Dutasteride - Does It Work? How Was Your Experience?

How was your experience with Dutasteride?

• Maintenance

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Regrowth

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Maintenance + Regrowth

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Nothing

Votes: 15 42.9%

• Total voters

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
for me, I started 1 day a week (6in) to 2 days a week (5Fin). Zero sides ever from now and 20+ years of finasteride. What do you think a realistic time frame is to see results (if any from dutasteride. 2 days a week/5fin). I definitely feel it my system.
I honestly think if you haven’t seen results in 6 months then they are unlikely to come. My results at the back were apparent at 3 months. The front is ruined though. There’s all this talk of waiting a year for the frontal ‘shed’ to come back but seriously, if I waited a year there’ll be nothing left

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I honestly think if you haven’t seen results in 6 months then they are unlikely to come. My results at the back were apparent at 3 months. The front is ruined though. There’s all this talk of waiting a year for the frontal ‘shed’ to come back but seriously, if I waited a year there’ll be nothing left
When I initially shed first six weeks, it literally shed a part down the middle of my head front to back. That was on 1Dut a week. Since taking 2duts that "part" for the most part is gone (grown in). The back/crown seem fine. So i cant say i havent seen anything. Its the unit between very front that connects to middle. We shall see. Only been on 2duts a week for 4months. If it doesnt work i was losing ground after 20+ years on a great run with finasteride. No one looks at me as is and says "wow, hes got a great head of hair". I look like im receding. Always have since 24. finasteride just slowed it waaaaay down. I just need a little help maintaining and hopefully growing a little density in that connecting portion . I wont up dosage. wont add another pill or start a topical routine. Its this or nothing.

Wisemiller

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As your poll results clearly state, dutasteride will not stop hair loss for most people. Perhaps if someone is very young, they may slow down their hair loss. There is no such thing as a drug that reliably has any affect on male pattern baldness.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As your poll results clearly state, dutasteride will not stop hair loss for most people. Perhaps if someone is very young, they may slow down their hair loss. There is no such thing as a drug that reliably has any affect on male pattern baldness.
I think this is a little defeatist. The big three stopped my male pattern baldness for 9 years, I maintained an incredibly thick head of hair. The same since I was a teen. It’s just that we need to be prepared for when the drugs inevitably fail. If that’s preparation to up the dosage or switch to stronger drugs, or addressing a new mechanism

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score

How long did you take dutas ? Arent you taking it anymore ?

im almost 2 months , 0,5mg Ed, there is more thickness everywhere, even the sides are moving forward, but the hairline and temples are ruined.
i will stick with the treatment, not sure if its a shedding or the front is so sensitive to the increase of testosterone.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score

I think something like duta along with an AA like cpa would definitely halt baldness for 100% of people, i think dutasteride on it's own won't though in the the very long term, but by then hopefully new treatments will be out. But i guess those genetically flawed with no 5ar never go bald either so im not sure.

Last edited:

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long did you take dutas ? Arent you taking it anymore ?

im almost 2 months , 0,5mg Ed, there is more thickness everywhere, even the sides are moving forward, but the hairline and temples are ruined.
i will stick with the treatment, not sure if its a shedding or the front is so sensitive to the increase of testosterone.
This is a common theme- yes I’m still on dutasteride. I think that the hair at the back is probably benefitting from the dramatic reduction in DHT but dutasteride is basically only as good as finasteride at the front- perhaps because damage to the front is more related to T. It’s really not a shed- I believed this for way too long. It certainly didn’t come back for me. Try CB or RU for the front, you might slow things down

Last edited:

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think something like duta along with an AA like cpa would definitely halt baldness for 100% of people, i think dutasteride on it's own won't though in the the very long term, but by then hopefully new treatments will be out. But i guess those genetically flawed with no 5ar never go bald either so im not sure.
Hey Derelict- what is CPA and have you used it? I’m struggling with which AA to use currently. RU seems to have an effect but it scares me so trying to switch to a reliably powerful AA. I have been using CB but can’t find a consensus on the required dosage to halt balding as it’s definitely weaker. It’s also crazy expensive. If CPA is cheaper/ safer/ more effective than RU/ CB I’d be content to keep going with that

