Dutasteride equivalent of finasteride 1mg?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Private Ryan said:
correct me if i am wrong. but from what i know, finasteride 5mg reduce type II by 70% right?

No, about 90%. You're probably thinking of serum DHT, which is lowered about 70% or so (give or take) by 5 mg of finasteride. But you have to keep in mind that DHT in the bloodstream comes from both the type 2 AND the type 1 enzymes (about 80% from type 2, and about 20% from type 1), so the percentage of DHT that finasteride lowers exclusively from the type 2 enzyme is more impressive than the overall percentage that it lowers it in the bloodstream. I hope you understand what I'm saying.

Bryan

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Private Ryan said:
correct me if i am wrong. but from what i know, finasteride 5mg reduce type II by 70% right?

No, about 90%. You're probably thinking of serum DHT, which is lowered about 70% or so (give or take) by 5 mg of finasteride. But you have to keep in mind that DHT in the bloodstream comes from both the type 2 AND the type 1 enzymes (about 80% from type 2, and about 20% from type 1), so the percentage of DHT that finasteride lowers exclusively from the type 2 enzyme is more impressive than the overall percentage that it lowers it in the bloodstream. I hope you understand what I'm saying.

Bryan

got it. thanks bryan.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Let's see, I am 3 days away from my complete 1-year of Avodart therapy. (Can you handle it? LoL)

In my opinion, I'm going to agree with Bryan on the matter that dutasteride steadily increases in your system-- I can say that the effects of my dutasteride are measurably more noticeable as I continue my treatment.

CCS

Reaction score
it should max out at 180 days, though different people have different metabolism rates.

desperateDavid

Reaction score
JayMan said:
well, felk, if dutasteride is giving no side effects, then why not just man up(no offense) and take dutasteride 0.5 mg every day. you will get more regrowth, much better maintenance, etc.

greetings JayMan, are Duts definately better than finasteride? I've been on 1.25 finasteride/day for just over 3 months now (my hairline is receeding at the temples (not too bad at the moment) because I couldnt get Duts b4 so i started on finasteride. I think my left temple is getting a little regrowth (f*****g magic!) but not so much on the right. These results are great to me as it looks like they're working. Can I expect BETTER results with dutasteride (as its frontal thinning). I've just received some from Evopharmacy and want to start them asap.

Anyones opion is appreciated.

Cheers