Dropping finasteride for dutasteride, need advice

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for a little over 2 years and have had success up until now. I am a diffuse thinner and while on finasteride I noticed thickening everywhere except for on the crown, however I was able to maintain for a while. in the last 4 months it seems like i have been losing a LOT of density and the crown is now worse than its ever been. Seems like I need a boost so I am going to switch to dutasteride.

What would be a good starting dose and how often should i take it? Also...I am deathly afraid of dropping the finasteride and the dutasteride not working...would it be ok to still take the finasteride and work the dutasteride in and see if I notice any thickening before I completely drop the finasteride, to make sure the dutasteride will actually work?

Last question, for all of you that have used dutasteride successfully, do you have a prescription, or do you buy it online? I'm skeptical of online meds because I bought some finasteride online and used it for a few months when i ran out of my script and lost tons of hair, and when i went back to the script it seems i gained most of it back.

All advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

LosingTouch

Reaction score
I'd love to hear more on this also. I understand the difference between the two but when you drop finasteride for dutasteride will the progress/maintaining you achieved on finasteride go away or simply carry over and hopefully progress further with dutasteride?

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input manut! Do you have a script for you dutasteride or do you buy it online? also, I second losingtouch's question.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
LosingTouch said:
I'd love to hear more on this also. I understand the difference between the two but when you drop finasteride for dutasteride will the progress/maintaining you achieved on finasteride go away or simply carry over and hopefully progress further with dutasteride?

Option 2: Carry over and hopefully progress further with dutasteride. Perhaps with a shed thrown in (not of the wooden variety) to shake things up.

In re: Original questions.... 0.5 mg Avodart/day should give you a decent boost, much less than that and the gain over 1.25 mg finasteride. becomes pretty narrow. No need to continue on with finasteride so long as you're happy the Avodart is genuine - this is one reason to get it from a doctor if at all possible, the other being cost. The cheapest non-prescription site for GSK Avodart is the Switzerland-based merlonipharma.ch - and 90 capsules delivered will still set you back 140 Euros/210 Swiss Francs, whichever is cheaper in your home currency. And ordering from them is a bit of a hassle.

Of course there are always the generics. I've not used them myself so can't really comment on their efficacy, but I do know I'd always be paranoid as to whether they have the same potency as actual GSK produce. Does one require more than .5 mg Duprost/Dutas etc. per day to equal one Avodart capsule? Probably not, but the possibility would drive me mad(der).

Or so wrote Slarti, who, starting today, will be away from the land of the internet until mid-August. Ish.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Yeah, well, first impressions can often be misleading.

But this time I really am off........................