Dutasteride And Possible Liver Damage?

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've not been on here in YEARS... but to cut a long story short I had good results on dutasteride and took it for several years, then came off it for a couple of years (wanted kids, didn't fancy conceiving whilst it was in my system).

Went on finasteride for a couple of years, didn't see any gains like with dutasteride but managed to retain what I had up top. Then went back on dutasteride for a couple more years.

Over the last probably two years of being on dutasteride I was super lethargic all the time, so much so I went to the docs and asked for it to be investigated, they did some basic bloods but nothing showed up. Then a year later (so about Nov last year) I got quite ill with a lung infection that they couldn't diagnose, had loads of blood tests and my liver count came back SUPER high!!!

I'd also over the dutasteride taking period had an uncomfortable feeling under my right ribs... Doctor said this could be my liver and upon doing some research I found some basic and small sample research done on dutasteride and the liver, which suggested it could be quite harmful. The feeling under my ribs also is a sign of Non Fatty Liver Disease!

I've stopped taking dutasteride for the last few months and that feeling under my ribs has pretty much gone.

I'm not trying to scaremonger with this post, just as it's not something I'd read before I wanted to just mention that if anyone has that feeling you might want to get your liver checked out, and maybe stop taking dutasteride.

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, i have read something about it also a while ago, and it seems that especially dutasteride being more potent has this possibility. Everybody has the information online it's not like it's private or something but everybody believes what suits their mindset if you know what i mean... Any drug "attacks" your liver in a way or the other, it's where it's processed, they are chemicals compounded in a lab, even foods can damage it what people expect from drugs, alcohol etc...

Hope you get better and you should see if you can try to be as healthy as you can, exercise, eat healthy, get enough sleep, you know the drill... And i think you made a good decision to tell others also, even if the mentally ill gang will for sure come and tell you that it's from something else or most probably just in your head lmao...

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i have read something about it also a while ago, and it seems that especially dutasteride being more potent has this possibility. Everybody has the information online it's not like it's private or something but everybody believes what suits their mindset if you know what i mean... Any drug "attacks" your liver in a way or the other, it's where it's processed, they are chemicals compounded in a lab, even foods can damage it what people expect from drugs, alcohol etc...

Hope you get better and you should see if you can try to be as healthy as you can, exercise, eat healthy, get enough sleep, you know the drill... And i think you made a good decision to tell others also, even if the mentally ill gang will for sure come and tell you that it's from something else or most probably just in your head lmao...

Yes it's definitely something for people to watch out for... maybe everyone else is fine, but wanted to post this in case anyone else has that sort of dull ache, odd feeling under their right side ribs, because if they do it's possible dutasteride is causing liver issues.

I'm feeling much better thanks, if I concentrate really hard I can still feel it a bit under my ribs but not much, and that might just be because I'm trying to feel for it too, you can convince your brain of anything if you try hard enough haha!

I stopped taking any DHT inhibitors, no minoxidil, just going with what nature intended right now as rubbish as that is! I'm also on medication for migraines now (started after the liver issue) so don't want to add anything in to that mix and overload my liver.

Because Covid-19 hit my doctors aren't doing any bloods that aren't urgent, so I was supposed to go back and have more done to compare against the last round, but that's not happened... so not sure how my liver function is now and whether it's normal again, but it's been two months or so since I stopped dutasteride and so I'm hoping any damage I was doing is slowly repairing itself!