DUPA VS Retrograde Alopecia?

danielx111

Reaction score
Hello guys,

No matter how much I have read online now, it seems that every article say that DUPA = Thinning hair at sides\ back

And Retrograde Alopecia means the same.

The reason I ask this is because I'm wearing hair system, I have noticed that I shed a lot at my sides and back, every shower over 40 hairs.

I'm already bald at the top, so i just have sides and back now.

I wonder, am I going to lose that hair too? I'm going to be 100% bald there like the top or hair still will stay there to blend with the system?

I'm so worried, I have never seen bald people with no sides hair, that's the reason I ask this.

Waiting for your response,

Thank you!

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys,

No matter how much I have read online now, it seems that every article say that DUPA = Thinning hair at sides\ back

And Retrograde Alopecia means the same.

The reason I ask this is because I'm wearing hair system, I have noticed that I shed a lot at my sides and back, every shower over 40 hairs.

I'm already bald at the top, so i just have sides and back now.

I wonder, am I going to lose that hair too? I'm going to be 100% bald there like the top or hair still will stay there to blend with the system?

I'm so worried, I have never seen bald people with no sides hair, that's the reason I ask this.

Waiting for your response,

Thank you!
My dermatologist told me that DUPA is an all encompassing term for things that cause loss on the sides and back, including things like ferratin levels, thyroid disease, or an array of other things. A DUPA suffer may never determine what is causing their hair loss. It seems as though its just a lazy word to describe an underlying problem. Retrograde alopecia appears to be a clear cut case of genetic loss at the back/nape and the sides. Retrograde suffers can sometimes end up keeping much of their donor hair and just experience significant thinning. The dermatologist may just be backwards on this though. The only true way to know is by asking O'tar Norwood or perhaps Dr. Bernstein. I was afraid I had one of these conditions but it turned out to be chronic telogen effluvium. You may just be having a bout of Telogen Effluvium as well.

danielx111

Reaction score
Hey man, thank you so much for your fast reply, your awesome!

What is that "Telogen Effluvium"?

When I look at my father head which he is bald at the top for over 25 years, i can tell that his nap is thin and also the sides are thin, but there are still hair remaining there.

The reason I'm so worried is beacause I wear hair system, i attached a photo so you can see, i have no hair at the top, im scared to lose my sides and be 100% bald there, if it just thinner, i don't mind, i can apply Toppik which i did on the top of my head for over 7 years so apply some at the sides won't matter for me in the future haha

I just scared to lose the entire hair there.

This is me with the hair system now days :

http://i.imgur.com/2hW8vEp.jpg

Since I have read in the last days about DUPA I started to have a lot of stress... I also planned to have a small transplant of like 500 grafts in my templates in the future when i will lose them, now I don't know if it's even possible...

Would like to hear what you think,

thanks man!

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question, but I must say that hair system looks really good.

danielx111

Reaction score
Thanks man! In my entire life nobody knew I went bald (I started shedding at 15, today im 23), I used toppik in high school, 6 months ago i decided to go for hair system after a lot of research, I bought it online and cut it my self since I always cut my own hair it wasn't hard for me, thanks god nobody found out this is not my hair, even my ex. but now the shedding at sides making me so upset, until i finally found a solution a new thing came up hahah

Here's more photos of the hair system (Don't put attention to the place hahaha).

http://imgur.com/a/ThOix

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, thank you so much for your fast reply, your awesome!

What is that "Telogen Effluvium"?

When I look at my father head which he is bald at the top for over 25 years, i can tell that his nap is thin and also the sides are thin, but there are still hair remaining there.

The reason I'm so worried is beacause I wear hair system, i attached a photo so you can see, i have no hair at the top, im scared to lose my sides and be 100% bald there, if it just thinner, i don't mind, i can apply Toppik which i did on the top of my head for over 7 years so apply some at the sides won't matter for me in the future haha

I just scared to lose the entire hair there.

This is me with the hair system now days :

http://i.imgur.com/2hW8vEp.jpg

Since I have read in the last days about DUPA I started to have a lot of stress... I also planned to have a small transplant of like 500 grafts in my templates in the future when i will lose them, now I don't know if it's even possible...

Would like to hear what you think,

thanks man!

It is quite common for older men to to suffer from a condition called Senile Alopecia. This is defined as the thinning of the back and the sides, which sounds exactly like Retrograde Alopecia! This has led to a lot of discussion in the hair loss world of whether or not they are the same thing. Current consensus seems to suggest that Retrograde Alopecia is simply and early onset form of Senile Alopecia. So as it pertains to you, it would entirely depend on when your father's back and sides began to thin. However, it is exceeding rare that you would be suffering from this condition considering you seem to be young or middle age. It can (rarely) happen in your 20s or 30s. I had the exact same worries you've been going through but I ended up having Chronic Telogen Effluvium. It is a condition where stress, weight loss, or an injury can cause intense shedding diffusely through the scalp. You most likely have this. One way you can tell if you are currently shedding is by doing a hair pull test. There is plenty of info on this online. The only way you can be 100% it is Retrograde Alopecia is if you have your dermatologist exam your back and sides under a microscope for miniaturization. If the miniaturization rate is above 25% then you may have Retrograde Alopecia. But like I said, this is VERY uncommon. Just take a chill pill man. By the way, that is the most convincing system I've ever seen.

danielx111

Reaction score
Hey man, thank you so much for the detailed information and the compliment :roll:

Well, I'm having a lot of stress, I always been with stress, that's why my palms are always sweating.

