dutasteride once a week, finasteride on other days

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I obtained some dutasteride last year, but decided not to take it for various reasons. Not so much the side effects profile which doesn't worry me, but more the possibility of upregulation or androgen receptors becoming more sensitive as DHT is reduced. I'm not sure if there is any truth in this, another school of thought is that the cumulative effect of DHT on hair follicles is lessened by inhibiting more DHT at a younger age so your hair may last longer of you go straight to dutasteride. I really don't know and I doubt anyone does.

So I just found an old topic on HRN, it was a single patient study so obviously to be taken with a massive tablespoon of salt, and the subject was in his 50s.

Nonetheless, the subject reported a significant increase in hair and cessation of excessive shedding. Numerous other people in the comments reported some degree of increased hair growth or less shedding by addition of dutasteride 1 x per week.

So I think I'll give it a try for a few months, hopefully it can at least reduced my crazy 100+ hairs per day shedding (maybe psoriasis related rather than DHT related since mostly from the back.... Will continue to use finasteride, minoxidil, biotin and castor oil on other days.

In know not many people here take dutasteride, it's expensive, not as widely prescribed and has a slightly higher side effect profile and a lot of people think it's more prudent to wait until finasteride loses its effectiveness before switching to dutasteride.

Thoughts anyone?

SniperWolfMR

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea to give this a shot. 90 percent of the accounts of people flat out switching from finasteride to dutasteride result in a nail in the coffin against their hair loss.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea to give this a shot. 90 percent of the accounts of people flat out switching from finasteride to dutasteride result in a nail in the coffin against their hair loss.

I can't quite tell if you mean that it's a good or bad thing.

SniperWolfMR

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a bad thing. A large majority of people lose all their hair when switching to dutasteride full time.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's a bad thing. A large majority of people lose all their hair when switching to dutasteride full time.

smhp.gif

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I obtained some dutasteride last year, but decided not to take it for various reasons. Not so much the side effects profile which doesn't worry me, but more the possibility of upregulation or androgen receptors becoming more sensitive as DHT is reduced. I'm not sure if there is any truth in this, another school of thought is that the cumulative effect of DHT on hair follicles is lessened by inhibiting more DHT at a younger age so your hair may last longer of you go straight to dutasteride. I really don't know and I doubt anyone does.

So I just found an old topic on HRN, it was a single patient study so obviously to be taken with a massive tablespoon of salt, and the subject was in his 50s.

Nonetheless, the subject reported a significant increase in hair and cessation of excessive shedding. Numerous other people in the comments reported some degree of increased hair growth or less shedding by addition of dutasteride 1 x per week.

So I think I'll give it a try for a few months, hopefully it can at least reduced my crazy 100+ hairs per day shedding (maybe psoriasis related rather than DHT related since mostly from the back.... Will continue to use finasteride, minoxidil, biotin and castor oil on other days.

In know not many people here take dutasteride, it's expensive, not as widely prescribed and has a slightly higher side effect profile and a lot of people think it's more prudent to wait until finasteride loses its effectiveness before switching to dutasteride.

Thoughts anyone?

No way to tell unless you provide some background on your finasteride experience... For me finasteride was horrible. It basically destroyed my f*cking scalp and thought dutasteride would help. Was on it for a couple months and it made things drastically worst. I think a logically formula to follow would be - success on finasteride = safe to add dutasteride and failure on finasteride = horrible idea to add dutasteride. I would consider RU.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
RU seems much weaker than dutasteride to me. Why would failure on finasteride mean that dutasteride won't work? It can simply mean that finasteride doesn't block enough of your DHT to stop your hair loss.

What do you mean by destroyed your scalp? Increased hair loss or something else?

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
RU seems much weaker than dutasteride to me. Why would failure on finasteride mean that dutasteride won't work? It can simply mean that finasteride doesn't block enough of your DHT to stop your hair loss.

What do you mean by destroyed your scalp? Increased hair loss or something else?

I believe that most people that experience accelerated hair loss on finasteride, such as myself, do so because their body is STRONGLY counteracting the effects of the drug. That is simply the only logic behind it. For now, our only theories are up-regulation of androgen receptors, increased sensitivity to elevated testosterone, or increased activity/sensitivity in the other pathways. Now, your reasoning is correct too... shooting a BB gun at a bear will just piss him off... shooting an assault riffle a bear MAY kill it, or may just piss it off worst. I go by how my scalp feels. I deeply believe in reading and correlating symptoms with physiological activity. On finasteride - crazy scalp irritation. crawling, burning, itching... of COURSE, accompanied by extremely rapid hair loss. 200-300 hairs a day, counted. I started dutasteride with the same mindset as you.. WAY WORST. oral androgen inhibition is just not for me. My body is the bear that just gets pissed off worst. Yours may not be. I am simply stating my experience.

