Dutasteride For Propecia Non Responder

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Effect of dutasteride 0.5 mg/d in men with androgenetic alopecia recalcitrant to finasteride.
Jung JY1, Yeon JH, Choi JW, Kwon SH, Kim BJ, Youn SW, Park KC, Huh CH.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Finasteride at a dose of 1 mg/d has been reported to show no significant improvement in 30-50% of patients with androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia). Dutasteride, a dual inhibitor of both type I and type II 5 alpha-reductase, inhibits the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, which is the key contributor of Androgenetic Alopecia.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:
Our aim is to evaluate clinical efficacy and tolerability of dutasteride in men with Androgenetic Alopecia who do not show clinical improvement to the conventional finasteride treatment. A total of 35 Korean men with Androgenetic Alopecia who had not shown significant clinical improvement when treated with finasteride 1 mg/d for at least six months received dutasteride at a dose of 0.5 mg/d for six months. Efficacy was evaluated by global photograph assessment and phototrichogram. Safety assessment was performed through physical examination and adverse event report.

RESULTS:
Of the 31 patients who completed the treatment, 24 patients (77.4%) were improved by the global photography (17 were slightly, six moderately, and one markedly improved) compared with the post-finasteride treatment. There was no significant change in seven patients (22.6%), and aggravation was not reported. Hair density and thickness significantly increased by 10.3% (87 ± 12-96 ± 12/cm(2)) and 18.9% (0.053 ± 0.012-0.063 ± 0.011 mm), respectively, in phototrichogram assessment. Side effects included transient sexual dysfunction in six patients (17.1%).

CONCLUSIONS:
Dutasteride is suggestive to be an alternative treatment option to patients with Androgenetic Alopecia who do not clinically respond to finasteride in six months.

© 2014 The International Society of Dermatology.

damn i want to try it , but still scared of the sides

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
oh my god just take it already

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"no significant improvement in 30-50%"
Thats more like it, i knew the guy who said FIna was awesome for 90% of users was smoking grandpas underwear.
oh my god just take it already
I have to agree, he want to eat but cannot stop smelling the food. Michel, get started on Duta asap before we have to come there and forcefeed you with avodart, your research period is well into "boring" already, youre overdoing it, now be a good boy and swallow your duta.

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"no significant improvement in 30-50%"
Thats more like it, i knew the guy who said FIna was awesome for 90% of users was smoking grandpas underwear.

I have to agree, he want to eat but cannot stop smelling the food. Michel, get started on Duta asap before we have to come there and forcefeed you with avodart, your research period is well into "boring" already, youre overdoing it, now be a good boy and swallow your duta.

Can you read? It says no significant improvement in 30-50% of men. Obviously not everyone is gonna get significant regrowth. That only means the 30-50% (who don't significantly improve) maintain their current hair or slightly improve/thicken. This leaves the less than 10% that continue to lose probably at a slower pace.

More improtantly, most people don't show signs of improvement until at least one full year on finasteride. Therefore, this study is invalid. The people who switched to dutasteride after 6 months of finasteride use in this study could have had the same results had they stuck with finasteride.

Last edited:

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Can you read? It says no significant improvement in 30-50% of men. Obviously not everyone is gonna get significant regrowth. That only means the 30-50% (who don't significantly improve) maintain their current hair or slightly improve/thicken. This leaves the less than 10% that continue to lose probably at a slower pace.

More improtantly, most people don't show signs of improvement until at least one full year on finasteride. Therefore, this study is invalid. The people who switched to dutasteride after 6 months of finasteride use in this study could have had the same results had they stuck with finasteride.

I'm not going to argue with you. But it feels like you want this to be the case so bad. Depending on your age (if you started to bald around 20), your hair loss is most likely no cured with finasteride. If you want to, make a thread and ask the guys who have used finasteride since their early 20's.
Like I've said, I think dutasteride is the way to go for early male pattern baldness. I would suggest to start out with finasteride first to see if you're a good responder though.

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Part of it is that I want it to be the case obviously. It has worked well for me and I don't want it to not work one day like you guys are claiming it does. I have seen many stories on other sites and even some from my dermatologist where people start taking finasteride at a young age, regrow some hair, and maintain it indefinitely for years.

