dutasteride + finasteride 2 month results (after 7 years finasteride and 2 years dutasteride

Tau Fat

Reaction score
My story and experiment for those who have waged the DHT wars for a long time:

I have been in the hair fight for about 14 years.

I took finasteride for about 7-8 years and then the effects on the hair decreased and I saw some thinning and loss of hair weight. I wrestled with the dutasteride idea for a while and was nervous about it, but in the end I realized that to many guys (including me and many on this board) feeling that your hair is OK or holding makes life a HELL of a lot better. Therefore, worth the risk. So I switched to dutasteride 0.5 per day for four months and it worked GREAT, but sides kicked in (never had any on finasteride) and the dutasteride sides were BAD: bloating/flushed face like rosacea/ higher blood pressure/ headaches: sort of a steroid/estrogen reaction). Had to stop.

I then tried dutasteride 0.5 every 3rd day for 2 years which actually
worked quite well and the sides went away too (Yeah!!). Recently I still felt I could improve a bit. I started two months ago with a new approach (the Combo meal).

I always liked finasteride because it had no sides for me except minor decrease in sex drive and reduced ejaculaion. dutasteride worked great and actually for me was a bit of a sex drive booster and had no neg effect on ejaculate volume...but at 0.5 per day caused me hormone tinkering sides. If I could take dutasteride every day I would but I cannot so I figure I can try some synergy.

So now I do finasteride 1.25 a day and one dutasteride 2 or 3 times a week as a booster. That is like finasteride 1.25 per day and dutasteride apprx 0.2 mg per day (on average).

After two months the consensus from me, my girlfriend and the hair stylist and another best buddy is that the mop is thickening up. No sides. I see a nice improvement in the key things we all look for(can you see through the hair under bright lights/sunlight/ the weight of the hair/pictures etc...

Now for those who say it makes no sense to combo as the two meds do the same thing...I think that is too simplistic. I can say that having taken them both that they do similar things (help hair) but also do different things to other hormones as well as what they do to DHT. For example finasteride made me have a slightly reduced sex drive and less ejaculate volume. dutasteride restricts more DHT than finasteride but dutasteride against the extrapolated assumption did not make that worse but actually made me hornier and no effect on ejaculate volume. Now my dutasteride counters any finasteride neg sex effects.

I have no idea why this all is, but perhaps finasteride's tinkering with hormones and dutasteride's are slightly or quite different and they may have a synergistic effect on hair growth (not just DHT suppression angle). My real point is this, you won't know till you try yourself how anything works for you. There is no absolute for what will work for who and how. With all due respect to the pundits and predictors, unless you have done it all yourself(finasteride, dutasteride every day, dutasteride every other day, finasteride + dutasteride) you can never accurately guess the results for yourself or the sides. If you are happy with the results then great..stick with it. If you think that you might do better on another plan-give it a shot (just don't do nothing). I figure better to tinker a little with these things that WORK than to sprinkle ten different peptides and dung extracts in a paste of arginine and ground up grapefruits on your mellon at night.

Best of luck to all[/b]

StoptheMadness

Established Member
Reaction score
How and where did you fet your avodart Rx?

You didn't quite say it but I think you felt you were getting to a point that you just couldn't accept and therefore to some risk by 1st taking dutasteride and then playing around with the timeline of the dosagas. Do you truthfully know that taking 120 dutasteride pills a year caused you significant improvement in 2 years?

bopper

Reaction score
Re: dutasteride + finasteride 2 month results (after 7 years finasteride and 2 years

I'm in a similar boat...took finasteride for 8-9 years and the male pattern baldness just took over so the finasteride seemed to not work anymore. Then this past October, dropped finasteride and started dutasteride at twice per week through December. By January, the hair really started to get a lot worse so I've cranked up my dutasteride dose to everyday and also added finasteride back into the mix. And like you, I know how everyone says you don't need both. But something Bryan said made me change my mind. On some site, he mentioned something like (dont quote me on that) it takes four months of taking dutasteride everyday for it to build up to normal levels in your body. So I'm just going to keep taking finasteride and dutasteride everyday for a few more months. Since I started back on finasteride and cranked my dutasteride dose, I "feel" like things have stablized, but who knows it's too early to tell. After a few more months on this regimen, I'll see where I'm at and decide what I'm going to do next.

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah i dont think finasteride and dutasteride are like exactly the same drug so i dont think you should completely stop finasteride for dutasteride as you have to build up a concentration of dutasteride over time in your body. so as you increase teh dutasteride in your body you can lower the finasteride unless you do the load dose (2.5mg dutasteride for 10 days then whatever regimen afterwards. .5mg daily or 3 times a week or once a week. its on the dutasteride dose chart.)

jc444

Established Member
Reaction score
Tau & bopper, yeah im in that boat too. 7 years on finasteride, it worked great for six, slowly my hairloss to a crawl, and then in the last year its increased, lost volume all over, hairline moving backwards quickly, pretty depressing really. So i have started adding dutasteride 3 times per week to go with my daily propecia. I've had no problems with this in terms of sides, but I guess its too early for results. Just wanted to say, I with you guys and hope things work out for you.