SniperWolfMR

Established Member
Reaction score

Find me a success story of someone switching from finasteride to dutasteride.

Now I'll make it easier, find me a story where someone got a shed so debilitating that its impossible to recover and seemingly never stopped from switching from finasteride to dutasteride.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe that most people that experience accelerated hair loss on finasteride, such as myself, do so because their body is STRONGLY counteracting the effects of the drug. That is simply the only logic behind it. For now, our only theories are up-regulation of androgen receptors, increased sensitivity to elevated testosterone, or increased activity/sensitivity in the other pathways. Now, your reasoning is correct too... shooting a BB gun at a bear will just piss him off... shooting an assault riffle a bear MAY kill it, or may just piss it off worst. I go by how my scalp feels. I deeply believe in reading and correlating symptoms with physiological activity. On finasteride - crazy scalp irritation. crawling, burning, itching... of COURSE, accompanied by extremely rapid hair loss. 200-300 hairs a day, counted. I started dutasteride with the same mindset as you.. WAY WORST. oral androgen inhibition is just not for me. My body is the bear that just gets pissed off worst. Yours may not be. I am simply stating my experience.

Interesting. Well, I have no wild reaction of that sort to finasteride. My scalp feels (and always has) felt normal, but finasteride has only slowed down my hair loss if that. That's why I believe it's merely not enough. It certainly hasn't sped up though, nor do I have any symptoms of reflex hyperandrogenism. With that in mind I think moving to dutasteride would be a valid choice for me. I probably won't buy a 90 day supply right away though, maybe get a 50 day supply just to see how I do on it.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

Now I'll make it easier, find me a story where someone got a shed so debilitating that its impossible to recover and seemingly never stopped from switching from finasteride to dutasteride.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not

boldmun

Reaction score

Finasteride wasn't helping me keep the hair I had. After seeing a thread on here that showed successful results with dutasteride, I initially switched from finasteride to dutasteride once a week but my hair kept getting worse. I thought that maybe I needed to take dutasteride everyday. I continued to lose hair but thought I need to give it six months. Here we are and my hair is worse off than I started. Now I'm going back to finasteride because at this point nothing can stop the inevitable. I wasn't aware that dutasteride made things worse.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I maintained well and regrew a decent amount of hair on finasteride and minoxidil, just shedding a lot these past few months so getting concerned, it may be due to psoriasis and is almost exclusively from the back, but I want to thicken my hair a little more and make my hair last longer.

Smallville

My Regimen
Reaction score

What about trying topical finasteride?

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Stating facts

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Considering all the other benefits of Ecklonia cava being compared with finasteride, and of course the potential benefits and proving results of dutasteride - what are your opinions on using dutasteride once or twice a week and Ecklonia cava on the other days? I am just assuming that the sides may be minimal and ecklonia cava can also do its positive effects. (Maybe once duta is in the system, this might be helpful so as to have minimal hormonal imbalance)

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Considering all the other benefits of Ecklonia cava being compared with finasteride, and of course the potential benefits and proving results of dutasteride - what are your opinions on using dutasteride once or twice a week and Ecklonia cava on the other days? I am just assuming that the sides may be minimal and ecklonia cava can also do its positive effects. (Maybe once duta is in the system, this might be helpful so as to have minimal hormonal imbalance)
About 7 months ago after being on finasteride for 20+ yrs I started to see thinning. My derm added dutasteride .5 once a week for a month then 2x's a week after that (taking finasteride on off days).

I ended up taking dutasteride once a week for 4months because
A) I had a gnarly shed that lasted 6 weeks to the day
B) I wanted to make sure I didnt get any sides.

After the 4th month I upped to dutasteride 2times/finasteride 5Times. Its been a little over 3months+. I havent noticed anything.

Im close to 50 so I dont know if i will positively react or if destiny has caught up to me. Im going to give it a full year as some have suggested. I dont think I will up intake. My derm seems to think this should be good.

Jghost

My Regimen
Reaction score

Thoughts anyone?
I switched from finasteride to dutasteride and it was a huge mistake I grew alot of hair back on finasteride but once I started dutasteride I lost most of it six months later it never returned now I'm on finasteride again hoping for a come back

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I switched from finasteride to dutasteride and it was a huge mistake I grew alot of hair back on finasteride but once I started dutasteride I lost most of it six months later it never returned now I'm on finasteride again hoping for a come back
the difference is finasteride results started to diminish for me. It was solid for 20+ years. The addition of dutasteride was hopefully to supercharge finasteride. we shall see. I stopped shedding at 6week mark.