dutasteride/avodart & Telogen Effluvium

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
We all know most people go through a shed after innitiating a hairloss treatment like finasteride and dutasteride. I have myself while on dutasteride, and it lasted 3 months. That was within the first 12 months I was on dutasteride.

Month 14 (this february) I increased my dose from 0.5 mg 3x/wk to 0.5 mg/wk -I switched from generic to brandname Avodart and I experienced another shed, and it has been shedding to this date which makes it 6 months. But this shed is different, it sheds from all over my head including back and sides, and it's thinned my scalp big time!

I emailed dr. lee and he said to stop avodart immediately and get on Xandrox and spironolactone, that's all. He said I was experiencing telogen effluvium (which I agree with). But what I don't agree with is that Xandrox and spironolactone alone be enough for anyone without finasteride/dutasteride.

Knowing Telogen Effluvium is reversible on its own, is it ONLY reversable if I stop my avodart? Or can I continue to use Avodart and the hairs I lost on Telogen Effluvium will grow on their own?

If I get off avodart and get on propecia and minoxidil will i regrow all that I've lost on avodart?

I'm confused as to whether or not I must get off Avodart. Please give me your input fellas.

Current Regimen: Avodart 0.5 mg/daily + Niz2% 3x/wk

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
50 views, no reply? :dunno:

KeyserSoza

Established Member
Reaction score
I was on dutas and rogaine for ages with no results. I started xandrox 15% plus and kept up with dutas 035mg. Dr Lee told me the same thing. I stayed on both for 8 months and continued massive losing hair. I stopped and after a few months all my hair i had ever lost grew back. Now its going again so i say screw it stay on dutasteride and get on xandrox and ride out the horrible horrible sheds, it gets bad, so bad but my god the results! I never stopped taked dutasteride but stopped xandrox and went back to rogaine because of the losses. But it clearly was working and Im going back on the xandrox.

nickypoos

Established Member
Reaction score
What type of thinner are you? diffuse?
I take brand name Avodat 0.5mg/daily and about 5 months in nearly,I havn't experienced a shed at all. When did yours start?

KeyserSoza

Established Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, as my message seemed all over the place.

I was foam and dutasteride but still losing, switched out the foam to xandrox 15 plus. Nothing at first but then just big losses, massive sheds. It continued for eight months. Contacted Dr Lee who said get off dutasteride as its unproven long term but stay on xandrox as any hair you lose will come back. I lost so much i couldnt handle it and stopped the xandrox and went back to foam.
2 months after this my hair growth just exploded. Now I was shaving my hair short and its weird cause i never really realised it was regrowing until i just woke up one day and could do my hair like i used to and I was like wow where did this come from and people started commenting.

It was the xandrox, i know because nothing has worked before and since i stopped using it my hair is going again, only much slowly and im still really ahppy with it. So stay on both I think but prepare yourself for 1 year of hell. OR maybe you have to stop xandrox after a while so your hair can recover from the sheds. I know that goes against what we read but it certainly regrew my hair.

Was losing at the temples and then the crown, not diffuse.

argh_o

My Regimen
Reaction score
We all know most people go through a shed after innitiating a hairloss treatment like finasteride and dutasteride. I have myself while on dutasteride, and it lasted 3 months. That was within the first 12 months I was on dutasteride.

Month 14 (this february) I increased my dose from 0.5 mg 3x/wk to 0.5 mg/wk -I switched from generic to brandname Avodart and I experienced another shed, and it has been shedding to this date which makes it 6 months. But this shed is different, it sheds from all over my head including back and sides, and it's thinned my scalp big time!

I emailed dr. lee and he said to stop avodart immediately and get on Xandrox and spironolactone, that's all. He said I was experiencing telogen effluvium (which I agree with). But what I don't agree with is that Xandrox and spironolactone alone be enough for anyone without finasteride/dutasteride.

Knowing Telogen Effluvium is reversible on its own, is it ONLY reversable if I stop my avodart? Or can I continue to use Avodart and the hairs I lost on Telogen Effluvium will grow on their own?

If I get off avodart and get on propecia and minoxidil will i regrow all that I've lost on avodart?

I'm confused as to whether or not I must get off Avodart. Please give me your input fellas.

Current Regimen: Avodart 0.5 mg/daily + Niz2% 3x/wk

i know it is a really old post, but i am going through same problem... I'm taking duta for 6 months and I'm shedding hair from all over the head(back,side,top and also body hair) i don't know if it will ever stop.

so what happened to you **Einstein**?

*did u stopped shedding atleast from the back of the head?

did u find what caused the shedding??

how is your current condition??

should I switch to finastride??

please give me a reply. I'm too much stressed