Dutasteride - Does It Work? How Was Your Experience?

How was your experience with Dutasteride?

• Maintenance

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Regrowth

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Maintenance + Regrowth

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Nothing

Votes: 15 42.9%

• Total voters

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
An upregulation of AR doesn't seem that weird though.
I get that. But I was prescribed by one of the better derms in Los angeles. The program I am on isnt nuts. I have been a patient of his for 5 years. 15+ yrs of his previous MD partner.

I get everyone is a different animal. It just seems weird that a pill designed to block/hinder the chemicals in your body that cause baldness would in fact cause baldness, outside of a shed.

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I get that. But I was prescribed by one of the better derms in Los angeles. The program I am on isnt nuts. I have been a patient of his for 5 years. 15+ yrs of his previous MD partner.

I get everyone is a different animal. It just seems weird that a pill designed to block/hinder the chemicals in your body that cause baldness would in fact cause baldness, outside of a shed.
You do know that not only DHT contributes to balding....right ??

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You do know that not only DHT contributes to balding....right ??
I know that its a primary one. But thats not the point. Stifling DHT shouldnt cause a speed up of hairloss. Thats what I am reading. There are many factors in hair loss.

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know that its a primary one. But thats not the point. Stifling DHT shouldnt cause a speed up of hairloss. Thats what I am reading. There are many factors in hair loss.
Stifling DHT can cause AR upregulation (alot of times actually) + T can increase anywhere from 15% to 80% depending on how much of it was converting to DHT. These 2 together, can continue the balding process where DHT left off. You just have to pray you'll be lucky to not cause such an aggressive phenomenon. I had to resort to freaking CPA to stop what was happening with me on dutasteride.

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stifling DHT can cause AR upregulation (alot of times actually) + T can increase anywhere from 15% to 80% depending on how much of it was converting to DHT. These 2 together, can continue the balding process where DHT left off. You just have to pray you'll be lucky to not cause such an aggressive phenomenon. I had to resort to freaking CPA to stop what was happening with me on dutasteride.
i get it. this is it for me. If dutasteride doesnt work, which could be the case i wont take any more steps. When i noticed finasteride starting to lose effectiveness I contemplated just weaning off finasteride. My derm suggested giving dutasteride a try. he says hes had really good results with other patients.

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i get it. this is it for me. If dutasteride doesnt work, which could be the case i wont take any more steps. When i noticed finasteride starting to lose effectiveness I contemplated just weaning off finasteride. My derm suggested giving dutasteride a try. he says hes had really good results with other patients.
Add minoxidil with dutasteride. Don't just rely on one medication.

Hugh mellor

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride did f*ck all for me but 8 months on dutasteride gave me hair like I was 15 but my god the sides were bad...
Brain fog probably the worst, felt like I had brain damage, forgot basic words, couldn't put together an arguement. Definitely would rather be bald than that. Luckily I recovered as opposed to those poor schmucks on propeciahelp. Be careful fellas, and defo take a few weeks off after maybe 6 months on it just to reevaluate how you feel.

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride did f*ck all for me but 8 months on dutasteride gave me hair like I was 15 but my god the sides were bad...
Brain fog probably the worst, felt like I had brain damage, forgot basic words, couldn't put together an arguement. Definitely would rather be bald than that. Luckily I recovered as opposed to those poor schmucks on propeciahelp. Be careful fellas, and defo take a few weeks off after maybe 6 months on it just to reevaluate how you feel.
what was your routine

Hugh mellor

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did finasteride for about 2 years 1mg a day, didnt stop me losing quite abit of density. Moved over to dutasteride everyday 0.5mg and got sexual sides after two months which I could live with but then brain fog came on after 8 months which was unbearable.
I have saw your routine which I think could probably work to be honest and I might move onto it if I feel my hair will get worse but for right now I'm done with oral anti androgens and my hair loss is pretty stable.
I was one of them people who didnt really believe all those post finasteride syndrome users because thought they were just being soft. But having a glimpse of what they go they go through (for roughly a month in my experience) I can thoroughly say that dht certainly does do some good things for the mind.

