Dutasteride and the dreaed ED - I'd appreciate some advice

James Beeston

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello All,

Hope you are safe.

I'd really appreciate some advice on the use of branded Dutasteride (Avodart) and the side effects of Erectile Dysfunction.

Before I go into the real detail here's a brief history of my regime / lifestyle:

0.5mg Duta - daily (for the past 8 months)
5% minoxidil for several years
Dermaroll 1mm needle - once weekly
Nizoril shampoo twice weekly
Viviscal Pro supplements (started these about a month ago).
41 year old male - Caucasian
Low BMI
Fit and healthy, regular exercise
Non-smoker / light drinker.

I also had 2,000 grant FUE transplant around 2 years ago to build out my hairline.

As stated above, I started Avodart 8 months ago to combat my the balding on my crown where I'd say I'm a type 4 norwood scale.

I've gone through 2 major shedding stages on Avodart, in month 2 and month 7, which doesn't concern me a great deal as I'm aware this is part of the journey.

My real concern with Avodart is the impact it has had on me sexually:

Decreased libido
Can not get an erection without physical stimulation
Less sperm upon ejaculation

I have started to use Sildenafil to try and combat this and it does work to a point, but I'm just at the point where I am considering ditching the Avodart because of the impact it is having on me sexually. I don't want to be relying on Sildenafil as a method of getting an erection.

I live in the UK so when we can travel internationally (hopefully June / July time), I will be booking in for a FUE transplant in Turkey to add some density to my crown.

I am awaiting the results of a private blood test to see if there are any other issues causing the ED, this includes a follow up phone call with a consultant.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or guidance? If i were to kick the Avodart, do i just drop this from my regime or should i replace it with something else? I'm at a loss as to what i should do next?

Thanks all!

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Decreased libido
Can not get an erection without physical stimulation
Less sperm upon ejaculation

All people taking finasteride and dutasteride should eventually expect to get those sides. They’re not rare. Permanent sides are
more rare but what you are experiencing has to be expected(eventually). How much DHT did you inhibit? Yeah, that much.

I am considering ditching the Avodart because of the impact it is having on me sexually.
I’ve read countless times how a guy prefers his hair to proper sexual function. Then he get sides.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or guidance?
Yeah, quit. I can’t suggest what else to use but I’m sure others will. Many other users will suggest riding out the sides and bla bla bla. Don’t do that.

Good luck!

James Beeston

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve read countless times how a guy prefers his hair to proper sexual function. Then he get sides.
Thanks for the advice Jeju, as i'm lining up another Hair transplant in June / July i really value the use of my penis alot more.

With regards to riding the side effects out, surely 8-9 months would have been a long enough time period to ride it out.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
While I’m here I’ll just cover some of the pro finasteride/dutasteride responses.

1. You’re 41 years old so your libido has naturally dropped.
2. It’s all in your head.
3. That isn’t ED. Only teenagers get spontaneous boners lol
4. You’re depressed because you’re balding so that’s the cause.
5. Any more?

michaelle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
While I’m here I’ll just cover some of the pro finasteride/dutasteride responses.

1. You’re 41 years old so your libido has naturally dropped.
2. It’s all in your head.
3. That isn’t ED. Only teenagers get spontaneous boners lol
4. You’re depressed because you’re balding so that’s the cause.
5. Any more?

I agree with this... It is often just in your head, and you need to figure it out and find the real cause of your issues. You should talk to your Doctor and see what he says... Also, check out the Canadian pharmacy here for some info about your ED and how to deal with it... I am pretty sure that you will find it interestind and working. I often use it too, and I like it so much, I have to say!

Last edited: