Dutasteride: More Pros than Cons?

HairlossCA

Reaction score
OK, so I've been reading alot of threads recently about Dutasteride and it sounds like a very effective way to attack both types of DHT levels. I am currently taking 1.25mg of Finasteride daily but would certainly welcome a more effective replacement such as dutasteride. With all things considered, this leads to my question:

If dutasteride is REALLY that effective, why isn't it a no-brainer to replace Propecia/Proscar with dutasteride? Is it b/c it is more expensive or perhaps that the transition may cause undesirable effects, ie, massive frontal shedding? Or is it could it be that there are potentially more severe adverse effects with long term usage of dutasteride?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

(Note: I posted this in the treatment section but realized it was an old thread, so I am posting on the main board, my apologies if that breaks standard protocol)

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If the testing has revealed that maybe 4% of men have side effects, they are easy to spot, and they are reversible by going off the meds, why is that such a huge concern?

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well i dont know about you but if im growing tits..there is no f*****g way im leaving the house.......thats the reason why none of us take it.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you notice it, you stop taking the dutasteride. You will notice it long before anyone else would.

HairlossCA

Reaction score
So, basically the most feared side effect is gynecosmastia? From reading threads on this board I don't recall anyone attesting to this side effect, but moreso mentioned were headaches, ejaculate volume decrease, sex drive increase, etc. If I can recall correctly I did however, find that someone experienced gynecosmastia from Finasteride.

Are there any other major issues reported? I'd be willing to try it and if I had bad effects I would just drop it and go back on the finasteride. It sounds like a great addition to nizoral and Revivogen--has anyone seen GREAT results with dutasteride without bad sides?

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
massive frontal sheds that's the big worry.
Has it been documented anywhere that this will happen more with dutasteride than with finasteride or minoxidil? I was on finasteride for about a month, but two weeks ago switched to dutasteride. I did experience a shed soon after starting on minoxidil, tricomin and finasteride at the same time, and the shed lasted about a month. It appears to have stopped now. I don't think dutasteride has affected the shed one way or another.

G

mvpsoft said:
tynanW said:
Has it been documented anywhere that this will happen more with dutasteride than with finasteride or minoxidil? I was on finasteride for about a month, but two weeks ago switched to dutasteride. I did experience a shed soon after starting on minoxidil, tricomin and finasteride at the same time, and the shed lasted about a month. It appears to have stopped now. I don't think dutasteride has affected the shed one way or another.

I have only seen anecdotal stuff on this, but as you know the bad stuff tends to get reported alot more.

Keep us up to date with your dutasteride progress.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Steriods?then gyno is the least of your friends problems ...heart failure is number 1 lol.

HairlossCA

Reaction score
Has anyone that has used dutasteride experienced this massive shed, only to bounce back with healthy hair replacing the shed, as well as possibly experiencing additional regrowth?

I've read some great things about dutasteride but if I can't find enough encouraging accounts, I'm stickin' with the finasteride!

oni

Reaction score
I have been on both for 6months now thats dutasteride 0.5mg and finasteride 1.25mg The shed has been going on close to 3mths now it has worked for me and I am now stable with no side effects and the regrowth is coming on leaps and bounds.

I would like to post pics but I don't have any from the first 5mths so it's not worth it really.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
tynanW said:
Anecdotal evidence suggests that a shed from dutasteride is unlikely to start until around the three month mark.
Why the switch to dutasteride so soon after starting on finasteride? Is your hair loss so bad that you're sure finasteride wouldn't suffice?

Slarti

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
mvpsoft said:
tynanW said:
Anecdotal evidence suggests that a shed from dutasteride is unlikely to start until around the three month mark.
Why the switch to dutasteride so soon after starting on finasteride? Is your hair loss so bad that you're sure finasteride wouldn't suffice?
I've been losing hair for 20 years, slowly, which means the odds of regrowing hair on my temples, where most of my loss has occured, are very small. I started on propecia then found out about dutasteride. So I decided to go on that for several months along with minoxidil, Tricomin and Nizoral to give it my best shot at hair regrowth before succumbing to surgery.

bombscience

Reaction score
I have been on both finasteride & dutasteride for 3 months now (After 13 months on finasteride I added dutasteride). I'm having a pretty nice shed and yes I am experiencing a higher than normal amount of frontal hair lost. However I'm going to give this another 6 months before I make up my mind on what to do.

[/i]