dutasteride eod

smirkey

Reaction score
i have read on other forums of people taking dutas every other day:and propecia on the off- days
1 would this have any benifit to people only able to take dutas eod due to sides,and secondly would it do you any harm ??

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
If you're going to do this it makes more sense to still take Propecia everyday. Dutasteride takes a very long time to eliminate from the body (months). Propecia is eliminated in a much shorter time. If you alternated taking Propecia, the levels of Propecia would yo-yo, while the Dutasteride would remain relatively constant. If you're going to combine them (and I'm not saying you should), then you want blood levels of both to be relatively constant.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
paximperia said:
If you alternated taking Propecia, the levels of Propecia would yo-yo...

Blood levels of finasteride yo-yo up and down even when you take Propecia EVERY SINGLE DAY, and yet blood levels of DHT still stay relatively level. Do you understand why that is?

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
Because .2mg of Finasteride blocks a similar amount of DHT as 1mg of Finasteride. Similarly, 5mg Finasteride blocks a similar amount of DHT as 1mg Finasteride. Finasteride cannot block more than about 70% DHT reguardless of how much you take, so in most people (and there is always some variation) 1mg provides the about same protection as 5mg when taken once daily.

There is a limit to that of course. .01mg of Finasteride is not anywhere near equivalent to .2mg Finasteride.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
paximperia said:
Because .2mg of Finasteride blocks a similar amount of DHT as 1mg of Finasteride.

No, that's not the answer. Whether you take 0.2 mg/day or 1 mg/day, blood levels of the drug fluctuate wildly up and down over the course of a day. I think a good general rule-of-thumb to use is that however much of the drug you take, 24 hours later (just prior to the next dose), the level in your blood will have dropped to about 1/10 what it was at its peak (probably even less than that in you younger guys, on average, but it's easier to remember that number).

I'll go ahead and explain to you what I'm getting at: the reason why serum DHT levels take several days to get back to "normal" after the last dose of finasteride (despite the fact that blood levels of the drug drop so fast) and why DHT levels stay relatively consistent throughout the day with daily use of the drug is because the regeneration rate of the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme is so slow! Once finasteride binds with a molecule of the enzyme, that molecule is essentially destroyed, and it takes a while for new, "fresh" enzyme molecules to be manufactured within the cell. The slow production rate of the enzyme is more important in this case than the half-life of finasteride itself.