Drug Dupilumab Restores Hair Growth In Patient With Long Standing Alopecia Totalis

Nicedude

My Regimen
Reaction score
A new FDA approved drug called Dupilumab was all over the news recently that restored hair growth in a patient with Long standing Alopecia Totalis and Atopic Dermatitis.

Link to the articles
https://www.massgeneral.org/about/pressrelease.aspx?id=2304
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-10-eczema-drug-hair-growth-patient.html

A clinical trial is also running for treating Alopecia Areata (AA) With Dupilumab
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03359356

Images
Senna%20web%201.jpg

Senna%20web%202.jpg

I have found two reviews for Dupilumab from drugs.com that are related to hair.

Review from drugs.com
For Eczema :
"Was in clinical trial and steadily the incessant itching went away... Have been on the drug more than 3 years and have calm skin. Still prone to minor flares if I over heat or get too stressed. Initially had itchy eye rims but now wash lids with baby shampoo in shower and it stopped. I carry mild steroid cream just in caseI feel a sense of itching coming on.... oddly I have increased thick hair growth - no hair thinning as before. Rarely get sick. Seem to heal faster. I sometimes feel as though itch might be coming back just prior to my second shot of month"

bravogolden (taken for 2 to 5 years)

Review from drugs.com
For Atopic Dermatitis :
"I started dupixent mid February and by March my hair started falling out. I have always had thick curly hair and now my hair is so thin. I only took 4 shots and had to stop because of so much hair loss. Every time I wash my hair it’s falls out in clumps. My doctor says I have to wait until the drug is completely out of my system but I've been off for 3 weeks and my hair continues to fall out. I feel like suing the drUg company because there is no way they did not know this was a side effect. I wish I never started this drug. I’ve had eczema my whole life but the last couple of years have been the worst I’ve had it. It was taking over my life. My whole body and face was covered with oozing crusty eczema and had to call out of work for days . I was so depressed . I don’t want to go bald . I hope my hair stops falling out soon. Has anyone else experienced hair loss if so how long and has it grown back?"

Jay (taken for 1 to 6 months)

Quote from jamanetwork.com
Dupilumab is an interleukin (IL)-4 receptor alpha antagonist that was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration in March 2017 for the treatment of adult patients with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis not adequately controlled with topical therapies. Dupilumab is a fully human monoclonal antibody that binds to the alpha subunit of the IL-4 receptor and inhibits downstream signaling of IL-4 and IL-13, thus inhibiting the helper T cell, type 2 (TH2) pathway activation and cytokines that play a key role in atopic diseases.1 While dupilumab has been associated with adverse reactions including injection-site reactions, conjunctivitis, blepharitis, oral herpes, keratitis, eye pruritus, other herpes simplex virus infection, and dry eye,1 there have been no reports to our knowledge of hair growth in alopecia areata (AA) related to dupilumab. We report herein the first known case of hair growth in a patient with alopecia totalis associated with the use of dupilumab.

Thanks for reading!

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like interleukin receptor inhibitors have a lot of pro-hair effects, seem to remember a case study of an individual that had significant thickening and reversal of grey hair from suppression of IL-17 signalling. Interleukin expression in HF's is responsible for such pro-miniaturising factors like TNF-α. It's to bad that IL inhibitors are prohibitively expensive..