dutasteride the answer ? -please help...

Dani_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls (?).

I need some sound advice. I am now 30 and have been losing hair since the age of 18. It has really ruined my social life and interaction with family.

About 3 years ago I decided to do somthing about it. My pattern was that of male pattern baldness with hair thining at the crown and then I had hair loss at the temples and the egdes at the hairline to give a 'v' shape. On top of this, there was diffuse hair loss overall. I went to see a clinic in London and they put me on 12.5 % minoxidil with azelic acid and propecia. I follow these religously even today with 1mg propecia a day and 1 ml of the lotion at night.

Come 6 monhts, after initial shedding, I was totally amazed at the results. I had good coverage and the crown and sides were filling in. New hair growth and denser coverage. However since that period the slower shedding has continued and hair still falls out quite slowly. Now coming upto the 3 year mark, I can clearly see that even though I have more hair than before the treatment started, the hair doesnt grow as fast and it appears less dense- over the three year period. I am going back into my shell again and I feel quite sad. The hairs that were initially thicker on the temples are now again becoming fine.

I need some advice, is there anything else I can do? I need to know a few things...

I know the combination is working (minoxidil and propecia), but whats making the hairs less dense and fall out since that initial 6month-1year period ?

I am considering moving on to dutasteride, has anyone made the change with similar repsonce to propecia?

Thanking you in advance...