rubber skin
heavy Palpitations
Headache
Eys Red and slimy
Fatigue without end No Power
Blood in semen

i am attempt today (New beginning after a long Stop)
0,1mg dutasteride Dayli but i see the same Symptoms
even with this dose to violently

Positiv
Hair looks good
but the side effekt no worth it
it ruined the body

i think to inhibit Typ1 is not good
is very important for the body

finasteride have very good worked for me i think
this is better for me

Timi

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
How long after stopping before sexual sides went away? At least, how long before things started to get better? I just want this stuff out of my body right now. :(

T

Timi

paximperia said:
How long after stopping before sexual sides went away? At least, how long before things started to get better? I just want this stuff out of my body right now. :(

the Half-time from dutasteride is 3-5 weeks
detectable in the Blood 9Months

the body goes return in 6Month

My Question
was dutasteride good for Your Hair??

Timi

ttroy

Reaction score
"2. Very very weird scrotum pain for the first month and in the process it got smaller and less sensitive. I was hoping this would go away but it hasn't. This is really what got me to drop it. This really freaked me out. Screw that-- I don't want to wait and see what else happens next..."
Less sensitive..does it have a rubbery feeling to it? I got this after dropping finasteride and it has not gone away (it's been 10 months).

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah. At this point I'm really hoping these sides (all of them) go away... Damn dutasteride.

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Unfortunate results of using an anti-androgenic, feminizing drug that chemically castrates your prostate, shifts androgen/estrogen ratio in favor of estrogens, and changes your hormonal profile to match that of a 5AR deficient pseudohermaphrodite...

Sorry man, that's the risk we all took for those that got side effects from these medications. Remember, according to others it's all in our heads, right? Right. :roll:

Hopefully you get back to your old self in time, if not welcome to the club of trying to figure out wtf happened and how to fix it. Most docs are of no help, so you need to do your research.

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have permanent side effects, did it get even a little better? How long were you on it? How long were you off it? and...Are you still taking Finasteride?

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been about two weeks and things seem to (slowly but surely be getting better). I started sweating under my arms again (which had completely disappeared with dutasteride), and sex drive is a little bit better. However this whole thing has made me second guess what I've been doing with finasteride. I don't think I have been realizing what finasteride has been doing to my sex drive, I always assumed that I was just getting older (I'm 21), but now I really wonder if the finasteride has been responcible for my decreased libido these past few years. Of course I didn't notice an obvious cause-effect decrease in sex drive with Propecia, which I certainly experienced within the first week on dutasteride (no question).

Still no improvement with the "scrotum situation", although recently I have been getting a "tingling" sensation the first few hours after waking up, in contrast to the aching pain I got when I first started taking it. I'm hoping that it's the opposite of whatever happened to begin with.

Scary to say the least... At this point I'm thinking that finasteride is good enough, and the sides are tolerable. I'll find some other way (topicals) to deal with the hair issue, or I'll just let my hair start to thin, at first at least.

I know I'm not hallucinating, and I'm starting to second guess the FDA. I KNOW that I have lost body hair on finasteride (not even mentioned as a side effect, and it's very noticeable), I KNOW that my scrotum has gotten tighter and less sensitive on dutasteride (I KNOW THIS, with 100% certainty), I KNOW my eyelashes have gotten longer, and I KNOW my eyebrows have gotten thinner on finasteride. I don't like body hair to begin with, so I don't mind, but am I just an outlier/abnormal responder? Quite frankly this whole experience has me thinking WTF. I also have heard that I'm not the only one having these issues. It also worries me about what other people have been saying on the forum about other "undocumented (and more serious) side effects (possibly permanent)" especially since I have experienced undocumented sides myself.

Obviously everyone has different reactions, just like the DHT suppression percentage varies from person to person, but come on. Really?

ttroy

Reaction score
Well now you know. Now you only need bubka or some other ignoralt guy telling you it's all in your head because he isn't having any issues.. My dick and balls still feel tight and rubbery and it started with the same tingling and numbness you are experiencing. My junk just feels "tight" and all scrunched up. The weird thing is, that my hormonal levels are actually optimal right now, but some of these symptoms just won't go away. It's soon been a year since all this started and it's not looking too bright. Hopefully you will get better. Good luck.

Libido

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont think a lot of people thinks most of the effects are "imaginary". The question is what is finasteride, and what is something else. Yes, its dumb to jump in and say its *not* finas. But you must also realize its equally dumb to say that stuff like loss of libido or even impotence *has* to be finas. Its like people think they are superhuman and whenever something wierd happens it *must* be due to <whatever>.

Sometimes I understand the people that post stupid stuff like "finasteride is for men only" even though I would never do it myself. Every now and then I find a post here from someone sharing their experience with sides, and im hopefull I might learn something (as Im also taking finasteride). So I take time to read it, just to realize that its yet another **** that pretty much just decides to blame his "lack of manhood" on finasteride. At that point, whether finas has done something or not becomes totaly irrelevant to the post. And we learn nothing. Furthermore, what "we" observe is a bunch guys holding hands and blaming all their troubbles in life on big corps. And quite frankly it looks both silly and inneffective.

Impotence and similair are big things, and I feel sorry for anyone that experience it, so I would never make fun of the actual condition. But more people than me suspects that atleast 50% (and probably a lot more) of effects reported on this board are either:
- Mental
- Unrelated to finas

Who suffers from this? People that tries to get to the bottom with their very real finasterid side effects, and people like me that want to avoid going the same route.

ttroy

Reaction score
Good post. At least I have had a testicular ultrasound, a lung xray and a brain MRI to rule out other possibilities. Both came back clean. A pituitary or testicular tumor would have explained it.

It's not simply impotence or libido, that could be explained by anxiety, depression, low selfesteem or what ever. But people are getting gyno, numb genitals, tissue changes in their dicks, no morning erections what so ever etc. which rules out the mental side. I was open for the option that this was just "something else" and coincidental (even the doctor thougt it was something else until he saw the results), but all problems starting (mild ones, look at my post history) on finasteride and right after quitting it (the major ones) and the tests coming back negative, I'm 99% sure it's finasteride.

And if you look at propeciahelp.com and posts by SWALE(doctor John Crisler) on BB-boards, you will find that the symptoms are too much a like for this being a coincidence. As it's a common drug, it's a rare thing, but it can go horribly wrong if you have bad luck.