Drinking minoxidil 5%

rcom440

Reaction score
hi guys, Something stupid happened to me Sunday around 1am.. I got home drunk and instead of applying minoxidil on my hair I drank a little bit of it.. I thought it will be more effective - I was just drunk and out of my mind. Actually It wasn't that bad (the taste I mean) but I had a stomach ache next day... I still can taste it in my mouth.. It's been 2 days and I think I feel fine but do you think I should seek a medical help, do you think it could mess me up later somehow. :(
thanks guys...

TBO

Reaction score
I would seek medical advice from a doctor as soon as possible. The drug description says that you shall avoid inhaling the spray, and you drank it, which means that you've also been inhaling alot.

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
OMG!

LOL youre one crazy fellow when youre drunk!

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
Even for a drunk dude, this is crazy!

omg omg omg.

But I think you will be ok though.

If you wouldnt, you would have experience more sh*t then a little stomach ache.

rcom440

Reaction score
hi guys, thanks for your comments. I think I'm o.k. To be honest with you, I don't think minoxidil (in this case Rogaine 5%) is dangerous. I had a stomach ache next day that's it. Actually yesterday night I noticed how much minoxidil I consumed. lol

It sounds silly but when I got home that night (I usually apply minoxidil to my scapl) I dont know what happened but I truly believed that I should drink it instead of applying it to my scalp. I think it's because I read somewhere that minoxidil can be taken orally in form of pill... I was drunk that's all

Innermind

Established Member
Reaction score
No big risk to you, as long as it wasnt a whole bottle. minoxidil is take all the time by people orally. The biggest risk is drop in blood pressure, which a person may not be able to tolerate but I dont think you had close to enough to harm yourself. You would have noticed something within the first few hours of ingesting. If its been 4 days than your fine.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
One critical piece of information you left out was HOW MUCH OF IT that you drank. If it was just the standard 1 mL that you swallowed, I wouldn't expect that to be a serious problem. But I strongly recommend that you NOT pull a stunt like that again!!

For your information, there's a case history in the medical literature of a man who tried to commit suicide by swallowing the entire contents of a bottle of 5% Rogaine (which contains a total of 3 grams of minoxidil). And it _would_ have killed him, too, had it not been for the immediate medical attention he got. He was in a BAD BAD way for a long time in a hospital, but he eventually recovered.

rcom440

Reaction score
Bryan said:
One critical piece of information you left out was HOW MUCH OF IT that you drank. If it was just the standard 1 mL that you swallowed, I wouldn't expect that to be a serious problem. But I strongly recommend that you NOT pull a stunt like that again!!

For your information, there's a case history in the medical literature of a man who tried to commit suicide by swallowing the entire contents of a bottle of 5% Rogaine (which contains a total of 3 grams of minoxidil). And it _would_ have killed him, too, had it not been for the immediate medical attention he got. He was in a BAD BAD way for a long time in a hospital, but he eventually recovered.

oh wow.. I drank around 2ml or something like that maybe even more - there was quite a lot missing next day when I woke up. Its hard to say exactly how much it was. I just had a stomach ache. Do you think it could affect my heart beat???

I didn't know it could kill you.

I also consumed a lot of alcohol that night, maybe somehow it neutralized minoxidil in my body.

I'm totally fine now.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the following is the same case to which I referred previously:

J Toxicol Clin Toxicol. 1999;37(6):781-3.
"Overdose of Rogaine Extra Strength for Men topical minoxidil preparation." Farrell SE, Epstein SK.
Department of Emergency Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA.

CASE REPORT: Minoxidil is a potent arterial vasodilator used in the treatment of hypertension. A side effect, hypertrichosis, has prompted the marketing of a topical preparation, Rogaine, for the treatment of male-pattern baldness. Recently, a 5% solution of minoxidil became available over-the-counter as Rogaine Extra Strength For Men Hair Regrowth Treatment. We describe an oral overdose of minoxidil 3 g as the Rogaine Extra Strength preparation. Toxicity manifested as profound hypotension, requiring vasopressor support, intubation, prolonged tachycardia, and fluid overload with pleural effusions, requiring several days of therapy with furosemide. This is the largest reported ingestion of minoxidil and the first reported overdose of the extra strength 5% solution.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an even older report:

Am J Emerg Med. 1989 Jul;7(4):419-21.
"Severe toxicity from ingestion of a topical minoxidil preparation." McCormick MA, Forman MH, Manoguerra AS.
San Diego Regional Poison Center, University of California-San Diego Medical Center 92103.

A 36-year-old man ingested several products, including a topical minoxidil solution. Within two hours of the ingestion the patient was difficult to arouse, tachycardic, and hypotensive with a systolic BP of 90 mmHg. Dopamine was required for two days to maintain his BP. Swan-Ganz catheter measurements demonstrated an increased cardiac output and decreased systemic vascular resistance. The estimated amount of minoxidil ingested was 1,000 mg. The patient recovered fully and was discharged nine days after the ingestion. The severity of symptoms and the prolonged duration of toxicity are disturbing because this product is becoming increasingly more popular and available.

rcom440

Reaction score
IBM said:
what about drinking 1ml of minoxidil per day?

Nothing, stomach ache in my case but please do not drink minoxidil... I read somewhere that there are people who actually drink small amounts of minoxidil for a hair loss... I don't know how that would help with hairloss lol

beaner

Reaction score
rcom440 said:
IBM said:
what about drinking 1ml of minoxidil per day?

I read somewhere that there are people who actually drink small amounts of minoxidil for a hair loss... I don't know how that would help with hairloss lol

They discovered that it grew hair as a side effect of taking it orally so I would think it's reasonable to assume that ingesting small amounts of the liquid would have a comparable effect. I would not at all recommend this, though.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. Swallowing a few drops of Rogaine would certainly be cheaper than buying Loniten tablets, but _I_ sure as hell wouldn't recommend it, either.

ali777

Reaction score
IBM said:
It might be a try if everything fails.

I think you are the most suitable candidate to try minoxidil orally.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
He may become a winner of the Darwin Award! :)