Drinking alcohol and shedding next day!?

Bruce Banner

Reaction score
Hi all.

Has anyone else had a problem with drinking alcohol (even 2 beers) and the next day shedding!??

Every time i go out with my mates and party, the next day i lose a fair amount of hair, enough to go backwards in my maintence routine. This is also usually followed by another sometimes bigger shed a few days to a week later. Its so strange and frustrating. Its Dose dependent, so if i get really wasted i expect to see a larger shed. Enough to see a small difference in my hairline and thining areas.

My routine is nizoral, propecia once daily (for last 4 months) and minoxidil (5%) for last 4 years. I have also reccently changed to minoxidil (15%) in last few weeks, but problem is still occuring.

This problem has been going on for the last 2.5 years. ahhhh. I believe it may be due to some hair follicles being dependent on minoxidil and the alcohol thining my blood or somehting? The hairs the fallout have the root bulb usually in tact with some pigmentation loss at the bass. Its like they are all forced into telogen face ot something.

If anyone else could shed some light or have experinnced similar problems your input would be greatly appreciated. I have put a lot of hard work and dedication to my hair loss problem and even at one stage (3.5 years ago) had completely stable hair for about a year, until this starting happening. I hate seeing all my hard work go to waste.

Thank you.

Andrew

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's the alcohol that makes you shed.
I have the same problem too...

but i think it's got to do with the cigarette smoke getting into your scalp.

I only smoke when i go out for a drink. I notice that the next morning my scalp flakes and those flakes take out my hair.

Do you smoke?!

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
Stop drinking for awhile and see what happens. I you completely stop shedding, then that might tell you something. But, I honestly doubt drinking is causing this problem.

Bruce Banner

Reaction score
No i dont smoke, and i dont think that smoke could be causing it becuase i get the same problem if i drink at doors with mates or something.

Any other ideas??

Big thanks.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hair doesn't respond that quickly to stimuli. Unfortunately there is no way to prove or disprove that this is happening. Just know that the mind is a very powerful organ, and if the science says hair doesn't respond that fast to stimuli, there's a good chance the mind is involved somehow.

HairLossTalk.com

G

I think it is fair to say that we know little or nothing about "shedding" including how to define it.

powersam

Reaction score
yh

hair can respond very quickly to some stimuli though. one example would be sunburn. if you get a good sunburn on your scalp , your hair will be thin out in the next day or two. not permanently or anything , but sunburn causes the hair follicle to let go. At least thats what MensHealth told me. cant think of any other examples at the moment

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Drinking & Shedding

I drink about a twelve pack on weekend days and at least a quart every day and shedding is zero. Could be a cycle of growth that has kicked in however, I gotta watch that...

XL

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Re: Drinking & Shedding

xzel said:
I drink about a twelve pack on weekend days and at least a quart every day and shedding is zero. Could be a cycle of growth that has kicked in however, I gotta watch that...

XL

Xzel, or should I say, Ted Kennedy... I think that hairloss should be secondary to another problem you might have my friend! :crazy:

hopewas

Reaction score

what kind of idiot that goes through all this annoyance of regimens, etc.. would drink alcohol and ruin what you've been working for. alcohol, smoking, etc.. puts stress on your body...stress makes your hair fall out. if male pattern baldness is in your genes, your hair will fall out quicker in my opinion. i used to drink like a fish. but not since i started to lose hair. it's not smart. i could be wrong but that's what i believe. you have to reach an age and get past that drinking phase. especially if there's no girls around.. that's just f*****g gay if you just drink with your buddies. it's a whole masculinity thing

yello911

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: ...

hopewas said:
what kind of idiot that goes through all this annoyance of regimens, etc.. would drink alcohol and ruin what you've been working for. alcohol, smoking, etc.. puts stress on your body...stress makes your hair fall out. if male pattern baldness is in your genes, your hair will fall out quicker in my opinion. i used to drink like a fish. but not since i started to lose hair. it's not smart. i could be wrong but that's what i believe. you have to reach an age and get past that drinking phase. especially if there's no girls around.. that's just f*****g gay if you just drink with your buddies. it's a whole masculinity thing

Wow dude, tell us how you really feel. :freaked: Anyhoo, when I first started losing my hair at age 20, I thought maybe it was because of my drinking. I quit for 4 months and my hair was still falling out at the same rate. When I was around 27, I finally started to do stuff about my hair. My hair started to thicken and come back. Between my 28-30 years, I drank pretty heavily and although I don't smoke, the clubs were filled with 2nd hand. My hair continued to thicken. IMO drinking probably doesn't help, but I doubt it is a major cause either. My buddy Sean drank about as much as me and he has the hair of a 16 year old it seems.

G

Re: ...

yello911 said:
hopewas said:

Wow dude, tell us how you really feel. :freaked: Anyhoo, when I first started losing my hair at age 20, I thought maybe it was because of my drinking. I quit for 4 months and my hair was still falling out at the same rate. When I was around 27, I finally started to do stuff about my hair. My hair started to thicken and come back. Between my 28-30 years, I drank pretty heavily and although I don't smoke, the clubs were filled with 2nd hand. My hair continued to thicken. IMO drinking probably doesn't help, but I doubt it is a major cause either. My buddy Sean drank about as much as me and he has the hair of a 16 year old it seems.

There are many legitimate reasons to avoid bing drinking. At the very least, your liver and brain will appreciate it.

Then, there is the propensity for young drunken males to die in bar fights!

Good luck.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score

ShedMaster said:
Xzel, or should I say, Ted Kennedy... I think that hairloss should be secondary to another problem you might have my friend! :crazy:

LMAO. Actually I'm exaggerating. But I do drink more than the average person and yes, there was a time where I would drink and see shedding the next day. I would normally associate it with the alcohol but then came to realize that it has very little or nothing to do with alcohol. I still drink the same nowadays and don't shed. Having said that though, it's probably just a growth cycle as I mentioned earlier.

XL

ShedMaster

Reaction score

xzel said:
ShedMaster said:

LMAO. Actually I'm exaggerating. But I do drink more than the average person and yes, there was a time where I would drink and see shedding the next day. I would normally associate it with the alcohol but then came to realize that it has very little or nothing to do with alcohol. I still drink the same nowadays and don't shed. Having said that though, it's probably just a growth cycle as I mentioned earlier.

XL

true.

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
I am getting hammered tonight so I will let you know around noon tomorrow.

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
I am getting hammered tonight so I will let you know around noon tomorrow. :beer:

KrazyK

Established Member
Reaction score
I usually lose more hair then usual if I don't get enough sleep the night before. I guess that has to do with the stress I put on my body.