Dutasteride Finally Goes into Phase III Trials **UPDATED**

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Due to some of the questions posted concerning the number of participants in the Phase III trial being lower than the norm of 1000-3000 as required by the FDA, I decided to give them a call and follow up.

First guy I spoke to must have been a former CIA agent. Every question I asked was responded with " its proprietary information". So I decided to call back and hopefully get someone a little more accomodating. Next guys I spoke to explained to me that since the drug being tested had already been approved safe for another indication, and the method of delivery was the same, then it is possible they would allow GSK to use a lesser number of men in the test, but could not elaborate on this since he did not have access to the file.

Since the listing on clinicaltrials.gov was put up by the NIH, I called them next. I asked if perhaps there had been a error in the number of men in the trial, maybe instead of 150 there were actually 1500. The woman told me it was possible but GSK usually was good about relaying the information. She told me she would email the person from GSK that issued the info to verify what she termed "target accrual", asked for my email address so that the drug company could email me directly. About 30 min later I get an email from this guy at GSK asking for a clarification of my concern. I emailed him back and waited. This was Monday. I emailed him again yesterday, but still no response.

You can make of it what you wish, it just seems highly suspicious that no one is getting back to me anymore. Was this a questionable move by the drug company or what?

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Well...it took a week to get a response, but the GSK rep finally got back to me. Seems the trial in Korea is termed their pilot trial. GSK is in the process of setting up similar trials at other centers to conicide with this one. So apparently it will encompass more than 150 participants, probably over 1000 which is the norm of Phase III.

H2O

Established Member
Reaction score
johnnyseville said:
Well...it took a week to get a response, but the GSK rep finally got back to me. Seems the trial in Korea is termed their pilot trial. GSK is in the process of setting up similar trials at other centers to conicide with this one. So apparently it will encompass more than 150 participants, probably over 1000 which is the norm of Phase III.

Thanks for going to the trouble to find out the info. Nice to hear we might get a legit Phase III trial after all. However we still have an issue of length of the trial (6 mos) but then again, many times these trials are extended if good results are seen and we might get longer term results after all. Again I suspect they wanted to go with the cheapest method of attaining Phase III approval and so 6 months would be a minimum to see some results that are useful and keep costs down....we'll see I suppose.