Dutasteride Should Stop Hair Loss Completely?

SadPerson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey,

I don’t know much about hair loss, so this might be a stupid question.

I recently read on google that Finasteride blocks approximately 70% of DHT, and Dutasteride blocks about 90%+ of DHT. Hence, if a person has androgenic alopecia only, shouldn’t Dutasteride completely stop hair loss since hair loss is caused by DHT, and Dutasteride almost completely blocks it?

cyrusthegreat@hotmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
You can't extrapolate like that when it comes to hair loss and hair loss medications. Nothing is predictable. The only way to find out is to try.

There's a lot more going on in hair loss than just DHT. Reduce your dht and your body might adjust and increase sensitivity. Or you might find that perhaps hair on different parts of your head are more sensitive to testosterone, which increases on finasteride and dutasteride usually, and you'll have increased or quicker hair loss there.

All of this is of course conjecture that you'll find on this forum and others like it going back probably 10 years. These ideas exist, whether right or not, because countless people have made the assumptions you made and turned out to still experience hairloss, or experience increased hair loss.

It's bullshit really. I'd suggest you get on finasteride or dutasteride, or whatever approach you like and as long as it's sustainable in your lifestyle, and you can manage the side-effects, and your hairloss doesn't become worse, then continue on it.