Dutasteride Performs Worse Than Finasteride For Me

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been finasteride user since 2001, I was maintaining just fine. But I switched to dutasteride in 2015, and the frontal area of my hair has deteriorated a lot since! There was a period of time occasionally that my hair seemed better overall compared to finasteride, but frontal area never recovered! And now overall quality of my hair is much worse than when I was on finasteride.

I just don't get it, how can it be when dutasteride suppresses both type-1 and type-2 5AR, when finasteride only suppresses type-2.

I'm switching back to finasteride starting next month! Has anyone had similar experience?

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been finasteride user since 2001, I was maintaining just fine. But I switched to dutasteride in 2015, and the frontal area of my hair has deteriorated a lot since! There was a period of time occasionally that my hair seemed better overall compared to finasteride, but frontal area never recovered! And now overall quality of my hair is much worse than when I was on finasteride.

I just don't get it, how can it be when dutasteride suppresses both type-1 and type-2 5AR, when finasteride only suppresses type-2.

I'm switching back to finasteride starting next month! Has anyone had similar experience?
Yes, I had a bad experience with dutas and switched back to finasteride. Like you, I thought that inhibiting both 5AR isoforms could only be beneficial, but everything got worse. To be fair, I was only on dutas for 4-5 months, but the shedding and thinning were so extreme I didn't wait around to see if a miracle could occur.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This highlights the lack of scientific understanding around alopecia.

zetta98

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Im gonna say that its not dutasteride destroying your hair. Its your male pattern baldness just catching up. Try to add RU to your regimen.

INT

Reaction score
Scalp Testosterone can double when on dutasteride and testosterone is a hair killer too, just not as efficient as DHT is.

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Test contributes to hair loss, just not nearly as much, and only 5ar type 2 is found in hair. So surpressing type 1 is pointless and not worth the increase in test

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
Scalp Testosterone can double when on dutasteride and testosterone is a hair killer too, just not as efficient as DHT is.

This is the part I don't understand. If DHT is more potent, wouldn't inhibit more of it be beneficial? Maybe DHT-type-1 is not harmful to hair?

The frontal area is especially weak! That does not happen when I was on finasteride.