dtcb's story

dtcb

Reaction score
Fairly body consious in High School, College (probable narsasitic tendencies). Noticed hair thining in College (around 1990-91). Started 2% rogaine back then twice daily (was the only thing available). Now doing %5 Rogaine for the last 3 years (plus recently started using Nizoral infrequently). Have a type III pattern of baldness now so, no crown hair loss but a hairline that is receding at the temples and right in the front. It's a slow gradual progress, like the ocean wearing away a beachfront.

My balding pattern seems to always start in a phase. First a little bald spot right at the front of the hairline appears (as small as the tip of the pinky finger), then the rest of the hairline sheds to match it's position. I'd say my hairline has gone back about an inch from it's original position in High School (but, more pronounced on the temples).

Tried Saw Palmetto for a while, didn't think is was really making a difference. Rogaine is definitely retarding the loss of my hair but, I would really like something that could start my hairline growth (without erectile funciton issues - so I've not tried to use finasteride or pro).

As an expirement, I have just started to try Ho Shou Wu - a supposed chinese herbal medicine that's suppose to get rid of grey hair and promote hair health (plus vitalize blood, liver function, etc. blah and blah). It will be part of my regement as afternoon tea. It costs about 10 bucks US for 600 grams of the stuff in most chinese medicine stores. So I'm not worried about getting ripped off. 600 grams is a months worth of tea.

I'm a non-Asian living in Hong Kong and am extemely sceptical of hokey herbalistic stuff ( = anti-hippy). So trying Ho Shou Wu is a stretch for me. To me 'holistic' and 'snakeoil' are one in the same (in Asia, literally). But, I do know some chinese medicine is based on valid scientifically proven chemical analysis. Ginseng ups your blood pressure, therefore, boosting energy (but like caffiene, has a 'crash' phase afterwards). However, drinking snake blood, bear bile, or any form of dried penis for verililty is got to be the most pathetic (and subconsiously homosexual) thing I have ever heard of and I constantly 'rail' against it. So, when I read about Ho Shou Wu, I first mockingly laughed. But, if for any other reason, I'll try it to see if it can keep me awake at work in the afternoon (one of it's properties is for energy/stamina). My first try was yesterday and it tastes better than "Pu Erh" tea (= not good but not bad) and definitely gave me a suffuse amount of energy that was not over the top (like caffeine or ginseng) but, had an easy let down. I'll open a seperate thread and let every one know if it makes any change in my hair density or health. It would probably take 3 or 4 months to see any minute change so, we'll see.

Oh, I've seen a few threads here on some people in US mentioning how jealous there were of seeing Asian's with full heads of dark hair. Well folks, people in Asia (and I've been to most the countries here) are balding just as much as the rest of us. Hong Kong itself has a large 'balding' community. Knock it down to city life, stress, chemicals/pollution, whatever but, male pattern baldness is definitely a universal affliction that sucks for all. Ethnic genetics offer no sanctuary.

So, back to treatment. Besides Saw Palmetto, I've managed to completely avoid most 'fool's gold' and kept Rogaine as a strict part of my regiment. I hate hair loss with a passion; and if a tried and true remedy comes along with no ill side affects; I'll probably grow a mullet in it's honor. But, for now, I take my vitamins, avoid smoking, diet and exercise, and Rogaine. We'll see if the Ho Shou Wu has any health benefits (make some hairs dark and thick?) in the long run.

Until then, I'm avoiding mirrors to reduce depression and stress. Thanks to all who have posted here already.

Andrew

Established Member
Reaction score
welcome dtcb,

I welcome you to this board... I am Asian Chinese too... also doing He shou wu....

Do update us on your progress!!!

dtcb

Reaction score
Howdy Andrew,

Read a few of your posts here and there. Thanks for the hello!

Well, I've been taking Ho Shou Wu (Radix Polyconi Mulitflori) for afternoon tea for the last 3 or 4 days (might have missed a day) but, obviously it's not done anything yet hair wise.

The other benefits though are good. Ho Shou Wu has definitely given a bit of energy to my afternoon. Primary acknowledgement will be that; on average, work zonks me out and I get home begging to just crawl into bed. These past few evenings I've been up to about 23:00 p.m. alert and comfortable. I fall asleep normally and wake up normally at 07:00 a.m. even with interuptions (have a 3 year old child to keep me on my toes). Improved blood circulation? Possibly. It's affects are mild and somehow I associate with a small dosage of korean red ginseng (small being 1/4 a teaspoon). Warm hands but none of the high blood pressure/frantic energy of certain types of ginseng in regular doses.

Anyways, it's probably part of the "mystique" of Ho Shou Wu. It's subtle affect is probably helping in an overall sense of health but, directly affecting hair growth? Still skeptical. We will have to see after 3 or 4 months. I am going to try and keep up a regiment of once a day for at least 3 or 4 months. It's not hard to regulate since, it's much cheaper in Hong Kong.

I'm looking for a return to front and temple hair line so can't really be too over optimistic here. And I don't have enough gray hair to know if it really gets rid of gray hair. But, it's supposed liver cleansing and other health benefits may be freeing my body up to keep my hair healthy. I'm trying to make a somewhat healthy lifestyle as part of my hair regrowth regiment. Somewhat healthy.

dtcb

Reaction score
overall results of Radix Polyconi Multiflori

I haven't found HuShouWu to be much of a difference. I've started Revivogen (since January 2005) and believe that is making a more substantial impact (my hair went through a shedding phase and is in a growth phase now). I still drink the tea as I find it not that unpleasant but, I don't consider it in any league with real hair products like Rogain or Revivogen.

May consider purchasing a Laser Comb.........when their cost becomse reasonable.