dutasteride May Be Working For Me After Years Of Slow Loss | HairLossTalk Forums

dutasteride May Be Working For Me After Years Of Slow Loss

Discussion in 'Antiandrogens - Propecia, Dutasteride, etc.' started by ScottS, Nov 19, 2017.

1. ScottS

ScottS New Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    This is my very first post on HairLossTalk.com. I've been a member of another hairloss forum for a number of years, but truly appreciate the look and layout and sharing on this website from "surfing" it. So here goes.

I do NOT want to "jinx" this, but for the first time in decade(S), I think that I am getting some actual regrowth and maintenance. And the one thing that has changed is the addition of dutasteride.

I began slowly losing my hair in college. Fortunately it has not been aggressive, but gradual. I am about a Norwood 2.5. I have enough hair on top to look like I have more than I actually do. When the wind blows the "wrong" way, I have felt self-conscious about my hairline. In my early 20's, people commented on my bald spot.

Soon after all those shampoos that didn't really make a difference other than condition the hair you actually still have, and those EARLY years of "New Generation," and "Hair Prime" and others, out came minoxidil. I jumped on that bandwagon in 1988. And a few years later got on the "finasteride" train.

I utilized Richard Lee out of California for my Minoxidil before he was shut down. Now for years I've been using either Target Brand or Costco 5% minoxidil. When I read about Nizoral being helpful, I added that.

Fast forward to the past 2 years. After a Medical Wellness Center online consult, I began adding dutasteride 0.5 to my regimen of finasteride-min-nizoral at the rate of three pills per week. On "T" days: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. I know, I know...silly, but it helped me remember to take it.

Then I halted my finasteride online purchases from All Day Chemist and other Indian Pharmacies, and stuck with simply: dutasteride 3X/week, Nizoral 3-5X/week, and minoxidil 5% twice daily.

Enter the past month plus. I decided at the rate I'm paying for dutasteride (not much per month at Costco), I would just TRY going daily on dutasteride, since I've been taking it slowly over time for a year.

The difference is noticeable! I am getting small hairs growing in my temples where I've not seen hair for 30 years. Seriously?! I really, REALLY to not want to jinx this. I know that I'll never be Tom Cruise or have the hair of some people. But it is making me very, very happy. I have no problem sharing this with everyone out there in the HairLossTalk.com world: I am 60. People tell me I look 40. I know I'm not 20. And there is no ego about being handsome and all that. My life is good. I have a family who loves me, students who love me. I'm living my life well with teaching, traveling, music, photography. I know that hair is not the most important thing in life.

However, having this recent "success" with dutasteride has really made me happy.

Just wanted to share, and wish others success with whatever regimen works for you. And to share that sometimes something can start working years after everything else kind of only maintains.

Best of Luck to Each of You!

Scott

#1 ScottS, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. 1knox1

1knox1 Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Happy for you man. Sounds like the dutasteride is doing its job. I've heard positive anecdotes of people adding in dutasteride a few times a week whilst staying on finasteride for the other days.

ScottS likes this.
  3. Johnmpb

Johnmpb Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Thanks for your story. I'm doing dutasteride 3 times a week and finasteride for the remainder. Do u still take finasteride while on dutasteride daily? Have u noticed any sides going from finasteride to dutasteride?

Also, do u have any pics of ur hair/regrowth, that would be awesome to see.

ScottS likes this.
  4. ScottS

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Thanks for being happy for me, 1knox1! Sometimes we don't REALLY want to hear other's success stories, or I should say "hopeful" stories if we ourselves are yet struggling. I know from reading many other's stories, sometimes I've felt, "Darn, why not me?!" I truly hope you have success with your regimen! Yeah, I have been truly surprised! I just hope I don't have a shed, lose it all for good or something! Best of luck to you!

5. ScottS

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hi John! Your dutasteride 3X/week is exactly what I did for the first go. I kept the finasteride going for about 6 months. When I ran out of finasteride, I just thought I'd see what happens with dutasteride only.

