dutasteride question

Reaction score
Ive been on propecia 8 months and feel its hardly doing anything but maybe it is but im considering switching to dutasteride. My questions are if i switch would it be like starting basline like when i first to propecia? and whats the best way to ask my doctor about getting dutasteride since its not FDA approved for hairloss. Thanks everyone.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
First off, what do you mean by "Propecia's not doing anything"? Is it not regrowing hair, or it your hairloss still just as bad as the day you started? Propecia success isn't limited to regrowing hair, it's counted as "working" if you stop shedding or drastically slow down the shedding.

If the shedding is still as bad and you still want to try to stop it, then dutasteride would probably be your next step (if you're not worried about sides). I would also guess that you would go through a "dutasteride shed" when/if you start. I tried going to dutasteride about 4 months ago, but only lasted 3 weeks before going back to propecia (@ 1.25mg instead of .5mg) because the shed was too much for me to handle.

I would suggest going to your doctor first to try and get a script for dutasteride, but I don't know if he/she would give it to you, and I don't know how much Avodart (name brand dutasteride) costs. If you want to try and convince your Doctor, then print this out and take it with you
http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/resourc ... nasteride/
That explains why you want to switch to dutasteride over finasteride. If you can't get a script for it, then I'd recommend 4rx.com for getting generic dutasteride (where I got mine, and the shed that I experienced tells me that it was legit).

Reaction score
Like i mean i guess it is working but i still shed and idk if its more than usual cause i dont count and still get crazy dandruff at times even when using nizoral. So im guessing that i need something a bit stronger i really dont wanna go bald so im willing to give dutasteride a try. Im a diffuse thinner and know my hair isnt how was 6 months ago so im guessing it probably isnt working. Thanks for link imma print it out just incase.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
I would suggest getting something like this for your shower
http://kmrt.us/nsY8yw

I have one, and I put it upside down over the drain (top part sticking up) so that all the hair gets caught in it. I don't do a strict hair count, but it enables me to monitor my hairloss and see if I'm all of a sudden starting to shed.

Reaction score
thanks i seen them in the stores imma pick one up. thanks alot i appreciate it. one last question you said you had crazy sheds when u went back on the finasteride did the hair return?

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Not sure yet. I've let my hair grow out, so those shorter hairs haven't gotten to the point where they'll blend in with the longer ones. I can see about 20 or more shorter hairs around my front hairline, so I'm hopefull. I know that the shed stopped about a week or 2 after I went back to finasteride, so I'm hopefull that they'll come back. I'm sure that the shed would have stopped if I'd have continued with the dutasteride, but I wasn't ready to commit just yet :)

Patrick54

Established Member
Reaction score
Dutasteride started regrowing hair for me at 2 months but I took a loading dose of 1.5mgs a day for the first 10 days, I get mine from inhouse and order Dr. Reddys Dutas.

JayC2

Established Member
Reaction score
youve only been on it 8 months. myhair on finasteride was way worst at 8 months.........at 20 months i know longer shed and have all my hair ....from my experience it has to go down hill a couple of times over 2 years on finasteride

Reaction score
yea i know its only been 8 months i think ill give it the one year mark but idk if i should add rogaine now or wait to the 1 year mark too cause i am losing some ground up front.

wilderness20

Reaction score
notresponding88 said:
yea i know its only been 8 months i think ill give it the one year mark but idk if i should add rogaine now or wait to the 1 year mark too cause i am losing some ground up front.

Hey man, saw your comments. I too am on finasteride (1.25 Generic Daily for 4 months) and have experienced a very nasty shed. I was wondering if you decided to start rogaine? I Have never used the product. I am afraid of worsening my hair shedding. From what I've read, it seems like guys only get minimal regrowth on minoxidil. Is this true? All my hair has been lost within the last 12 months. Previous to that I had 0 hair loss. Does that mean I am more inclined to respond to Rogaine? Any suggestions or observations would be helpful. Peace.

Reaction score
@wilderness20
hey man sorry i didnt even notice your post until now. No i havent started rogaine yet kinda afraid since i think in my opinion shedding like crazy. Im actually going to my dermatologist today to see if he can give me a script for duta which i hope he will. Im planning to start minoxidil at the one year mark that i know for sure.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
I upped my dose from .5mg (which I'd been doing for 3+ years) to 1.25, and I shed like a MOFO for 2 months. I'd get a big clump of hair left in the shower drain catch, and it was pretty stressful. However, it's gone down to about 1/5th of what it was. Now I'm just waiting for the re-growth to start.

Moral of the story: Stick it out. I didn't really notice a difference in my hair until about a year after I started on finasteride. First it takes 3 months for the DHT to get blocked. Then it takes 2 or 3 growth cycles for the hairs to grow back thicker (3ish months per cycle). So, you're looking at about a year for some noticeable regrowth.

Reaction score
Rawtashk thanks for the feed back. I tried to get a prescription for dutasteride yesterday from my dermatologist but he wouldnt give it to me not because it wasn't safe or anything but he thinks it does the samething as propecia. So i guess imma wait till the one year mark and hopefully something good will happen.