Lets say I do have Retrograde Alopecia, it means I'm going to be bald at the sides or just have thin hair there like my father, He still has hair there, if he put toppik it will be thick like he never lost a single hair. if that's the case then im ok even if it's Retrograde Alopecia.

Second question is, what do you mean hair pull test? If I put my head under white paper and start rub my sides and back, a lot of hair will fall, atleast 30 if i didn't take a shower couple of hours before that test.

What is that means then? :O

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, thank you so much for the detailed information and the compliment :roll:

Well, I'm having a lot of stress, I always been with stress, that's why my palms are always sweating.

Lets say I do have Retrograde Alopecia, it means I'm going to be bald at the sides or just have thin hair there like my father, He still has hair there, if he put toppik it will be thick like he never lost a single hair. if that's the case then im ok even if it's Retrograde Alopecia.

Second question is, what do you mean hair pull test? If I put my head under white paper and start rub my sides and back, a lot of hair will fall, atleast 30 if i didn't take a shower couple of hours before that test.

What is that means then? :O
It most likely means that you are currently going through a telogen effluvium shed.

danielx111

Reaction score
I have seen these words "telogen effluvium" but google translate can't translate them to my language so I wasn't sure what it means, i guess it means that i shed because of stress but i couldn't find any information how can i stop this, do you have a clue what should I do?

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have seen these words "telogen effluvium" but google translate can't translate them to my language so I wasn't sure what it means, i guess it means that i shed because of stress but i couldn't find any information how can i stop this, do you have a clue what should I do?
If it is Telogen Effluvium you need to just eliminate stress, injury, sickness, or whatever else is shocking your body.

danielx111

Reaction score
It's going to be hard but I will do my best then :)

You said something about hair pull test, what did you mean exactly?

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's going to be hard but I will do my best then :)

You said something about hair pull test, what did you mean exactly?
Grasp 60 hairs and pull gently. If you pull out more than 6 then you are currently losing hair. Telogen Effluvium is temporary hair loss. It all grows back later.

danielx111

Reaction score
Grasp 60 hairs and pull gently. If you pull out more than 6 then you are currently losing hair. Telogen Effluvium is temporary hair loss. It all grows back later.

Oh i see, by the way I just want to say that incase the wrost case is "Retrograde Alopecia", the hair will be thining but hair would still stay at my sides and back to fill with something like toppik right?

Thank you for all the answers, this is the last question, thank you!

M.G

Established Member
Reaction score
Retrograde alopecia can happen in a young age, especially if you got aggressive hairloss.

My cousin is in his mid 30s and he have almost lost most of his neck hair, donor area is still good though.

I'm 21 and have had retrograde alopecia since atleast when I was 14, but im a pretty extreme case. It runs in the family.

The most important thing is hair on top, so dont worry about the sides.

- - - Updated - - -

I also thought I had DUPA but my donor is still intact so it cant be it.

labellavita1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually telogen effluvium is not as harmless as you guys make it sound, especially in cases where it turns into CTE (chronic telogen effluvium.) It is more than likely that a person will never recover 100% density after an episode of Telogen Effluvium/CTE. Telogen Effluvium/CTE is basically hair cycle dysfunction, and hairs are constantly entering telogen exponentially sooner than they should, even after an episode of acute Telogen Effluvium has technically ended. What's the point of having unminiaturized hair and relatively normal density when it's constantly falling out? Additionally, the psychological impact of constant shedding is absolutely unbearable. Lastly, if a person also has underlying Androgenetic Alopecia (which the OP does,) it's going to be much, much harder for them to recover from an episode of Telogen Effluvium.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually telogen effluvium is not as harmless as you guys make it sound, especially in cases where it turns into CTE (chronic telogen effluvium.) It is more than likely that a person will never recover 100% density after an episode of Telogen Effluvium/CTE. Telogen Effluvium/CTE is basically hair cycle dysfunction, and hairs are constantly entering telogen exponentially sooner than they should, even after an episode of acute Telogen Effluvium has technically ended. What's the point of having unminiaturized hair and relatively normal density when it's constantly falling out? Additionally, the psychological impact of constant shedding is absolutely unbearable. Lastly, if a person also has underlying Androgenetic Alopecia (which the OP does,) it's going to be much, much harder for them to recover from an episode of Telogen Effluvium.
I would know. I had chronic telogen effluvium. Still haven't gotten 100% density back after almost 3 years

hairlineiseverything

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for the up but i think i've been suffering from Chronic telogen effluvium for 1-3 years. How should I proceed? get bloodtests done? I've been on propecia for 3 weeks.

justlookingforanswers

My Regimen
Reaction score
Retrograde alopecia can happen in a young age, especially if you got aggressive hairloss.

My cousin is in his mid 30s and he have almost lost most of his neck hair, donor area is still good though.

I'm 21 and have had retrograde alopecia since atleast when I was 14, but im a pretty extreme case. It runs in the family.

The most important thing is hair on top, so dont worry about the sides.

- - - Updated - - -

I also thought I had DUPA but my donor is still intact so it cant be it.
wait so you said you have had retrograde alopecia since you were 14. does that mean your sides and back are fully bald now or is it just thin? can you send a photo please. i think i may have this and im only 19...

justlookingforanswers

My Regimen
Reaction score
by much harder to recover so you mean the hair that falls out won’t come back as 100% and will instead be miniaturized or do you mean it just takes longer for it to grow back to normal