Dutasteride vs Finasteride

asdf1234

Established Member
Reaction score
what's the difference between the two in terms of what they do for hair?

Mestys

Established Member
Reaction score
They do exactly the same thing to halt hair loss. They reduce levels of DHT by binding to the 5AR enzyme. Dutasteride is more effective because it has a stronger affinity to the 5AR Type 1 enzyme which reduces levels of DHT even more than Finasteride. The drawbacks of using Dutasteride is of course increasing the likelihood of side effects.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Mestys said:
Dutasteride is more effective because it has a stronger affinity to the 5AR Type 1 enzyme which reduces levels of DHT even more than Finasteride.

It also has a stronger affinity to the 5AR Type 2 enzyme, in addition to the Type 1 enzyme. That may actually be the main reason why dutasteride lowers DHT more than finasteride.

Mestys

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes that's a good point. I read somewhere that Type 1 doesn't seem to play that much of a role in hair loss.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
MK386 (an experimental specific type 1 inhibitor drug made by Merck) has been tested in both humans and stumptailed macaques, and found not to be very effective at stopping male pattern baldness.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Haircut said:
What the hell..

I did some mini-research on the stuff and when used with proscar it inhibited up to 89% DHT.. and was found to be effective in combating male pattern baldness

What specifically are you talking about? MK-386? Where did you find that it was (supposedly) effective at combatting male pattern baldness? (Yes, I've read the study in which MK-386 was combined with finasteride, but I don't recall any mention of anything having to do with any effect on male pattern baldness!)

Haircut said:
Why was MK-386 never pursued?

I don't think they've ever found any specific use for MK-386. It doesn't work for male pattern baldness, and doesn't even work for acne (a famous study tested it a few years ago for acne, but was found not to do any good.)

el longhorn

Reaction score
Dutasteride inhibits types 1 and 2 of the 5AR enzyme resulting in up to 90% of DHT suppression. Finasteride targets only the type 2 class of the enzyme and gives approximately 70% DHT suppression. (correct me if I'm wrong this is all info from lecture this semester on BPH)

Affinity of dutasteride is much greater for 5AR hence the dosage difference of only 0.5mg Avodart vs. 5mg Proscar... It blows my mind that some people claim less sides using dutasteride over finasteride?

Mestys

Established Member
Reaction score
el longhorn said:
Dutasteride inhibits types 1 and 2 of the 5AR enzyme resulting in up to 90% of DHT suppression. Finasteride targets only the type 2 class of the enzyme and gives approximately 70% DHT suppression. (correct me if I'm wrong this is all info from lecture this semester on BPH)

Affinity of dutasteride is much greater for 5AR hence the dosage difference of only 0.5mg Avodart vs. 5mg Proscar... It blows my mind that some people claim less sides using dutasteride over finasteride?

I read somewhere that Finasteride targets Type 1 and Type 2. It has a very weak effect on binding to Type 1 where Dutasteride has a higher affinity to Type 1 (100 fold) as well as being more effective at binding to Type 2.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
el longhorn said:

Let's be clear about the LEVELS of those two separate enzymes affected by dutasteride and finasteride. At standard, recommended doses (0.5 mg/day), dutasteride inhibits about 98% to 99% of the type 2 enzyme, and about half of the type 1 enzyme. At 5 mg/day (the standard Proscar dosage), finasteride inhibits about 90% of the type 2 enzyme, and a small, insubstantial amount of the type 1 enzyme.

pv78

Reaction score
Mr Bryan,
about dutasteride I've a question:did you read the Glaxo trial about comparison between finasteride 5 mg and different dutasteride dosages?
Well,in six months dutasteride 2 mg make an improvement about 2 times better than finasteride 5 mg,and about 1.5 times better than dutasteride 0.5 mg.But,I suppose,the amount of 5 alpha reductase type II blocked was similar,99%.So,why this big difference if the inhibition of type II is the same?

Regards

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
pv78 said:
Mr Bryan,
about dutasteride I've a question:did you read the Glaxo trial about comparison between finasteride 5 mg and different dutasteride dosages?

Yes, I've read that.

pv78 said:
Well,in six months dutasteride 2 mg make an improvement about 2 times better than finasteride 5 mg,and about 1.5 times better than dutasteride 0.5 mg.But,I suppose,the amount of 5 alpha reductase type II blocked was similar,99%.So,why this big difference if the inhibition of type II is the same?

In six months, the 2.5 mg dutasteride dose made an improvement in haircounts that was about 14.7% better than that of the 0.5 mg dose. That's a bit surprising, considering that both of those doses presumably suppressed the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme by 98% to 99%, or so. So why did the larger 2.5 mg dose do a bit better? :dunno:

I don't think anybody (not even the doctors and scientists working at Glaxo) can answer that for sure, but something I personally have always suspected about that is that at those doses used, the 2.5 mg/day dose was able to achieve a higher steady-state level a lot faster than the 0.5 mg/day dose. Furthermore, it's not entirely out of the question that a greater suppression of the type 1 enzyme (from about 50% at the 0.5 mg dose, to a definitely higher suppression at the 2.5 mg dose) may have had something to do with it, too. When the type 2 enzyme is already pretty-much fully suppressed at both doses, I don't find it impossible to believe that the remaining type 1 enzyme at those doses becomes more significant and more important.

asdf1234

Established Member
Reaction score
I found duta for cheap. Does it really have a higher rixk of side effects? I might buy it.

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride has a moderately greater risk of side-effects than Finasteride, due to the fact that it inhibits significantly more DHT production.

rancidbutter.22

Reaction score
Side effects

Dutasteride has a moderately greater risk of side-effects than Finasteride, due to the fact that it inhibits significantly more DHT production.

It think it is better not to take dutasteride daily and still enjoy its benefits...on the whole finasteride is not that powerful for some people and they have to use dutasteride as the ultimate weapon

john13

Reaction score
Does someone know when the dht level goes back to normal after taking a pill of dutasterid 0.5mg. Is there any graphics around which shows the dht level how it goes back to its main level?
Thanks for any usefull answer.