Dry and sensitive Scalp

klik

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thanks a lot for this great forum! It has helped me a lot through my hairloss problems, and now I've finally registered and hoping to participate in this great community.

I've been on Propecia for 10 months now, and have used different kinds of shampoos and conditioners for my hair to help me in my battle against male pattern baldness. None of them have given me the results I want though, so I think it's time to get your help.

I've read a lot about different kind of shampoos you're recommending, like Nizoral, TGel/TSal,emu Oil etc, but it looks like all those shampoos are for people with oily scalps or for people who are flaking.

I've been on propecia for 10 months now, and haven't experienced any shedding or flaking, I just have a naturally very dry and sensitive scalp, and it has become even more dry after I started with Propecia/my hairloss started. My scalp is also producing dandruff, but not that much. I can only see it after I've showered. My scalp has also started to itch after I began with Propecia/Finasteride.

Anyway, I need your help to set up a shampoo and conditioner regiment for my dry, sensitive, itchy and dandruff producing scalp. Here's some questions:

- Shall I used Nizoral 1% every 3rd day, or is Nizoral not recommended for people with a dry scalp? I guess Nizoral 2% would be way to harsh for me?

- Is TGel/TSal for persons with a dry scalp like me, or for people with Oily and flaking scalps? Neutrogenas site says it's for the oily ones (the opposite of my scalp) Is TGel/TSal for daily use?

- What do you think of Neutrogenas Triple Moisture Active Soothing Shampoo and Triple Moisture Active Soothing Conditioner? Here's
Neutrogenas products. Is this what I'm looking for, as my daily shampoo/conditoner, or is TGel/TSal better for hairloss?

- Anyone who've tested Jasons Aloe Vera 84% or Emu Oil? Would that be a better option for my dry scalp as a daily shampoo/conditioner?

I've wrote a lot here, but what I'm looking for is just a shampoo and a conditioner for a balding guy with a dry and sensitve scalp with a small dandruff problem. My hair is also dry and my scalp is itching. I want to use the shampoo and the conditioner daily, and Nizoral 1% every 3rd day.

Thanks a lot for your help. This forum is incredible :D

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
I would shampoo less often if you have dry skin.

Maybe every second day if your doing it daily. Any shampoo will do, look for one that says forumalted for dry skin.

Through in Nizoral 1% maybe once a week or so, but mainly people who use minoxidil use this as it helps stop itching and flaking caused by the PPG in this solution.

Toss the conditioner, any extra chemicals you leave off your head can only help I'd say.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I suggest you maintain a 2-3/x weekly Nizoral shampoo. I suggest you continue to shampoo once a day, but use a very mild and anti-irritative shampoo. I suggest Paul Mitchell Shampoo One for your non-Nizoral days, or perhaps Infusium 23 "Original" blend.

klik

Reaction score
Thanks a lot of your help guys!

My hair is pretty weird. It looks great, but are pretty dry after I've washed it. And then the day after it becomes really oily. So I'd like to wash my hair every day. My doctor and hair dresser have said that I have a slightly dry scalp, with dandruff, so I guess I need a shampoo that will make my scalp less dry and make my hair more moisturized.

I think I'll use Nizoral 1% 2-3 times a week then, and a mild shampoo the remaining days. I'll go for Paul Mitchell One, Infusium 23, Jason Aloe Vera 84% or something like that. I guess I have to test different kinds of mild shampoos and hopefully find one that's great for my scalp and hair.

I thought conditioners were great for dry scalps? Moisturizing the hair and scalp, but maybe it just adds more chemicals that my sensitve skin doesn't need. Anyone with a dry scalp here with an opinion on this topic? Should I use a conditioner or not?

klik

Reaction score
A Swedish hair transplant site says that Shampoos/Conditioners containing Propylenglykol and/or Sodiumlaurelsulfate stiumulates hair loss and male pattern baldness. Almost every shampoo contains this, so I don't know if this is a known fact or not.

Nizoral, TGel/TSal, Infusium 23 and Paul Mitchell One all contains Sodiumlaurelsulfate, so I guess it's not that damaging to use shampoos/conditioners with these chemicals.

I just found two interesting products though. Jason Natural Cosmetics Tea Tree Scalp Normalizing Shampoo / Conditioner. It looks like this is just what I'm looking for. The product discription says the shampoo and conditioner doesn't contain any Lauryl/Laureth Sulfates, so maybe this is something people with hair loss should consider when choosing hair products?

So far my regiment will look like this:
- Nizoral 1% 2-3 days a week
- Jason Natural Cosmetics Tea Tree Scalp Normalizing Shampoo / Conditioner the non-nizoral days.

It would be interesting with some input on the impact Propylenglykol/Sodiumlaurelsulfate could have on hair loss.