Drinking Green Tea And Increased Shgb

skyline999

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi gents,

Has anyone had elevated SHGB (sex hormone binding globulin) after drinking green tea? I've had this issue and it's causing finasteride sides of ED, mood swings, tiredness etc. Taking finasteride 1mg for 7 months prior to this, I don't know if I should reduce the dose of finasteride or should I wait and hope the SHGB goes down naturally whilst sticking to the 1mg dose?

Green tea consumption was between 2-5 cups a day. Stopped now.

Any help appreciated!

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
"There is a clinically established inverse relationship between sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia). Studies have shown that those with Androgenetic Alopecia have lower circulating levels of SHBG compared to the non-balding controls.

There are several drugs (like oral antiandrogens) that elevate SHBG levels but have a host of side effects that limit their usage on a continuous basis in men.

There are also, however, two health enhancing compounds that elevate SHBG levels while offering additional health benefits and are side effect free. Green Tea Extract elevates SHBG while having the added benefit of reducing estrogen levels, which via an SHBG binding route can upregulate androgen activity. Soy isoflavones have also been shown in several studies to elevate SHBG levels and to be mildly anti-estrogenic.

In addition to a significantly lower incidents of most types of cancer, including prostate cancer and breast cancer, the oriental population whose traditional diet is abundant in soy isoflavones and green tea catechins have a drastically lower overall incidence of androgenetic alopecia and acne compared to the US.

Interestingly, those of Asian origin living in the US have an almost identical incidence of androgen mediated disorders (prostate cancer, BPH, hair loss) as the US general population."

https://www.hairloss-research.org/LinkGreenTearaisesSHBG1-08.html

skyline999

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for that TomRiddle.

The reason why I asked this was because I started getting sides after 7 months on finasteride and thought I'd get some bloodwork done and it came back as highly elevated SHBG. The only thing I had introduced recently across the same time was the green tea and I was taking it for the health benefits, it did help a lot but then the sides kicked in.

The Doctor who examined the results stated the high SHBG can give the same symptoms as low Test and/or low Oestradiol.

Do you reckon it's the combo of the finasteride and the high/excessive consumption of Green Tea? Would finasteride cause it to elevate so much?

Last edited:

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for that TomRiddle.

The reason why I asked this was because I started getting sides after 7 months on finasteride and thought I'd get some bloodwork done and it came back as highly elevated SHBG. The only thing I had introduced recently across the same time was the green tea and I was taking it for the health benefits, it did help a lot but then the sides kicked in.

The Doctor who examined the results stated the high SHBG can give the same symptoms as low Test and/or low Oestradiol.

Do you reckon it's the combo of the finasteride and the high/excessive consumption of Green Tea? Would finasteride cause it to elevate so much?

I really don't know what to say for sure but i think that you really need to drink a lot and i mean a lot of green tea for it to have such a great impact on your hormones. Now considering your taking a steroid like finasteride that messes up your homeostasis it could influence it even more with the excessive green tea drinking. But if guess you know the only way you could find out, first cut out the green tea consumption and see how it goes, if the sides don't go away even after that i guess your just getting sides from the finasteride which is what i think it actually is... Leave the green tea for a while and see how it goes, and good luck. And also maybe take some zinc in the morning, some magnesium and some vit d3 it really helps, especially the zinc and magnesium

skyline999

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for tha
I really don't know what to say for sure but i think that you really need to drink a lot and i mean a lot of green tea for it to have such a great impact on your hormones. Now considering your taking a steroid like finasteride that messes up your homeostasis it could influence it even more with the excessive green tea drinking. But if guess you know the only way you could find out, first cut out the green tea consumption and see how it goes, if the sides don't go away even after that i guess your just getting sides from the finasteride which is what i think it actually is... Leave the green tea for a while and see how it goes, and good luck. And also maybe take some zinc in the morning, some magnesium and some vit d3 it really helps, especially the zinc and magnesium
Thank you for the advice. Do you take finasteride?

brill007

My Regimen
Reaction score
I drink green tea regularly for the past 20 years. Started finasteride as of 1 year ago though. No spike in sides from finasteride.

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you use?

Dermarolling lightly when i remember and some Regenepure Dr shampoo, some vitamins to keep me on the ground and a lot of exercise but i was lucky enough to not have such an aggressive hair loss, i'm 30+ and still have decent hair but i don't know how much it will last without a DHT blocker...

inmyhead

Reaction score
"There is a clinically established inverse relationship between sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia). Studies have shown that those with Androgenetic Alopecia have lower circulating levels of SHBG compared to the non-balding controls.

There are several drugs (like oral antiandrogens) that elevate SHBG levels but have a host of side effects that limit their usage on a continuous basis in men.

There are also, however, two health enhancing compounds that elevate SHBG levels while offering additional health benefits and are side effect free. Green Tea Extract elevates SHBG while having the added benefit of reducing estrogen levels, which via an SHBG binding route can upregulate androgen activity. Soy isoflavones have also been shown in several studies to elevate SHBG levels and to be mildly anti-estrogenic.

In addition to a significantly lower incidents of most types of cancer, including prostate cancer and breast cancer, the oriental population whose traditional diet is abundant in soy isoflavones and green tea catechins have a drastically lower overall incidence of androgenetic alopecia and acne compared to the US.

Interestingly, those of Asian origin living in the US have an almost identical incidence of androgen mediated disorders (prostate cancer, BPH, hair loss) as the US general population."

https://www.hairloss-research.org/LinkGreenTearaisesSHBG1-08.html

This study shows no effect on SHBG levels from drinking green tea.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3777853/

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This study shows no effect on SHBG levels from drinking green tea.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3777853/

Yeah i personally don't think also that it can actually cause some differences in the body, i guess maybe if you drink industrial amounts and are susceptible or maybe allergic or something, maybe some underlying conditions that could trigger something, i really don't know but as i said, personally i don't think it could have an impact but the information around it is contradictory as it is for many other things also...

inmyhead

Reaction score
Some time ago I was looking for ways to increase SHBG, but couldn't find anything - only very specific drugs..