Dutasteride... Hairloss Progressing

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hoping to find words of encouragement out there. I was on Finasteride for 5 years and it worked great and close friends took notice. I felt I was noticing slight thinning behind the hairline over the summer and heard about Dutasteride. I made the switch and I’m now 9 months in and I feel like my hair is thinner than ever behind the hairline. It doesn’t style or look the same.

I just don’t see how this is possible. I know I have more free T but it’s so much less damaging to the hair follicle it’s hard to accept that rationale and so many studies show it as superior to Finasteride (although most are small sample sizes).

I did just add minoxidil 2.5mg to my regimen about a 1.5 months ago as a last ditch effort.

Has anyone else had a similar experience but stuck it out and glad they did? Anyone start seeing great improvement after about a year?

I’m determined to make it to 1 year because so many people on the forum quit after 6 months. I figure at least I can comment for other stressed users In the future.

Honestly, I may just stay on it for good cause I can’t imagine things would get better if I switch back to finasteride.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey,
I had a similar thing and many others have too. I think the issue is that dutasteride is only as good as finasteride at the front, but significantly better at the back. I wouldn’t switch back, you’ll have a massive shed. I did this and I really regret it

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey,
I had a similar thing and many others have too. I think the issue is that dutasteride is only as good as finasteride at the front, but significantly better at the back. I wouldn’t switch back, you’ll have a massive shed. I did this and I really regret it
Thanks! I’m going to stick it out. Wish I was one of the lucky ones that got massive growth.

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on finasteride 1mg a day for 20+ years. It definitely helped.

Noticed finasteride started to lose some strength so switched over to dutasteride .5mg once a week (finasteride 6 days). My derm said to do this for a month and then jump to 2 duts twice a week/finasteride five days.

I stayed on 1dut/6fin for four months because:
Massive shed for 6 weeks
wanted to make sure i didnt get sides.
Shed stopped (at 6 weeks) + no sides after 4 months so jumped onto 2duts/5fin for last 3+ months.

As I type this it seems like I am seeing miniscule results at the front. Maybe not. IDK. Will give this routine a full year. At the very least it seems like hair falling out has slowed or even stopped.

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I take 1x a day and get it from Sams club so confident it’s legit. How long have you been using Dutasteride?

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
when your shed started ? Mine seems to kick in after 1 month, but i take 1 pill a day
My shed started a week in and lasted 6 weeks to the day. TBH I dont know if its working. Some days I feel like theres hope. Others like today I dont know. I have only been on twice a week for about 4 months. 7+ months total of having it in my system. Am told need a full year to judge.

Baldingdane

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on finasteride 1mg a day for 20+ years. It definitely helped.

Noticed finasteride started to lose some strength so switched over to dutasteride .5mg once a week (finasteride 6 days). My derm said to do this for a month and then jump to 2 duts twice a week/finasteride five days.

I stayed on 1dut/6fin for four months because:
Massive shed for 6 weeks
wanted to make sure i didnt get sides.
Shed stopped (at 6 weeks) + no sides after 4 months so jumped onto 2duts/5fin for last 3+ months.

As I type this it seems like I am seeing miniscule results at the front. Maybe not. IDK. Will give this routine a full year. At the very least it seems like hair falling out has slowed or even stopped.
Are you jamesbooker?

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hoping to find words of encouragement out there. I was on Finasteride for 5 years and it worked great and close friends took notice. I felt I was noticing slight thinning behind the hairline over the summer and heard about Dutasteride. I made the switch and I’m now 9 months in and I feel like my hair is thinner than ever behind the hairline. It doesn’t style or look the same.

I just don’t see how this is possible. I know I have more free T but it’s so much less damaging to the hair follicle it’s hard to accept that rationale and so many studies show it as superior to Finasteride (although most are small sample sizes).

I did just add minoxidil 2.5mg to my regimen about a 1.5 months ago as a last ditch effort.

Has anyone else had a similar experience but stuck it out and glad they did? Anyone start seeing great improvement after about a year?

I’m determined to make it to 1 year because so many people on the forum quit after 6 months. I figure at least I can comment for other stressed users In the future.

Honestly, I may just stay on it for good cause I can’t imagine things would get better if I switch back to finasteride.
Just to add- I don’t think the loss from the front is a shed. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. So, add RU 5% In stemoxidine for the front once daily and you may stabilise. I’m experimenting with CB instead but it’s definitely weaker and almost unaffordable at the required dose. However lots of good safety data on it

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just to add- I don’t think the loss from the front is a shed. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. So, add RU 5% In stemoxidine for the front once daily and you may stabilise. I’m experimenting with CB instead but it’s definitely weaker and almost unaffordable at the required dose. However lots of good safety data on it
Yeah sadly you’re probably right. I’ve heard good thing about RU but it seems scary to add something that isn’t FDA approved for anything and I haven’t seen any long term studies.
I’ve actually gone back and forth on getting on it quite a bit.

Are you on RU?

I figure at 9 months my current situation isn’t going to get better. I want to stay on this regimen through June just so I can confirm if things get better it wasn’t because I added something else to my regimen. Maybe after I’ll throw in RU and it will give me time to do research

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah sadly you’re probably right. I’ve heard good thing about RU but it seems scary to add something that isn’t FDA approved for anything and I haven’t seen any long term studies.

Are you on RU?

I figure at 9 months my current situation isn’t going to get better. I want to stay on this regimen through June just so I can confirm if things get better it wasn’t because I added something else to my regimen. Maybe after I’ll throw in RU and it will give me time to do research
I keep switching from RU to CB but I honestly don’t know how I’m going to continue like this, my frontal loss is continuing very rapidly

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't stop.

You can add dermarolling, minoxidil, oral minoxidl and/or RU/CB, keto shampoo, maybe Scalpicin but that's about it.

Everything else is bullshit.

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
the front is where I really shed. The reason i look at it as a shed. the rate of hairloss was way more gradual. When I switched to 1 dutasteride a week (finasteride 6) is when it became way more rapid. TBH i dont think dutasteride (twice a week/fin5) is working. will give it a few more months.

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Are you on RU?

thats kind of where I am at. I have had dutasteride in my regime for roughly 8months. Only 4 months with 2x's a week (finasteride on off days).

I definitely felt the dutasteride in my system when i was just taking once a week (finasteride on off days). Also when I shed the first 6weeks it literally shed a part down my head. Front to back. That is seemingly gone so It is having some effect on me. just dont know what. Zero sides.