Dragonflygirl's Story

dragonflygirl

Reaction score
Hi, thought this might be of interest to people with likely Telogen Effluvium. I have always had a ridiculous amount of hair (I am 28). So much that people commented on it everywhere I went. I hated it and wore it up whenever possible. October 2001, I experienced a traumatic personal event that gave me severe anxiety. I almost had myself hospitalized, but thankfully managed with some anti-anxiety meds I was able to score. My hair was coming out in clumps and I had no idea what to do. Very scary. By December, I had probably a 1/4 of my original thickness. Very lucky to have that much to begin with. Derm said it was likely Telogen Effluvium. By June of 2002, people commented that it was getting thicker, it was growing back. Then, it started to fall out again, especially at the top. Extreme fatigue, combined with the info on this site finally brought me to the Dr. I have always had very heavy periods and this had led to iron-deficincy anemia. I was hospitalized and given three pints of blood. After a few months, and starting on Yasmin BC, the periods and hair shedding lessoned. Another Derm, supposed to specialize in hair loss, said not to worry, its growing back. I do have some genetic thining on the sides, but its very mild. Now, its growing back slowly, but I do experience heavy sheds from time to time. I have learned that a great deal of medication can cause hair loss and to be careful. I personally believe that those of us with hair loss problems have to have an almost zero tolerance policy regarding taking meds that may cause hair loss. It seems that I have a "hair trigger" response to this side effect. Either that or I am very sensitive to every shed hair! I have learned to live with less than my usual (now beloved) amount of hair. I always used to wish for normal, straight hair. Now I cringe when people look at my driver's photo and seem confused. I actually was asked about it on a job interview! It just goes to show..be careful what you wish for...

G

Hi Dragonflygirl,

Thanks for sharing your story. Thats great that you are having regrowth! Its a slow process, but you'll get there :)

I know what you mean about your old photo. I was looking at a couple of mine a few days ago and I was in utter shock as to how thick and healthy my hair was. I can't even remember what it's like to have hair like that!

Good luck and come back once in a while to let us know how you are doing!

Laura