Dutasteride 6 months shed hairs

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm into my six months of brand name avodart and almost all of the hairs I'm seeing are nice and normally pigmented and then about a half an inch from the root bulb it becomes really light and thinner. One of them I just saw was literally a black hair and then straight up turned blonde half an inch away.

I don't know if that is normal catagen to telogen or if I'm short cycling and just not beating Hairloss lol. I mean, I get zero sides from avodart so I'm just lost at the moment. I have a supply of dutasteride powder that I'm thinking of going into to make up 2.5 mg caps and take a higher dosage, but it's hard to believe .5mg isn't working because it is always spoken about as being extremely powerful.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Ziggy,
Sorry to hear about this man. I know your struggle. It seems for certain people, there is no damn solution and it's infuriating and frustrating. I am 2 months into dutasteride and every hair I shed is the same length, 1.5"... while I keep my hair at about 4 inches. I have no idea what any of this means. Is it possible that your hair is growing normally, then all of a sudden, something is affecting the follicle to the point where it continues to grow, however, just weaker and less pigmented, before it falls out?? idk.. who the hell knows anymore man. Have you considered trying RU?

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Buckthorn,

Yeah I'm with you bro. Idk anymore on finasteride I had some crazy reflex which made my scalp crazy oily and then minoxidil use just pushed it over the edge and gave me full blown seb. Derm. Topicals and my scalp just don't mix so RU was not on my list of treatments. I was trying to just save my current hair/thicken it with dutasteride, but idk if that's a possibility now. Then I was going to transplant a better V hairline that was conservative for later years and live my damn life.

In your case, it is possible that those hairs are shedding and will keep cycling until they come back to where they would be under little to no DHT exposure. Def stay on til six months and reevaluate then. I believe it takes about six months for the hairs to sort of get back on track and then the months after should be regrowth and thickening. It's sort of clear in nickypoos story and makes sense scientifically as well.

Hair36123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Buckthorn,

Yeah I'm with you bro. Idk anymore on finasteride I had some crazy reflex which made my scalp crazy oily and then minoxidil use just pushed it over the edge and gave me full blown seb. Derm. Topicals and my scalp just don't mix so RU was not on my list of treatments. I was trying to just save my current hair/thicken it with dutasteride, but idk if that's a possibility now. Then I was going to transplant a better V hairline that was conservative for later years and live my damn life.

In your case, it is possible that those hairs are shedding and will keep cycling until they come back to where they would be under little to no DHT exposure. Def stay on til six months and reevaluate then. I believe it takes about six months for the hairs to sort of get back on track and then the months after should be regrowth and thickening. It's sort of clear in nickypoos story and makes sense scientifically as well.
Buckthorn,

I have been using finasteride for 1 month. My hair is very oily and falling out. What should I do?