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Started dutasteride last year. AR upregulation occurred, lasted for 6 months until i introduced Accutane for the inflammations and sebum. I do believe that finasteride/dutasteride can massively effect AR sensitivity and upregulate them way longer than anticipated. My hair on dutasteride was mantained with minimal regrowth, the only thing that was killing it was the return of sebum/scalp acne even after the Accutane course was over. That's when i started CPA and im back better than ever.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Started dutasteride last year. AR upregulation occurred, lasted for 6 months until i introduced Accutane for the inflammations and sebum. I do believe that finasteride/dutasteride can massively effect AR sensitivity and upregulate them way longer than anticipated. My hair on dutasteride was mantained with minimal regrowth, the only thing that was killing it was the return of sebum/scalp acne even after the Accutane course was over. That's when i started CPA and im back better than ever.

CPA sounds good- where do you get it?

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
CPA sounds good- where do you get it?
I don't think you have adequate info about CPA (Cyproterone Acetate) yet. Let me first tell you that this drug is not safe in the long term, it causes multitudes of side effects ranging anywhere from fatigue, insomnia, loss of sperm/erections and shortness of breath to liver toxicity and brain tumours. The whole purpose of CPA is to shut down your sex hormone levels (Testosterone and Estradiol), it is used exclusively in prostate cancer and as a regimen in transexual women. If you wish to still have adequate sexual health and libido, look else where.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think you have adequate info about CPA (Cyproterone Acetate) yet. Let me first tell you that this drug is not safe in the long term, it causes multitudes of side effects ranging anywhere from fatigue, insomnia, loss of sperm/erections and shortness of breath to liver toxicity and brain tumours. The whole purpose of CPA is to shut down your sex hormone levels (Testosterone and Estradiol), it is used exclusively in prostate cancer and as a regimen in transexual women. If you wish to still have adequate sexual health and libido, look else where.

Yeah cpa in the long term is bad for your health, i was just giving an example of a regimen that would work, but it's not safe to use over an extended period really.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh right, might give that a miss. I’m considering Oh-Flut, a few people have mentioned this but nothing conclusive. If I can get the CB dosage correct then I’ll just stick with that. Has anyone had success on 50mg per day in 1ml stemoxidine? That’s what I’m trying at the moment. I was using 50mg RU in 1ml and that definitely helped

Father_of_Shiseido

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my experience, dutasteride worked better than finasteride. However, after a point dutasteride became ineffective. spironolactone has been working for me and gave me some regrowth but it has a lot of side effects. Not worth for hair.

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
it seems odd that a pill designed to stop the things that cause hairloss would actually make it worse. Re: dutasteride.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my experience, dutasteride worked better than finasteride. However, after a point dutasteride became ineffective. spironolactone has been working for me and gave me some regrowth but it has a lot of side effects. Not worth for hair.
What kind of side effects are we talking? I think I could cope with quite a lot if it stopped me losing hair

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
it seems odd that a pill designed to stop the things that cause hairloss would actually make it worse. Re: dutasteride.
To be honest, dutasteride is designed for BPH, not approved for hairloss. Using it for hairloss is off label and you are kinda embarking on an unknown journey really. It is more potent than finasteride, so one would assume that it is more effective at hair growth (which in most cases, it is), but the fact that it inhibits all forms of 5AR types, can have many drawbacks.

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest, dutasteride is designed for BPH, not approved for hairloss. Using it for hairloss is off label and you are kinda embarking on an unknown journey really. It is more potent than finasteride, so one would assume that it is more effective at hair growth (which in most cases, it is), but the fact that it inhibits all forms of 5AR types, can have many drawbacks.
I understand the drawbacks, but losing hair because of it is what seems odd. i get shedding but anything beyond that seems weird.