XSuburbiaX

My Regimen
Reaction score
You could block all DHT you want it maybe not stopping your hair loss in a lot of cases. The health of the scalp and the inflammation are so important, a lot of people are ignoring it.

I personally continued loosing 2 years with minoxidil and finasteride. I finally stopping my hair loss since I added :

- A good shampoo (Biotin help me crazy, Keto made me shed non stop)
- Microneedling
- Supplements (vitamines, anti inflammatory).

My itch is gone and my scalp so much better.

Dutasteride don't work properly if other parameters are not fulfilled

Last edited:

NSix

Established Member
Reaction score
To be honest, dutasteride is designed for BPH, not approved for hairloss. Using it for hairloss is off label and you are kinda embarking on an unknown journey really. It is more potent than finasteride, so one would assume that it is more effective at hair growth (which in most cases, it is), but the fact that it inhibits all forms of 5AR types, can have many drawbacks.

Finasteride was designed for BPH as well.

It was only by accident did Merck discover it helped maintain hair.

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You could block all DHT you want it maybe not stopping your hair loss in a lot of cases. The health of the scalp and the inflammation are so important, a lot of people are ignoring it.

I personally continued loosing 2 years with minoxidil and finasteride. I finally stopping my hair loss since I added :

- A good shampoo (Biotin help me crazy, Keto made me shed non stop)
- Microneedling
- Supplements (vitamines, anti inflammatory).

My itch is gone and my scalp so much better.

Dutasteride don't work properly if other parameters are not fulfilled
I agree with this. What supplements do you use for inflammation? I’ve been on finasteride and then dutasteride for 20 months and have lost tremendous amounts of hair. I believe I have chronic inflammation on my scalp.

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
8months total that dutasteride has been part of my finasteride program. finasteride worked well for 20+yrs added dutasteride 8months ago

1st 4 months - 1 dutasteride + 6 finasteride = massive shed for first 6weeks no regrowth
last 4 months - 2 duts + 5 finasteride = No regrowth still feel like i am losing.

I added dutasteride initially because finasteride started to lose effect.

Will adding a 3rd dutasteride help?

Should i give current more time?

i was told shedding was good because it meant it was pushing bad out. however it has yet to be replaced.

please advise.

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve just realised that I helped you here a few weeks ago... I think you need to re-evaluate why you are using this forum
so you went from dutasteride to finasteride because of front loss. then back to dutasteride? If this has been your pattern (i could have read it wrong) why go back on dutasteride if its been so bad for you?

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long did you take dutas ? Arent you taking it anymore ?

im almost 2 months , 0,5mg Ed, there is more thickness everywhere, even the sides are moving forward, but the hairline and temples are ruined.
i will stick with the treatment, not sure if its a shedding or the front is so sensitive to the increase of testosterone.
I've just realised that I helped you here a few weeks ago and then yesterday you threw that back in my face... I think you need to re-evaulate why you are using this forum

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so you went from dutasteride to finasteride because of front loss. then back to dutasteride? If this has been your pattern (i could have read it wrong) why go back on dutasteride if its been so bad for you?
Nope, I started dutasteride because finasteride seemed to be waning. However in just over a month hair started returning at the back. I thought this was too soon to be seeing results from dutasteride so assumed it had just been a shed from propecia but i was wrong. Then i shed horribly 3 months after quitting dutasteride. I realised my mistake and went back to dutasteride after this. dutasteride is definitely better than finasteride but only really noticebly so at the back

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, it definitely works. I started taking Avodart a week ago and I'm already seeing results: shedding has improved, hair looks thicker and so much healthier. No side effects yet but I have to confess I'm a bit worried. Supplements and minoxidil didn't do sh** for me but everyone is different, I guess.

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s amazing how many users are switching to Dutasteride if you do a quick search in the forum.

I also did the switch two weeks ago, hope it works as well as Finasteride worked for me...
How did Dutasteride work for you? Curious to hear from someone several years in