So currently my regimen (for the past month plus, and before that without finasteride for about 6 months):
    Minoxidil 5% (Target) 2X Daily
    Dutasteride 0.5 (Costco) 1X Daily
    Nizoral 1% Shampoo 3-5X Weekly

I have been blessed with no sides (for the first YEAR of 3X Weekly dutasteride) and no sides for this first month of dutasteride Daily.

Fingers crossed!

Best of Luck to You, John :)!!!!

And regarding pics, yes agreed. I'll see what I can do. It means finding those "before" pics, too for comparison. Crazy busy with school right now. I'll try to do this before the New Year, like during my Christmas Vacation, OK? Thanks!

Johnmpb likes this.
  6. Johnmpb

Johnmpb Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Update?

7. Jesse Navarro

Jesse Navarro Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    How long until you saw that dutasteride was working?

8. ScottS

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hi John,

Update is continued small hairs in front of my existing hairline. No shed. No sides. Hair I have is feeling thicker. Nothing dramatic like some people's stories. Yet ongoing slow motion steady progress. Will post pics when I can!

9. ScottS

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hi Jesse,

My initial "add" of dutasteride 3X/week to my existing regimen of finasteride 7X/week, 5% min/2X daily, and nizoral 1%/3-5X per week was simply to stabilize things. I noticed within a couple of months that it seemed like my protocol was at least halting further loss.

But honestly after a year or two of that, by adding dutasteride 7X/week from Costco, within 2 months or so, I started noticing thickening, better hair health, meaning that wind didn't make me feel as self-conscious (thicker existing hair) and then the small velous hairs and even some very small terminal hairs in front of my existing hairline.

Since November (so only two months now on the every day dutasteride) things have continued to be stable: no sides, no shed (fingers crossed), and steady very slow motion improvement. Pics are a must, I know. I need to find my "before" from a year plus ago, and then take some decent current shots.

I'm still Norwood 2.5 or so. But things are improving enough that for my work on this (over 25 years), I am feeling quite good!

Wolf Pack and Jesse Navarro like this.
  10. michel sapin

michel sapin Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    hi scott ; so when you were on finasteride you were losing hair ? it didnt maitain ?
    no sides with duta ? such as gyno ?

Wolf Pack likes this.
  11. Jesse Navarro

Jesse Navarro Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Great! Good that things have improved for you without any sides.

ScottS likes this.
  12. ScottS

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hi Michel,

With finasteride, I would say that it definitely SLOWED the loss down. Mostly maintained. But still a very slow increase of an ever-rising forehead. Fortunately, I've had no sides with dutasteride OR finasteride. Nothing :)! (Fingers crossed!)

13. ScottS

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Thanks, Jesse!

Jesse Navarro likes this.
  14. ScottS

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Update [February 13, 2018] I am sad to report that I am going through the worst shed of my life. I hope this is a good thing! I've read multiple "takes" on this. The majority seem to think it IS a good thing. Some just report ongoing loss. My hopes to post a good pic of progress is delayed. I've lost a full 1/2 inch on my left front in the past 45 days. Yikes...:(

Alphalete and Seeker988 like this.
  15. thetdog666

thetdog666 Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    have you got any pre dutasteride pics?

16. ScottS

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I do. But I was hoping to show the gains I had made on dutasteride as a comparison. Now those gains are gone, and I look similar to what I did prior to dutasteride. I had gained what I would say was a fair amount of cosmetic difference in the frontal. That is now gone. So a "before" and "after" would look identical. I'm hoping to ride out this shed, regain (hopefully) what I had, and then post those pics.

17. itsjustsimon

itsjustsimon Experienced Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    My shed on dutasteride is so bad right now, especially on my hairline. I just added 0.5mg every third day, but don’t know what to do. I will probably try 0.5 EOD and pray it all comes back.

Edt: it’s been 8 week since I added duta.

#17 itsjustsimon, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  18. ScottS

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Sorry to hear, itsjustsimon! It is a bear having this happen. I feel your pain!

19. real kombo

real kombo Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen

Update?

tinyrobot and AnxiousAndy like this.