Dutasteride - worth a go?

Maelstrom

Established Member
Reaction score
I quit Propecia about 5 months ago after 18 months on it as I didn't think it was helping to even maintain my hair. I gave up on Rogaine foam too at the same time after 6 months use for the same reason. Since then I've been using no treatments.

It's been hard to come to terms with the fact that the 2 main treatments don't do anything for me. Is it worth trying 0.5mg of dutasteride EOD perhaps?

Would another topical regimen be helpful? Revivogen is out as I'm not convinced of it's effectiveness and topical spironolactone seems too messy. Not ready to try RU either. I guess that just leaves a minoxidil with added properties? Perhaps I didn't give it enough time at only 6 months?

I'd be interested in your views on whether it's worth a last stand. I'm now a 38yo NW4 btw.

multispeed27

Established Member
Reaction score
The most common adverse reactions reported in subjects receiving Avodart were impotence, decreased libido, breast disorders (including breast enlargement and tenderness), and ejaculation disorders. The most common adverse reactions reported in subjects receiving combination therapy (Avodart plus tamsulosin) were impotence, decreased libido, breast disorders (including breast enlargement and tenderness), ejaculation disorders, and dizziness.

not sure if your hair is worth THAT... but it's your take :)

Life_sucks

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest...I was on finasteride for 3 years...no sides. Seemed effective I guess.

But I went on dust because it was only twice a week (same as taking finasteride everyday).

It's been almost a year, and my libido and erections have been effected. I don't know if it's dust or stress. I know stress plays a big role and we always overlook it as a culprit.

Anyways, try dust for few months, and observe the effectiveness and sides closely. It's frustrating because we really don't know what's going on in our body. Sometimes it could be just psychological.

multispeed27

Established Member
Reaction score
When I first noticed the sides from finasteride I attributed them to stress as well. I had no idea about those horror stories from finasteride at all. I didn't have much stress in retrospect, but hey, stress is very relative anyway. I know now that it was not stress because weeks after quitting finasteride I had the first night and morning erections in what must have been a year and keep having them every single morning despite having A LOT more stress now than I did back then. Despite having gone back to some shedding I would never never never never never return to finasteride. I feel SO MUCH more energetic, healthy, lively, and driven without it. Not to mention the sex drive that's back were it should be. Just my experience ;)

Life_sucks

Established Member
Reaction score
multispeed27 said:
When I first noticed the sides from finasteride I attributed them to stress as well. I had no idea about those horror stories from finasteride at all. I didn't have much stress in retrospect, but hey, stress is very relative anyway. I know now that it was not stress because weeks after quitting finasteride I had the first night and morning erections in what must have been a year and keep having them every single morning despite having A LOT more stress now than I did back then. Despite having gone back to some shedding I would never never never never never return to finasteride. I feel SO MUCH more energetic, healthy, lively, and driven without it. Not to mention the sex drive that's back were it should be. Just my experience ;)
How old are you?

I'm 35 now, so I'm also thinking my age is a small factor also.

multispeed27

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 28. But you're not old at 35. Certainly not too old to have a vibrant sex life.

And given that in published studies (!) on Finasteride up to 18.5% of participants developed signs of impotence kind of makes it not too hard to believe you got fucked by this pill. Try going without for 4-6 weeks and see what happens.

Life_sucks

Established Member
Reaction score
multispeed27 said:
I'm 28. But you're not old at 35. Certainly not too old to have a vibrant sex life.

And given that in published studies (!) on Finasteride up to 18.5% of participants developed signs of impotence kind of makes it not too hard to believe you got f***ed by this pill. Try going without for 4-6 weeks and see what happens.
18.5%?? Do you have a reference? I thought it was less than 2%.

I'm just waiting to decide what topical to use to replace Dust. I don't want to make any haste decisions.... Plus I have 2-3 months of duts which I have to finish.

What did you replace finasteride with? And how did that go?