Dutasteride Or Oral Minoxidil / Which Should I Start?

IncognitoMan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some quick history. Been on Finasteride for 18 months, basically have periods of stabilization, and periods of slight loss (hairline thinning). I have no crown loss. I’ve tried topical minoxidil, but have terrible skin irritation... literally, it’s like I had a chemical peel. I tried 3 months of topical progesterone cream, which didn’t do anything. I am currently on my 4th month of topical 5% spironolactone, applied twice daily to my hairline. It’s basically helped a bit with the itching, and grew a some vellus hairs a bit longer. Maybe the topical spironolactone will improve/thicken hairline over next couple of months, but I need to plan for my next treatment. Which brings me to my next question(s).

Should I add dutasteride (0.5mg EOD) or oral minoxidil (2.5mg twice daily)? My hair loss is in my hairline... general thinking and temporal recession. Been trying to stop/reverse this for 18+ months. I imagine I’ve slowed this down with Finasteride.

My concern with Dutasteride is sexual side effects. Although I haven’t had any negative side effects from Finasteride, I realize there’s a higher chance with Dutasteride. Also, potential muscle atrophy. I’m an athletically fit person. Workout 6 times a week and stay in good shape. Would hate to see loss in this area.

My concern with Oral Minoxidil is hypertrichosis. I do not have a lot of body hair... in fact, I have very little. Basically no unwanted body hair on hands, chest, back, etc. I could use a thicker beard, though. My BP is normal, and resting heart rate is low (high 40s or low 50s). Obviously, I imagine I’ll get a bit hairier overall, but how much is the question? Especially only taking 5mg a day.

Any insight would be helpful! Also, forgot to mention, I have been dermarolling at 1.5mm every two to three weeks. I’m going to try and be more consistent and do this weekly.

HTHM

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well without considering possible side effects probably you will have the most positive effect by adding Oral Minoxidil to your regimen since it works as a stimulator - meaning in a different way then DHT-Blockers from which you already benefit by using Finasteride...
Probably: Synergetic effect of DHT-Blocker + Stimulator > Synergetic effect of DHT-Blocker + Stronger DHT-Blocker

IncognitoMan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks @HTHM I was leaning towards oral minoxidil myself. Still concerned about hypertrichosis, though. Does anyone know of a way to minimize this possibility? Or, is there no way around it?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Almost two years on and really no issues with increased body hair growth. Of course just my experience but I have low to moderate body hair (no heavy arm hair or any hair shoulders etc.

HTHM

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks @HTHM I was leaning towards oral minoxidil myself. Still concerned about hypertrichosis, though. Does anyone know of a way to minimize this possibility? Or, is there no way around it?
I think it pretty much depends on your genetics and you can not really control it...Maybe a bit by going for a lower dose..
Almost two years on and really no issues with increased body hair growth. Of course just my experience but I have low to moderate body hair (no heavy arm hair or any hair shoulders etc.

You are on a quite low dose (1.25mg) compared to most other people which often use > 2.5mg. Maybe that has also an impact? Did you feel some improvement in your hair at all after starting Oral Minoxidil? It's actually interesting for me because i'm also trying Oral Minoxidil at the moment but could not really go over 1.5mg without getting sides (headache, stomach pain, swollen and pale face, dark circles)

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it pretty much depends on your genetics and you can not really control it...Maybe a bit by going for a lower dose..

You are on a quite low dose (1.25mg) compared to most other people which often use > 2.5mg. Maybe that has also an impact? Did you feel some improvement in your hair at all after starting Oral Minoxidil? It's actually interesting for me because i'm also trying Oral Minoxidil at the moment but could not really go over 1.5mg without getting sides (headache, stomach pain, swollen and pale face, dark circles)
I eased into my current 5mg dose six months at a time. Agree with the above genetics will great impact sides.

IncognitoMan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Thanks! I also have low body hair, so hopefully I’ll not have any issues with increased body hair!

IncognitoMan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s been approx 30 days since I began oral minoxidil. Seeing many hairs grow in my temples and hairline — definitely a positive effect! I’ve also noticed a slight increase in eyebrow density, and a bit darker arm hair. About 10-12 days ago I reduced dosage to 2.5mg EOD. Haven’t noticed any negative effects from reducing dosage, but it hasn’t been long. Reason for reducing dosage was to keep unwanted body hair growth to a minimum. Will plan to update in another month or so.

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes oral minoxidil works extremely well, I dropped finasteride and just use minoxidil now!

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
As someone that has been on oral minoxidil for almost 3 years I can say there seems to be a drop off in effectiveness at some point. I waiting on Finasteride and think I lost the early benefit of the oral Minoxidil in year two. Now I’m aggressively miniaturized but the oral minoxidil shed cycle continues.

Ray Baz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
if you haven't started minoxidil yet i wouldn't recommend it as there are better natural methods that are scientifically proven to be better and safer. and would save you from having panda eyes