Reading some of the posts on here actually gives me anxiety, but it is not reality for me because finasteride has worked so well. Maybe it is just because I started using it with basically a full head of hair. I just don't get it and it makes me worried about the future. Do you guys truly believe hair loss will progress with finasteride? I just don't get how you guys can say that with all of the studies saying otherwise.

For example, I just gathered these reviews from one website, there are plenty more out there but what do you have to say about these?:
- Have been taking proscar cut into quarters for 15 years. Started when i was 17 and noticing my hair juat beginning to thin and recede. I am now 32 and my hair is thicker and more abundant then when i started.

- For me personally, it has worked great with little to no known side effects. Have used it for about 18 years. Noticeably more hair and thicker over entire head. Receding hairline loss completely stopped. It has worked so well on me for so long that I'm afraid to stop using it.

- I have been taking this drug for the last 5 years now and it working great. I have a head full of hair and i feel like very confident about my looks.

- Started taking finasteride for hair-loss 4 years ago at the age of 22 when the balding became evident. My balding started in the crown area and moved it's way toward the temples, so I am/was a diffuse thinner. I was lucky enough to stop it in time and regrow virtually everything and more with this medication

- My hair loss stopped in it's tracks years ago from finasteride and it's looking like I'll have a full head of hair for many years to come. My dad and brother were bald by 30 and I started around 23.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Part of it is that I want it to be the case obviously. It has worked well for me and I don't want it to not work one day like you guys are claiming it does. I have seen many stories on other sites and even some from my dermatologist where people start taking finasteride at a young age, regrow some hair, and maintain it indefinitely for years.

Reading some of the posts on here actually gives me anxiety, but it is not reality for me because finasteride has worked so well. Maybe it is just because I started using it with basically a full head of hair. I just don't get it and it makes me worried about the future. Do you guys truly believe hair loss will progress with finasteride? I just don't get how you guys can say that with all of the studies saying otherwise.

For example, I just gathered these reviews from one website, there are plenty more out there but what do you have to say about these?:
- Have been taking proscar cut into quarters for 15 years. Started when i was 17 and noticing my hair juat beginning to thin and recede. I am now 32 and my hair is thicker and more abundant then when i started.

- For me personally, it has worked great with little to no known side effects. Have used it for about 18 years. Noticeably more hair and thicker over entire head. Receding hairline loss completely stopped. It has worked so well on me for so long that I'm afraid to stop using it.

- I have been taking this drug for the last 5 years now and it working great. I have a head full of hair and i feel like very confident about my looks.

- Started taking finasteride for hair-loss 4 years ago at the age of 22 when the balding became evident. My balding started in the crown area and moved it's way toward the temples, so I am/was a diffuse thinner. I was lucky enough to stop it in time and regrow virtually everything and more with this medication

- My hair loss stopped in it's tracks years ago from finasteride and it's looking like I'll have a full head of hair for many years to come. My dad and brother were bald by 30 and I started around 23.

I hope it works well for you. I'm not saying there are no long term results, obviously there is. But keep in mind that guys that used to read forums like this, with great results will come back to share their experince.
Those studies only mention the age span, we dont know at what age the men started finasteride. Might also be the guys who had great results that applied to the study. The guys who kept loisng hair after a couple of years and stoped the medication would obviously not apply.
It makes sense that finasteride wont work for life, your follicles get more sensitive to DHT with time. And you still have DHT in your body even with finasteride. With that said, I belive that finasteride will slow it down. And you'll be fine, if you have great results now, I think you're able to keep your hair past 30. I'm just tierd of reading post from guys who have used the drug for a couple of months and tell the new guys it's bullet proof.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
but if i am experiencing sides with fina there will be worst on duta ; that is a dillemna knowing it will cured my mb but giving me ED and gyno.

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I ever start losing ground on finasteride, I will consider getting on dutasteride if not a hair transplant. Unless of course Replicel, Shesheido, or another company comes through by that time.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
that sucks because i am losong ground on it , but sides are here so i hope the cure will be here in 2020