Dutasteride Increased My Dht Levels - Blood Results

DesperateResistant

My Regimen
Reaction score
In March, I tested my DHT levels before I had started taking any medication. I got this value: 747.67 pg/ml.

I have been taking Dutasteride for a month now, but saw no improvement in my hair: the bald spot on my crown continued to grow. I tested my DHT again: 1110.8 pg/ml.

(Normal range is 112-955)

What now? I have continued to lose around 100 hairs from my scalp daily, before and after I started taking dutasteride. Is there any other way to reduce my DHT?

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some people have speculated this to be whats known as 'backdoor synthesis' where i believe DHT can be produced from your adrenals rather than being converted from Test. Pretty rare. Your only way of preventing hairloss would be a Topical AA - oral as well but i doubt you like the idea of becoming a woman. Im about to try Hydroxyflutamide as a topical AA and will report back in the coming weeks / months.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
You could try topical fatty acids like Lauric acid. Pretty good 5-AR inhibitors in sufficient quantity, you can just buy it (it's used as base for soaps and other cosmetics) and plop it into ethanol and apply it. It will go systemic but I don't think that's a concern for you since you had no problem taking dutasteride.

Importantly it has to be free lauric acid but is usually sold as such anyway. Alternatively, some herb extracts like Thuja Occidentalis/Orientalis have decent 5-AR inhibitors in them as well, which likely work in different mechanisms than dutasteride.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some people have speculated this to be whats known as 'backdoor synthesis' where i believe DHT can be produced from your adrenals rather than being converted from Test. Pretty rare. Your only way of preventing hairloss would be a Topical AA - oral as well but i doubt you like the idea of becoming a woman. Im about to try Hydroxyflutamide as a topical AA and will report back in the coming weeks / months.

This pathway still requires 5AR.

m_zeg0031286680001.jpg

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well apparently there is a pathway that doesn't because some rare cases like OP have an increase in DHT

There is now way for the body to make DHT without 5AR or without having metabolites that have already been 5 alpha reduced supplied. For example, milk has the hormone 5alpha-pregnanedione in it. As you can see by the name, it has already been 5 alpha reduced. It can then be converted to DHT in the body even if one is on dutasteride through this back door pathway. Without an exogenous source of 5AR compounds, the back door pathway does not allow for DHT production if one takes a 5AR inhibitor.

Either OP has fake dutasteride or he may just be one of the few that genetically don't respond to the drug. There are a some people with gene variants of the 5AR enzyme that respond better to finasteride than dutasteride.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is now way for the body to make DHT without 5AR or without having metabolites that have already been 5 alpha reduced supplied. For example, milk has the hormone 5alpha-pregnanedione in it. As you can see by the name, it has already been 5 alpha reduced. It can then be converted to DHT in the body even if one is on dutasteride through this back door pathway. Without an exogenous source of 5AR compounds, the back door pathway does not allow for DHT production if one takes a 5AR inhibitor.

Either OP has fake dutasteride or he may just be one of the few that genetically don't respond to the drug. There are a some people with gene variants of the 5AR enzyme that respond better to finasteride than dutasteride.

There are always exceptions. I know @Georgie had the same problem on dutasteride and her DHT literally went up 50% . Who knows if there aren't other undiscovered mechanisms .

Mywinningfight

My Regimen
Reaction score
Same problem here. Well, I have no tested my DHT levels before taking Dutasteride, but my dht levels are in the normal range and I take dutasteride daily.- my post here - https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/dutasteride-not-lowering-my-dht-levels.122816/

Just today one reddit user, give me this possible explanation:

The only thing I can think of is a mutation of your SRD5A1 and/or SRD5A2 genes. It could be that because of a mutation in those genes the resultant 5AR has a low(er) binding affinity with the particular 4-azasteroid which is dutasteride. Have you ever tried finasteride?

As a last ditch effort, if all the readily available azasteroids don't work, you could employ progesterone to inhibit 5AR because it should bind even in the case of mutated enzymes (albeit with a lower affinity than finasteride/dutasteride/dht). SOURCE:

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is exceptionally rare for Dutasteride not to substantially inhibit your DHT. You could have some extremely rare variant of the SRD5A2 allele that is unresponsive to Dutasteride, but normally you would need to be homozygous rather than heterozygous for such an allelic variant in order for your DHT to be completely unaltered by dutasteride. The possibility of being homozygous for an extremely rare variation of SRD5A2 that is unresponsive to dutasteride is incredibly small. I would guess something like one in a million. Are you using genuine Avodart? If not, your dutasteride may be fake. It is also possible that the test you took could have been wrong.

Last edited:

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Researching coconut oil which is 50% Lauric acid.... some say reduces DHT...
We’ve heard the antidotal stories, but few scientific studies. However coconut oil is (one of few) natural sources. Interestingly, female breast milk also has high percentage of Lauric acid. Is this what’s protecting female hair..?
The one research study I did find states if one takes a strand of hair and places it in a Petri dish ie; of coconut oil. The oil is absorbed about 25% into the shaft itself.
This protects hair from protein loss.
I always thought their was a possible correlation between breast milk and hair health.

Yar

My Regimen
Reaction score
In March, I tested my DHT levels before I had started taking any medication. I got this value: 747.67 pg/ml.

I have been taking Dutasteride for a month now, but saw no improvement in my hair: the bald spot on my crown continued to grow. I tested my DHT again: 1110.8 pg/ml.

(Normal range is 112-955)

What now? I have continued to lose around 100 hairs from my scalp daily, before and after I started taking dutasteride. Is there any other way to reduce my DHT?
Add estradiol to your regimen. Antiandrogens do not take estrogens !!! 2ml estradiol