Dr Pen M8 - Is it working properly?

kungfukenny

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just received my Dr Pen M8.

I was sceptical as to whether the needles actually move up and down as they are supposed to, or rather they just ‘vibrate’ - in the same way the very cheap pens do, so I recorded the device in motion and then slowed it down to try to find out.

he plastic cartridge itself does seem to move up and down, but I was studying the actual needles very closely and they don’t seem to be moving at all.

What do you guys think? Is this how they are supposed to work? Will I just do damage to my scalp with this or is it okay? Should I stick with the M8 or order the D2 and wait 6/8 weeks for it to arrive?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Edit - I can’t seem to be able to upload the video - anyone know how to upload videos on here?

doc_vinyard

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can upload the video to a site that specializes in videos and then link to it here.

kungfukenny

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Hope this works.

As you can see, the actual cartridge does seem to be moving up and down, but I have been watching the needles very closely and they don’t seem to be moving at all. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

doc_vinyard

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a Dr. Pen M8 and this is exactly how it looks when it is operating correctly.

Take the cartridge out of the pen and then press the plunger down all the way with your finger... you will see the needles (and the plastic plunger that the needles are embedded in) extend beyond the clear plastic tube, then release the plunger and the spring will retract the plunger and the attached needles. This is all that is happening with the cartridge... it is just happening very quickly when the cartridge is in the pen. It is moving in and out faster that the "refresh rate" of the human eye.

The Dr. Pen M8 16 needle cartridge has thinner needles that prior Dr. Pen versions. I looked at the cartridge under a USB microscope and posted the results here:

I used a Dr. Pen M8 with a 16 needle cartridge for the first time last week and it was much less painful to use than the Dr. Pen A6 12 needle cartridge that I've used in the past. The M8 is supposed to have the thinnest needles that are available in a dermapen. So I compared the M8 cartridges with the A6 cartridges under a USB microscope. Here's what that looked like:

s20201029_0002-jpg.jpg

The cartridge on the upper left is the M8 16 needle cartridge that came with the M8 pen. The upper right cartridge is also a M8 16 needle cartridge but it is a replacement cartridge that I purchased separately. The original M8 cartridge that came with the pen is indeed very sharp and thin and tapered for about a third of the length of the needles. The replacement M8 cartridge is slightly inferior in that it does not appear to be tapered to the same extent of the original M8 cartridge. The cartridge at the bottom is an A6 cartridge.

I used the M8 16 needle cartridge at 1.5mm depth and then washed it and put it back under the microscope again:

s20201030_0001-jpg.jpg

Looks just as sharp as before. I don't see any reason not to use it again. I wonder how many times I can use it before it becomes dull or bent.