Actually, bopper, you have conviced me to start going dutasteride daily for the next month., then will ease back off to 3 x per week. Thanks for the tip.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am taking both finasteride and dutasteride. I am not going to risk my hair on indian generics. My finasteride is brand name Merck proscar that I get for free. My dutasteride is from inhousepharmacy.

Maybe all those people who have permanent dutasteride sheds had that because the dutasteride was fake......

jonny21

Reaction score
I think that I can go in that category too. Like Bopper and Tau, propecia worked wonders for my hair for about 8 years. Now my hair is really started to thin out and losing thickness. I think I'm gonna buy some dutasteride and keep up with my finasteride daily as well. So what do you guys think? dutasteride MWF, and propecia the other days? Also, Dutas or Genuine Avodart.

bopper

Reaction score
jonny21 said:
I think that I can go in that category too. Like Bopper and Tau, propecia worked wonders for my hair for about 8 years. Now my hair is really started to thin out and losing thickness. I think I'm gonna buy some dutasteride and keep up with my finasteride daily as well. So what do you guys think? dutasteride MWF, and propecia the other days? Also, Dutas or Genuine Avodart.

If you can afford it, I'd go with the avodart. There are a few stories here and there about people who had issues with the credibility of the generics. But who knows what to believe. And I'm taking dutasteride + finasteride five/six times per week. Still can't say whether there is any +/- effect yet, but I believe I still have less hair then when I started avodart in oct 06...however my existing hair seems to be stronger. But that difference could also from xandrox or trimcomin. I started xandrox, spironolactone, tricomin and dutasteride last October after just being on finasteride and minoxidil for a long time.

I've also seen a slight increase in libido since I started taking both dutasteride and finasteride. For the first few months on avodart my libido went down slightly..but now it seems as strong as it's been in a long time. Who knows...I also am not getting laid regularly anymore ;-)

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Interesting stories guys. You'd think taking finasteride. with dutasteride. would be redundant, however, for you guys it isn't. I wonder why?

I mean it, why would that be the case for some guys? Do you think it might be due to you guys not taking dutasteride. at 0.5mg per day (or whatever dose of dutasteride. your body requires)?

dutasteride. is such a powerful chemical that I just don't see how finasteride. could help unless you're not taking enough dutasteride. (i.e., enough dutasteride. for your system).

Guys, that chart Bryan posted shows five days of 0.5mg dutasteride. gets you past the finasteride. inhibition of 5AR enzymes doesn't it? Maybe I read that graph incorrectly?

And, dutasteride. at 0.5mg every other day, gets you to finasteride. "inhibition" levels in only 10 days, if I'm reading the chart correctly?

http://www.hairsite2.com/images/dutas_analysis.jpg

jonny21

Reaction score
That's an interesting point Old Baldy. dutasteride definately passes finasteride as far as being a stronger inhibitor of DHT, but I'm still curious about trying both together and I definately need a change in my regimen. I guess everyone's body chemistry is different and what might work for one guy, might not work for another guy. finasteride+minoxidil only worked wonders for me for 8 years. But now it's effects are diminishing. I think I'm gonna stay on the finasteride and take dutasteride 3X a week for about a month. Also, my Revita shampoo is on it's way, Rogaine foam in the AM and DNC in the PM. So we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Has anyone on here ever used pillsforall.com? They're selling Genuine Avodart for $65 shipped to US. That's only a little more than Dutas from inhousepharmacy.

odyssey

Reaction score
I just started on Dr. Reddy's dutasteride's 3 days ago (.5/per day), after 8 years on finasteride. I'm also considering a hair transplant in June. Should I wait longer than that for the dutasteride's to work, to avoid shock loss? And to see the results. Maybe I won't need a hair transplant after all, but I have to believe that I won't have to worry about that. I'm a Norwood 4...

Also, I think I'm going to continue the finasteride every day as well...At least for a month or so...

jonny21

Reaction score
I just bought one month of Dutas from inhouse pharmacy, and one month of "genuine" (hopefully) avodart from pillsforall.com. So hoping that it will work, now that I see a new thread on inhouse, I'm kinda pissed that I bought from them. Odyssey, I really think that you should give dutasteride at least 6 months to do it's thing. Alot of guys on here don't see results till then. You say you're a NW4, so why not give it a few extra months. You've got nothing to lose.

chowmein

Reaction score
I'm currently taking 0.5mg Avodart M/W/F
and using up my Propecia in halfs (0.5mg) on T/T/S/S (the dutasteride 'off' days)

My transition to dutasteride is taking approximately 1 & 1/2 months.

odyssey

Reaction score
I just started taking .5 dutasteride, and stopped the finasteride all together. Should we all rotate them? I was thinking of doing the dutasteride's everyday for the first month, and then rotating the finasteride in...Just so I wouldn't have so much of the dutasteride in my system....

I think its a crap shoot anyway....